13' GT Fluid Swap

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
i made the switch to Amsoil SS 5w30 and also did the transmission fluid...ive actually been a bit taken back at how awesome these fluids are.

I had redline in the tranny and motor and i thought it really coudnt get any better. Better than stock for sure. But when i swapped the redline out for Amsoil in the tranny, my shifting became EFFORTLESS. I thought i was going to need an MGW or barton bracket, nope this solved MY issue.

And as far as the motor oil, it just puurrsss...i cant believe im an amsoil believer now.

Only other oil i can compare it too is Motul 300V, same amazing-ness

This post sounds exactly like me in 2009 with my 2008 Mustang GT.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
Had the new fluids done on Tuesday before vacation. Amsoil ea017 filter with pennzoil ultra, amsoil severe gear and trans fluid. Thanks for the info unleashedbeast, the car is running nice. :rockon:

jojobee

Established Member
Had the new fluids done on Tuesday before vacation. Amsoil ea017 filter with pennzoil ultra, amsoil severe gear and trans fluid. Thanks for the info unleashedbeast, the car is running nice. :rockon:
Have you noticed a decrease in gear or transmission noise since your swap ?
I assume you have an auto since you didnt say anything about the friction modifier.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
Have you noticed a decrease in gear or transmission noise since your swap ?
I assume you have an auto since you didnt say anything about the friction modifier.

My bad forgot to add the friction modifier to the post. It's a manual. 16,000 miles. Yes less gear and trans noise.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is the list that many people have been asking for.

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. Amsoil RD30 excluded.

8 quart fill (Coyote GT)
8.5 quart fill (Track Pack GT & Boss 302)

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures and is lightly modded....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this. This lubricant must be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market. The Royal Purple 20-500 is the same oil filter.

If you have the Getrag MT82 6 speed manual

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, are experiencing grinding, or simply want the smoothest shifting possible.

If you have the 6R80 automatic 6 speed, this lubricant will help it survive the worst torture, lower internal friction, and reduce heat.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 3 quarts

Don't forget friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - pour in 2 ounces (half bottle). If the differential still chatters, use the remaining two ounces.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is how to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Is 2 qts really enough to replace the rear end fluid? Everywhere else says 3 qts?

Good catch, the older 8.8" was a 2.1 quart fill, 2 quarts were sufficient.

I see the new covers are calling for 2.55 quarts.

Making a change on my lists, thank you.

Last edited:

joey289

Established Member
Good catch, the older 8.8" was a 2.1 quart fill, 2 quarts were sufficient.

I see the new covers are calling for 2.55 quarts.

Making a change on my lists, thank you.

Nothing sucks worse then not having enough of something to finish the job...especially when you have to order the stuff online.

One other question...if you plan to change oil at 10k miles regardless what they tell you (mainly to make sure the dealership never gives you hassle if you have a warrantly issue) is the XL synthetic oil fine?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Oil change interval alone isn't the only reason to chose Signature Series. If you want the lowest internal friction, the best engine efficiency, with lower heat creation....you want the benefits of a 100% true synthetic base oil and top tier additive pack.

Using OE or XL sacrifices this.

joey289

Established Member
Oil change interval alone isn't the only reason to chose Signature Series. If you want the lowest internal friction, the best engine efficiency, with lower heat creation....you want the benefits of a 100% true synthetic base oil and top tier additive pack.

Using OE or XL sacrifices this.

So the XL is not a 100% true synthetic.... the shear price of these products is turning my stomach and that's with the 25% discount.

SixPak

Established Member
I've never bought into all the Amsoil Hype and have always used Redline products.
Question I have is would all the oil weights still apply with Redline as opposed to Amsoil, or am I on my own since I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid?

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I've never bought into all the Amsoil Hype and have always used Redline products.
Question I have is would all the oil weights still apply with Redline as opposed to Amsoil, or am I on my own since I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid?

With Red Line pick viscosity based on the HTHS viscosity. With Red Line you can generally step down a weight versus other oils.

For example:
Amsoil 5W-30 Signature Series (ASL) - HTHS viscosity = 3.2 cP
Pennsoil Ultra 5W-30 - HTHS viscosity = 3.1 cP
Red Line 5W-20 - HTHS viscosity = 3.0 cP

Red Line 5W-20 would be the suitable stand in for GF-5 30-weight oils.

Red Line 5W-30 has a HTHS viscosity of 3.7 cP which is line with most 40 weights.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread