13/14 Shelby vs 16/17 Hellcat

snakedoctor

Established Member
I'm going to make a new purchase in the next few months to replace the Raptor that I got rid of. I have narrowed it down to a 13/14 Shelby or a new 16/17 Hellcat Challenger. I would like to hear from the owners of these cars about the likes and dislikes and which car they think is better.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dis will be good. @Booky. Get a Hellcat Charger and get four door. Hellcat newer so there is that. Thought interior was nicer in Hellcat. I was impressed with the Hellcat Charger i drove.

Love my Shelby but i would go Hellcat.

chris1badL

Established Member
I bought a 2015 hellcat about a month ago. I came from a 2016 whipple gt so can't compare the gt500 but the suspension is better on the mustang I think. Hellcat is a big car so it wants to stay straight. I wanted something different that not everyone has. I don't really have many complaints on the hellcat. If you get a hellcat be ready for lots of conversation and questions about the car. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

snakedoctor

Established Member
I've been browsing the hellcat forum and it seems that many people have jumped ship from the Shelby to a hellcat. One of my concerns is I like to have something exclusive and it looks like dodge isn't slowing down anytime soon on the hellcat. There are still many new 16's on the lot. I've also heard that the 5.8 is just about maxed out.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
A friend of mine has both. He let me drive his hellcat. It is nice, definitely, has a lot of gimmicks, rides great, but I prefer the 13/14 Shelby over the hellcat. Maybe it is because the Shelby has more character.

Both are nice vehicles, I guess it is personal preference at this point.

LEXiiON

chris1badL

Established Member
Hellcat is a bigger car for sure. If you want room or family space, I'd go hellcat. I couldn't fit anything in my mustang. Challenger is a different story. I also love the suede interior. I have never owned a dodge and wanted to try something else, that's the reason I switched.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
depends on what you're looking for. for a DD i think an auto HC challenger would be saweeet!

04MysticCobra

Established Member
My good friend has the twins Hellcat Challenger and Charger. Both are sweet rides but he prefers the Charger if he had to make a choice. I will be sticking with another 13/14 GT500 when the time comes. Just hope the prices for a low mileage Shelby will drop slightly when the newer GT500's come out.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
They are both real nice cars. Both perform the same in manual form, with an edge to the auto in a straight line. 500 handles much better though. Both can be modded to go much much faster real easy but again, the hellcat has an edge there too.

I like that the 500 seems a little more rare that the hellcats.

I like the looks of the 500 better but that is very subjective, not to mention that the hellcats are also great looking cars.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I got rid of my Shelby for. A8 hellcat Challenger.

I agree with most of the above. It's pretty much personal preference.

Having had both now I would say the following:
-if it's a weekend toy get the Shelby
-if you're going for a DD get the hellcat.

Both are great. I loved my Shelby. Only got rid of it due to high miles. Now I love the hellcat. No regrets from either car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Don't own either however they are both awesome cars. Myself I'd probably go with a 13/14 GT500. OP I'd try and drive each and see what you like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
They are both real nice cars. Both perform the same in manual form, with an edge to the auto in a straight line. 500 handles much better though. Both can be modded to go much much faster real easy but again, the hellcat has an edge there too.

I like that the 500 seems a little more rare that the hellcats.

I like the looks of the 500 better but that is very subjective, not to mention that the hellcats are also great looking cars.

What about that cargo space tho?

OP, what about a CTS-V? Kind of the happy medium. Handles better than the HC, nicer interior than the Shelby (subjective). 15+ V is 650hp stock and used can be had for around $50k.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Between those I would personally go for the GT500. It just speaks to me more than the hellcat twins.

I would also consider a CTS-V if I HAD to have a 4 door. Which may happen eventually lol.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Between those I would personally go for the GT500. It just speaks to me more than the hellcat twins.

I would also consider a CTS-V if I HAD to have a 4 door. Which may happen eventually lol.
I always said the same thing (more like I would say I wasn't a taxi), my S4 was my first 4 door car, and now the V. It isn't as bad as I thought, lol. You can get a 09-14 coupe though.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I always said the same thing (more like I would say I wasn't a taxi), my S4 was my first 4 door car, and now the V. It isn't as bad as I thought, lol. You can get a 09-14 coupe though.

I've had a couple typical non sporty 4 doors, and it's a blessing with a newborn/toddler. Makes life way easier.

Users who are viewing this thread