13/14 hood vents and water

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
so ive wondered this on my previous 13 gt and now more so on my 14' GT. i installed an airaid CAI but took it off today after i washed my car then popped the hood and found more water than im comfortable with over the filter, fuse box and battery. anyone have a permenant fix for the hood vents letting in water? i swapped back to the factory intake setup with the box to stop rain water from getting into the engine. i live in FL and it rains alot.

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
yea i just did some research and ordered those. also bought an outerwear cover for the filter stack too. double-wrapping it lol

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Bump, didn't want to post a new thread and get the "do a search" response. Any more feedback about these hood vents drippin onto CAI's? Looks like this might be the cheapest/best way to go.

jj6string

Established Member
I have an Airaid CAI. Got it with the JLT insert. It's been raining so hard here lately you'd swear we were getting hit by a hurricane. Even then I have not had a single issue regarding water getting into the engine.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
AirRaid makes a cover for the top of the CAI area. Call them, they ship you one no charge. Its stainless and not super pretty, but it keeps the water out for sure.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
There is a reason Ford put in the hood vents for cooling. I cut open the hood insulation around the vents (for more air flow out) to allow them to function properly. If you have open filter (and your worried) just buy a filter blanket to keep water out.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
The plug that JLT makes will only plug the portion around the heat shield for the intake, the other half of the vent is still open

Wither or not the JLT and airaid shields are the same dimensions may change wither or not the plug works correctly.

jj6string

Established Member
I am speaking from experience. I've run this combo for over a year now in some of the worst rain storms you can imagine.

You get -NO- water on an Airaid intake with the JLT insert.

sharptech

Established Member
I cut the inside of my hood shroud for better cooling, and all I did was put some electrical tape over the first two vents on the driver's side. Been holding great for a while now through many car washes. May also want to put some on the opening torwards the very very front of the vent. Unless you get right up on the vent you cannot even tell its tape. I do not get one drop of water on my filter .

Nuar

Established Member
you guys are looking into this too much.
Only reason why ford did the hood vents was because everyone always slammed them for having non functional hood scoops or vents, 11-12 gt's have the same motor and no vents... guess they will blow up the first time you beat on the car huh? :)

As far as the plug... I've been in near hurricane like down pours and the car made it just fine. The JLT plug works (I have a Steeda Cold Air Intake not a JLT by the way)

SD_Stang

Established Member
The Seal of the Intake mates to the on the Hood when it's closed and you really shouldn't need the JLT insert at least I haven't and I've been in some big rains. The Vents are rather small and as your moving air will force any water drops towards the rear not the front. You likely have more of a chance that water will come in the front cold air tube then the heat extractor. The JLT insert is for piece of mind IMO but shouldn't be needed unless your in someplace that see's a lot of rain.

stags

Established Member
I had a FRPP CAI and a Cervinis Type IV hood on my 09 V6. Despite driving through some heavy rain as well I never had an issue, and with the forward motion of the car those scoops would ensure that everything in the front of the engine was thoroughly wet. If the filter is oiled properly it should ingest no air. You'd have to nearly submerge the intake to have a problem. I can't recall ever hearing of someone having a problem with water ingestion. My bigger concern would be the ECU.

What irks me is the insulation blanket under the vents... I can just see the water building up with those JLT plugs and then hello mildew.

Remember boys and girls, this is all under the hood. An area where just driving through some heavy puddles can get water darn near everywhere. The good folks at Ford accounted for this ;)

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
all these people saying they drive through heavy rain all the time and dont suck up water........think about that statement. are you in the engine bay as you drive and watching to see if rain gets in? no, and after you park your car you dont pop your hood to check, you run inside to avoid the rain. and while the forward motion and design of the vents during forward motion may deflect most water away, it does nothing to help you when your sitting at idle at a stoplight and water is pouring into those vents, and then on your CAI filter. if your not sure, go outside, spray your hood with a hose for 2 min ( and im not saying spray directly down the dam vents, when i did it i was facing the grill and used the sprinkle setting on the hose to simulate rain best i could, and just swept back and forth over the hood.) then pop your hood. my results sizeable water droplets on the cone filter, a large amount of water underneath the cone filter collecting in a pool in the CAI box, and water all over the battery box and battery, as well as fuse box, two friends in the area did the same and had exact same results. now i understand while driving this water largely wont go in but im sure some of you leave your cars parked outside, and do you clean the water out before starting it after a rainstorm? no. and everyone here with a 13-14 has driven in the rain and had to stop at idle or park in the rain.

if you choose to go another way, hey thats your choice, its your car. just trying to help others out. personally my 2 cents an upgraded CAI is worthless for these cars. the factory airbox draws in cold air from an outside source rather than the hot engine bay, never saw a drop in intake temps on my CAI. and dynos of CAI's are all false because the tuner pops the hood and puts a giant fan right next to the CAI. who here drives with the hood popped? now the upgraded intake tube of CAI's, that i do believe can provide a gain. which is also why airaid recently started selling just the tube, and i currently now run it. to each his own.

intake.jpg

TrackpackGT

Established Member
^ That is something I was looking at last night and wondering how these CAI's really and truly are better than the factory set up drawing cooler air from the front bumper. That tube section and just a drop in filter looks like a great way to go. I haven't seen actual before and after dyno numbers of an untuned stock car versus an untuned CAI car. Even better, a tuned stock car versus a tuned CAI car. I'm sure it's been done, I'm new here and haven't non-stop searched to see.

bullet3z

Established Member
All that from someone who still runs the factory sound tube. :-D

Sorry, could not resist. Oh and I have the Airaid intake tube too. But I deleted the sound tube with the supplied parts.

IGO 202

Established Member
I was concerned about this when I bought our new '13 last year. I went with a C&L CAI that was designed for the 13 & 14 models, it seals great. It is different from the 11 & 12 models.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread