13/14 Shelby or 15/16 Roush Stage 3

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Sounds like you're strongly leaning towards a Roush Stage 3. As long as you're happy with your choice, that's all that matters. Hope it works out for you, including a lower than MSRP deal. Keep us posted.

I'll put it this way Bob, if the dealer won't negotiate well below MSRP then there will be no sale lol. The car I referenced earlier has been sitting on their lot for quite some time now and continues to get marked down every month or so. I would be very surprised if they refuse to come down any further since they are a known volume dealer.

My other option that I have been considering is a low mileage used Hellcat, but I would have to test drive one first to see what all the hype is about.

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
A GT500 is just a mustang at the end of the day

Thanks for the laugh. Can't wait to see the one-off custom you must be driving.

OP - the RS3 is not a bad car. Numbers-wise their TVS isn't bad at all. The main reason I don't like them is the fit and finish. Double-sided tape for the non-functional hood scoop? No thanks.
But if you like the look go for it. It's still a head-turner.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

nickf2005

Established Member
Terrible counter with the Corvette there...

Yeah, I can see where he's coming from on the Mustang, but the counter was way off basis. Every grandpa and wanna be can be found in a base-model. At least the Corvettes don't look like the V6. ;)

Also, the whole, "it looks like a v6..." thing to me is an irrelevant fact. Of course it's going to look like a V6, it's made on the EXACT same chasis/body. 50% of a Shelby is the same as a V6. What else do you expect from a high-volume production company? A freaking Bugatti? Get over yourself. When's the last time you HEARD a 3.7 V6 sound like a 5.4/5.8 Supercharged V8?

Anyways, back to topic, OP. I think both cars are cool. The dealer I take mine to for oil changes is the largest Roush dealer in the country. http://www.rayskillmanford.com/roush-performance/ While I wait, I'm always eyeballing them on the lot. However, I've never had that personal lust for them like the Shelby. The history and presence of a Shelby variant, to me, will always stand above a Roush. That's not to discount the capabilities of a new R3 either, because it would walk my stock 2012.

End of the day, it's your choice. You're going to get a million different opinions to your direct question of "Roush or GT500?" including, "Hey man, I have a cousin's buddy's uncle who modded his GT and it'll beat a GT500, you should just do that and save the money". Screw them. I'm proud to own a "special edition", high-volume car. And guess what, it's not because I think it makes me look cool. My black stripe delete falls in line with every other Mustang to 95% of the people I drive by. Just the other day I had a Mustang (V6) owner ask me if mine was a V8... I'm proud to own it because it's what I've been dreaming about since I knew what Mustangs were.

Buy what will make you happy and what you an afford. If that's a $65,000 R3, then so be it. If that's a $50,000 2013 GT500, so be it. Buy one and drive the piss out of it.

Sorry that turned into a rant.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
GT500.

The Roush is still a GT vin and will depreciate like you bought a GT without negotiating at all, paid extreme dealer markup, asked for every additional fee you could, paid 3x for the crap dealer "sealants" and generally walked out with a gaping asshole from the raping you just got.

A GT500 will depreciate much slower due to the fact its the top trim level.

madscotsman

Established Member
If I was looking for an investment I call E.F Hutton

This x5.56 (lol),
It amazes me at how many people start to talk about depreciation comparisons as if that's even a factor when 99.99% of us buys a car. I leave those concerns to my discussions with my investment guy when discussing my son's college fund or my retirement. I was more worried about how long the tires were going to last. They are both cheaply made, mass produced, American muscle cars with cheap plastic Mexican and Chinese parts that we overpay for because of someone's name on them, and a rediculous amount of power.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Yeah, I would still steer way clear of the Roush. Not only that, but the GT500 has already taken a significant hit in depreciation, so you stand to lose less. If the next GT500 is a bigger and better S/C V8 though, the old Shelby is going to start to depreciate at a steeper rate than currently.

I don't agree that the Roush depreciates as a GT, it is still a Roush and demands those prices, not GT prices.

Either way, I think the GT500 is a cooler car personally... but just get what you like.

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
I think it's funny that you guys with gt500s have to defend and justify your purchases. Just like you guys would say an srt4 is just a Neon, a gt500 is just a mustang.

Not defending or justifying my purchase. I was making fun of your post for what it was.

"Any special or limited edition vehicle is just the base model with extra stuff dur hurr"

What do you drive?

nickf2005

Established Member
Any C7 or C6 z06 corvette stands out better than any gt500. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a gt500 and a regular 13-14.

I'd have to disagree with statement #1. Respectfully, of course.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Any C7 or C6 z06 corvette stands out better than any gt500. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a gt500 and a regular 13-14.

Perhaps Vettes draw your attention more, but I have to disagree your statement here. Speaking from experience owning both a modded 2010 GT500 and a stock 2013, both cars have drawn more attention at local car meets and Cars and Coffee than the average Vette. C6 zo6 body style is so saturated now with the many GS Vettes and base C7's are becoming way too common here. C7 zo6 is still a big draw since it's still new and looks different enough to be distinguished from the average C7.

Not everyone, but many non-car guys know both my cars weren't the average run of the mill mustang. But saying it looks no different than a 13-14 V6 sounds more like hating on your part than anything else.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I have always been pro Roush, but in this case, 13/14 GT500 based on looks alone.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

I see Vette's everywhere here, GT500's, not so much. The Vette's are all driven by q-tips too.

Twisted2v

Established Member
Perhaps Vettes draw your attention more, but I have to disagree your statement here. Speaking from experience owning both a modded 2010 GT500 and a stock 2013, both cars have drawn more attention at local car meets and Cars and Coffee than the average Vette. C6 zo6 body style is so saturated now with the many GS Vettes and base C7's are becoming way too common here. C7 zo6 is still a big draw since it's still new and looks different enough to be distinguished from the average C7.

Not everyone, but many non-car guys know both my cars weren't the average run of the mill mustang. But saying it looks no different than a 13-14 V6 sounds more like hating on your part than anything else.

I remember you (by your rides) from StangNet. I can still remember pics of the 02 GT and 03 cobra together.

I'm not hating at all. The GT500's would be special if Ford had not made the 13-14's look similar. Because cars are my interest, I know there's a difference, but the general population is clueless.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I don't agree that the Roush depreciates as a GT, it is still a Roush and demands those prices, not GT prices.

Yes, it's still a special car, but it absolutely depreciates as badly as a run of the mill GT. Run a VIN search on any Roush and all you're going to get back is "Mustang GT". Crash one and all you're going to get paid for is a Mustang GT, unless you added additional coverage. Buy one and it's almost mandatory to get gap insurance because, like I said, if you crash it straight off the showroom floor, all the insurance company is going to give you is money for a Mustang GT.

That said, are Roushes worth the asking price? Only for the Stage 3, IMO. And that's still way too high for the risk you're taking. However, if you're going to keep it for years to come, depreciation is a non-issue so long as you've enjoyed having the car. If you're not 100% positive you're going to keep it for the long haul, be prepared to drown in the deep end when you try to trade it in.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I'm not hating at all. The GT500's would be special if Ford had not made the 13-14's look similar. Because cars are my interest, I know there's a difference, but the general population is clueless.

What makes you think that same general population is going to be able to distinguish a base Corvette from a Z06? Heck, I'm a "car guy" and still have to make double- and triple-takes at C6 Corvettes to be able to tell whether or not it's a Z06 or base. C5s were easy to tell the difference, and C7s are easy to tell the difference. C6s all look the same to my eyes unless I'm on top of it.

MNCobra

Established Member
i went from the 13 GT500 to the 15 RS3 Roush...did at the right time and put the extra money i got for Shelby down on the Roush now i am well ahead of the depreciation game. i dont keep my cars long so by the time i sell the Roush i should be where i need to be in value...

Users who are viewing this thread