13/14 Shelby vs 16/17 Hellcat

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
What about that cargo space tho?

#cargospacelife

I'm against the 13/14 shelby due to how much it cost to fix their 5.8.

I dont think it would be much more than a hellcat motor.

How much does it cost, and for what reason would it need fixed? Are they known for problems? Are they as solid as the 03/04 cobra motors?

Motors are solid. Rods could have been better, but like every other car, it is ALL in the tune. I personally would not run more than 800 on the motor, but planty of people beyond that w/o problems.

snakedoctor

Established Member
I would go with the auto if I get the hellcat. It will be my daily. One issue that I have is the value of the cars. The Shelby's seem to be holding its value pretty good while dodge seems to be pumping out the hellcat. The initial purchase price is probably gonna be the same either way.That's saying a lot for an almost 4 year old shelby

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want the auto, you might as well go hellcat. Thats kind of a big deciding factor, right there.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I would go with the auto if I get the hellcat. It will be my daily. One issue that I have is the value of the cars. The Shelby's seem to be holding its value pretty good while dodge seems to be pumping out the hellcat. The initial purchase price is probably gonna be the same either way.That's saying a lot for an almost 4 year old shelby

Just IMO, but if you are going to daily it as long as your Raptor(60k+ miles) both won't have great resale.

Dodge imo overbuilt the HC and you could find quite a few 16's sitting on the lots and dealers willing to really negotiate to get them off.

There may be another GT500 that makes the 13/14 seem outdated, and the Demon is coming out supposedly in a limited amount.

Having had a GT500(2011, partial daily driver) and driven an auto HC, I would go with the HC, depending on number$.

Prefer the interior of the HC more than the Shelby, and the power is on par. The 8 speed is solid.

earl lee

Established Member

You could always lease the hellcat last i checked it was like 3k down for $600 a month. With 10k miles per year. Think it was a 3 year lease. Im waiting for the widebody hellcat http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a33436/widebody-dodge-challenger-hellcat/ (not demon) and will prolly be getting a HC chally then.

snakedoctor

Established Member
I tend to keep my cars forever. Whatever I get I will keep just like I have my terminator. The reason that I got rid of the Raptor was I'm not a truck person. This was my first truck to own ever and I just wasn't impressed. For what I paid for it, it wasn't all that to me. Although I'm not concerned about resale, I would like to pick something that is going to hold it's value.

snakedoctor

Established Member
It's probably gonna come down to me test driving both. I honestly don't know how people did it around 1969/1970 with all the performance cars available

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I'm a ford guy. Been into mustangs since before I could even drive.

That said hellcat>13/14 gt500. Id take a charger though. Ive driven the shit out of both. Everything from mild to wild. The hellcats just do it for me way more than the gt500's. When it comes to modding there really is little comparison. 850 whp in a cat is childs play. It's just a couple bolt ons.

I'm really lusting after a trackhawk right now though.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've owned/driven neither, but it sounds like it's a win-win either way.
The '13/1'4 GT500 is one of my favorite cars. I currently have "Hellcat fever" though. Hellcat Challenger that is. I think it all comes down to either you want an A8/M6 and a daily driver or not.
Good luck OP and keep us posted.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
65000K miles on my 13 Shelby nothing has needed to be fixed. Hell Cat auto is a beast off the line but got it covered otherwise :) Not that I would ever race--- 16.5 to 17.3 MPG on the regular drive and as much as 22.5 on road trips with 70+ mph interstate driving.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Hellcat Challenger interior is pretty comfy and it really is a nice riding car. DD or not - an auto would bore me to tears. If handling is important then the Shelby is the obvious choice. Changing pullies on the HC to put down 800+ means you have to upgrade the driveshaft which runs about $1k...and an upgraded clutch in a manual HC will run you $2k. Seems like the resale for the Shelby is better than the HC. Either way you end up with a great car.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I am a couple years away from being able to do it but I've already narrowed it down to either a Trinity or Charger HC when I buy my next vehicle. Right now I'm leaning towards HC more for the ease of being able to take my kids with me. It will probably come down to availability and price for me once I'm ready. Who knows what a few years will do to the market on either of those cars.

Tough decision ahead of you, but still a win/win imo.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
depends on what you're looking for. for a DD i think an auto HC challenger would be saweeet!

That is how I understand them too. The Hellcat is a nice cruiser for a DD with the HP to back up a beating to most cars on the road. But it's a land boat. I would go with the GT500 simply from the looks stand point though. The Hellcat seems more comfortable and I'm sure there are going to be some amazing deals on them since there are some left over, and the Demon coming out. I just prefer the looks and size, in comparison to the Hellcat, of the GT500.

To be honest though, I would love to have either but if it were my money I would put it on the Shelby. I just don't care about pure HP as much as I used too. I'm content with my measly 03/04 Cobra power. Still puts a smile on my face when I get on it. =)

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
How much does it cost, and for what reason would it need fixed? Are they known for problems? Are they as solid as the 03/04 cobra motors?
They are fine. It's just when people push them hard, they fail like any other engine. A local nearly spent 25k building one. Just the 5.8 blocks bare are expensive.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
SRT vehicles seem to hold their value quite well. personally, i wouldnt concern myself over build numbers or exclusivity. just buy which one you enjoy driving. i would never not buy a car because "too many people have those" lol. not to mention where i live i see all of the above on a regular basis. between the HC chally/charger and 13/14 gt500 i see hc chargers the most. then 13/14 gt500, then hc chally. the rare bird is the gt350. ive only seen a couple on the street.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'll give my 2cents although I've never owned either vehicle. I have owned 2 GT500's, an 09 with 13/14 TVS and a 12 PP with 13/14 TVS. I do currently own a SRT charger 392. Both GT500's were very fast with the 13/14 TVS...10.7 @ 130 + fast. Neither were that great a driving car. They both handled well, the 12 much better than the iron block 09. The 12 gave up considerable road quality to achieve it's handling. The interiors in both were cheap. The 12 did have Recaro's and touch screen nav, but you could feel the $20K V6 quality point less those components.

The Charger is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the HC and to me it handles well, and also in street mode almost rides like a luxury car. The interior is worlds superior any S197 mustang. Leather/faux suede seats, heated/cooled. This car is very quick/fast for the power it makes, I could only imagine how much more fun it'd be with another 200+ hp. And the factory exhaust sounds perfect. I kick myself for not biting the bullet and just getting an HC.

Users who are viewing this thread