13/14 GT500 comparison with new GT350/R

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
It's not all about max horsepower for everyone

Your right, its who has the newest conversation piece at the local car meet.

How often are you gonna be on a road course? 99.5 % of drivin is done on the street in a strait line when GT350 and the gt500 meet up and the GT500 will just embaress the GT350 on the hwy or stop light to stop light. Nobodies racin on the twistes lets get real. A closed course is no comparison on the street GT500 takes the GT350 everytime!! Just my 2cents.

Exactly, Its just like majority of any car. People get all hyped up over the flavor of the week and every review they read in the magazines. Realistically almost all of the owners are just going to park them in the garage and take them to the local car meet,never optimizing full potential of the vehicle. It will be the same cycle once the S550 500 comes out. Its actually a pretty funny cycle. Makes you wonder how many people would hang on and enjoy their vehicles if they actually used them for what they were built for here and there. And not just traded them in for the next flavor of the week. Both great cars but to compare the 2 are apples to oranges. A contender for this car would be the s197 boss 302/laguna.

Last edited:

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
How often do you take your Shelby to the strip and how often do you use all that horsepower on the street?

Being that my state has no drag-strip not as much as i would like. As for the Horsepower,when i need to beat my buddys GT350 to a parkway exit ramp :)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Being that my state has no drag-strip not as much as i would like. As for the Horsepower,when i need to beat my buddys GT350 to a parkway exit ramp :)

Having enough power to spin your wheels to smoke in a straight line over pulling 1.2+ lateral g on the back roads that make six flags look like candyland?
I'd choose the latter.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Lowly guys like me don't buy flavors of the week, we just build stuff that walks out hard on trinity cars, and handle surprisingly well on a canyon or twisty bit.

But what do guys like me know, we should obviously buy new stuff and argue what's faster bone stock since that seems to matter most to so many people.

I just like going fast. Straight, twisty, whatever.

Both the 350 and 500 are great, but people need to get a grip, the 350 is obviously a boss successor and it rightly ups the ante.

Wait a year for a 500 successor and you'll all be saying trinity's are outpaced.

And the cycle will happen all over again with the s550 successor, and then its successor, and then it'll be 2030, and guys will still be fighting over opinions and disagreeing on this, that, the other.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Your right, its who has the newest conversation piece at the local car meet.

Exactly, Its just like majority of any car. People get all hyped up over the flavor of the week and every review they read in the magazines. Realistically almost all of the owners are just going to park them in the garage and take them to the local car meet,never optimizing full potential of the vehicle. It will be the same cycle once the S550 500 comes out. Its actually a pretty funny cycle. Makes you wonder how many people would hang on and enjoy their vehicles if they actually used them for what they were built for here and there. And not just traded them in for the next flavor of the week. Both great cars but to compare the 2 are apples to oranges. A contender for this car would be the s197 boss 302/laguna.

As someone who has owned 4 GT500s, 2 of which were 13s. Spending some time in a GT350 sold me. The car is just much more enjoyable to drive.

I actually drive my cars, a lot. So it matters.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking forward to driving a GT350 soon, but I like torque, in mass quantities that I use it regularly.
If the S550 GT500 can give be a blown 5.2 (even standard crank--see new 5.2 FRPP crate motor) inside the Gt350 package (suspension, brakes, etc) I'll have one in the stable. Hell, I still want a 350R either way, but waiting to hear if boosted GT500 is coming.
-J

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
The arguments made here in support of the GT350 are the same ones I made in support of my purchasing the Boss over the GT500. The Boss is a more fun car to drive. I have not been to the road coarse once, but I do get a big smile every time I drive it. I have a GT350 on order, but some how I am just not excited about it! I can't tell you why other than the instrumented test numbers look very similar to a Boss 302 numbers (other than lap times) and I still am not a huge fan of the S550 styling. The reality is I may find myself back in a Corvette.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
The arguments made here in support of the GT350 are the same ones I made in support of my purchasing the Boss over the GT500. The Boss is a more fun car to drive. I have not been to the road coarse once, but I do get a big smile every time I drive it. I have a GT350 on order, but some how I am just not excited about it! I can't tell you why other than the instrumented test numbers look very similar to a Boss 302 numbers (other than lap times) and I still am not a huge fan of the S550 styling. The reality is I may find myself back in a Corvette.

I'm not surprised you haven't been to a road course because you can't even spell it right.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Since this thread has gone off on a tangent, I am going to ask this.

Is a 500 RWHP coyote comparable to the gt350 in any way?

A bit faster in a straight line. 11-14, you'll get beat up pretty hard in twisties.

15+, I mean you won't be as far behind but you'll still be getting your ass kicked in the twisties. Straight line, you'll be a good bit quicker in a drag race vs a stock gt350.

The gt350 has a very capable chassis, shocks, engine character, etc.

It's the classic question, is my modded car better than the new kid on the block.

The honest answer is usually no, not as an entire package. Yes, in one way or another.

A 500whp road runner with full suspension? That might actually hand the stock gt350 it's ass. Matt Farrah recently did a drive of a built up boss on his YouTube channel, the smoking tire, and he said that built boss was faster than a gt350.

Last edited:

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Red Eleanor v. Little Voo-Doo

Got into my GT500 yesterday after about 2 weeks of driving to Ohio and transporting back the GT350 and focusing on that. It was a world of difference. First thing I noticed was pushing the clutch in; thought my leg was going to break; it freaked me out.

The GT500 is putting out 767 at the flywheel and 680 RWHP, so it scoots. GT350 still completely stock, while I'm trying to smog it here as I brought it into CA from Ohio.

I agree with those that they are two different purpose cars. No doubt GT500 will leave little Voo-doo in the dust in a straight line; however, voo-doo has it over GT500 in handling, even though we've Eibach'ed and Hotchkissed the crap out of it, front to back, to get better handling and handle the upgrades.

I actually compared it more to my 2013 ZL1 in handling. It used to be the best handling of my current vehicles, the GT350, however, is better. My son says far better, I say a tad better, but better.

They are all 3 just super fun cars and that's why I have them. Forget my super-charged land yacht fat - pig 2013 Challenger - it has it's own pros, mainly comfort and roominess and visibility; if I'm going out for a couple hours or more to do something and will be in the car a while.

All I know is that they both feel completely different and it took me a few minutes to re-adjust to the GT500 brute power and get back in the groove of it. I'm sure once Voo-Doo is fixed (see Tranny Clutch thread) it will take me a few minutes to readjust again.

Current sleds
2016 GT350 Comp Orange, Tech Pack, etc...
2013 GT500
2013 ZL1
2013 Challenger R/T w/ SC installed
1973 Dodge Dart - Hot Rod magazine build
2015 Ford Explorer 4x4 (the usual commuter)

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Bigmfcpa, what was your gas mileage like driving it back? Is it actually as they claim? Just seems odd it is only rated at like 21hw iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread