13/14 hood vents and water

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
I was concerned about this when I bought our new '13 last year. I went with a C&L CAI that was designed for the 13 & 14 models, it seals great. It is different from the 11 & 12 models.
Dan

sealing isnt the issue, unless you got a shield above the C&L water still drips onto your cone filter

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I used electrical tape to seal the first 3 vents on the driver side hood when I ran a JLT intake. It worked perfectly to not let rain through to the filter, however it did just sit inside the vent until you opened the hood and dumped it all out.

I now have the stock air box with the Airraid tube and don't have to worry about it anymore.

Airraid does make a rain shield you get get from them.

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
I used electrical tape to seal the first 3 vents on the driver side hood when I ran a JLT intake. It worked perfectly to not let rain through to the filter, however it did just sit inside the vent until you opened the hood and dumped it all out.

I now have the stock air box with the Airraid tube and don't have to worry about it anymore.

Airraid does make a rain shield you get get from them.

yea blocking off the vents only makes water sit there, and the JLT inserts do work however isnt a bulletproof system and only covers the cone filter area. the rest of the vents let water in.

makes you wonder why they didnt put vents on the 2015? perhaps ford realized the issue and rather than announce it, just switched back to a normal hood? idk or maybe it didnt look right on the 15.

robbyrobs

Established Member
I had the JLT foam insert and it was working good but I ran into the biggest problem when the car was sitting during rain and I'd go out there start it up and it would run like shit for 10 seconds, due to the filter being wet. I had to silicone the plug in place to completely keep the filter dry. Since then no problems at all.

Honest Mike

Established Member
I'm gonna do a drop in filter, most likely the AFE dry filter, and the Airaid tube only, and sound tube delete, and call it a day. I think that's the best solution. No water to worry about, or heat soak like with an exposed filter.

69camaro...

Established Member
Lol love his videos. But seriously guys, a little water in your engine bay wont hurt. There is moisture everywhere. Unless your driving through deep puddles or standing water, your intake will never suck water

robbyrobs

Established Member
Lol love his videos. But seriously guys, a little water in your engine bay wont hurt. There is moisture everywhere. Unless your driving through deep puddles or standing water, your intake will never suck water

personally i wasn't too worried about a little water, but with the JLT and the open air filter, water was draining right onto the filter, thus when I would start the car it would suck up a bunch of water and run really rough, make a popping noise for about 10 seconds. did this every time after it rained. but with the JLT foam plug siliconed in place, problem solved

Users who are viewing this thread