12lbs on stock 98 cobra? Who's runnin it?

187import

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone out there is or has run 12lbs of boost on stock 98 cobra shortblock? I've been thinking about uping the boost and go back for a retune. I don't race the car hardly ever and it only leaves the garage about twice a month. It might hold up, but it would be on borrowed time more than likely...

What do you guys think?

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone out there is or has run 12lbs of boost on stock 98 cobra shortblock? I've been thinking about uping the boost and go back for a retune. I don't race the car hardly ever and it only leaves the garage about twice a month. It might hold up, but it would be on borrowed time more than likely...

What do you guys think?

I would say don't do it, but maybe it would hold for a while since you don't drive it much. It would be close, but probably too much for the stock shortblock with more driving on it.

Look at it like this, if you have the money for a rebuild, or to fix it if it breaks, go for it, but otherwise just be safe rather than sorry and not push it.

EDIT: Just saw your current HP numbers for 9+ lbs... yeahhhh don't do it. 440 ish is what is "reasonable" for the stock bottom ends, and you are already making more.

Last edited:

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
are you after/intercooled? If so then you should be able to get away with it. Just be ready for a rebuild soon then later. I see 14psi with my set up on my stock block and race tune #'s in sig. And i only drive it once or twice a month. But i got an aftercooler and supporting mods with plenty of fuel. I see 516rwhp on my street tune. so you can do it but for how long thats the guess. But if you dont have an after/intercooler the i wouldn't.:beer:

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
socom688 how do you like the 10.3 to 1 comp with the centri? When i rebuild i want to say stock or better with comp.:beer:

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Did the car make 452 on a dynojet or mustang dyno?

They say the limit for these cars with stock internals is around 450

Last edited:

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
I made 12psi ,470hp andlived for a while no prob...THEN my fuel pump crappedoutand ruined my day. Fuel and Tune is what keeps these motors alive above 450. Do it right and you'll be fine. Just make sure you dont skimp on your fuel system!!!

187import

Established Member
Yeah, my 452rwhp is on a dynojet at Haywood Custom speed. I've always been told that around 450 was all the stock piston and rods could hold. You guys are right, FUEL is a must and i have two brand new pumps and 42lb injectors. So i think that's good to about 500rwhp. I want to get around 500rwhp on stock block. I don't plan on beating the shit out of the car, just want the numbers;p Plus i was planning on running race gas mix with the 12lb pulley. But its a GAMBLE, and you gotta pay to play:)

And Scotty98, how in the HE double hockey sticks does your stock short block support 580rwhp!!?? Race gas or not, can't believe it holds together...?

187import

Established Member
Yeah, my 452rwhp is on a dynojet at Haywood Custom speed. I've always been told that around 450 was all the stock piston and rods could hold. You guys are right, FUEL is a must and i have two brand new pumps and 42lb injectors. So i think that's good to about 500rwhp. I want to get around 500rwhp on stock block. I don't plan on beating the shit out of the car, just want the numbers;p Plus i was planning on running race gas mix with the 12lb pulley. But its a GAMBLE, and you gotta pay to play:)

And Scotty98, how in the HE double hockey sticks does your stock short block support 580rwhp!!?? Race gas or not, can't believe it holds together...?

But yes, i have a procharger P-1sc with 3Core intercooler...

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
I would say don't do it. I had a Procharger D1SC with the upgraded intercooler and ran that on my stock 98 cobra motor. Blew the first motor pretty bad. Dropped a second motor and went with slightly upgraded pistons and blew the number 7 piston apart and had head damage. The 3rd motor I went all out on...$10k motor.

Now that I have a 96 cobra, I'm going to upgrade the motor first then slap a turbo on. I'd highly suggest beefing up the motor before you put it out of commission.

edit - fyi, your going to run out of fuel too unless you upgrade that as well.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I made 484rwhp on a MD and it lasted for about 14k mi before I destroyed the piston. This was with my T-trim and aftercooler. Probably around 500rwhp on Dynojet. It's not worth it unless you have the money to replace the engine imo.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^ Dam dude did you ever get into boost with it, that seems like a long time with stock internals

Yup got into boost at least once a day. I didn't beat on it though, it was a DD for me for a while. It still got 22mpg mixed. I can't wait for it to be done with the new motor. Oh and the reason why it broke I'm assuming is because I did a pull in cold ass weather on the coast. Really really dense air that day. My wife said she saw 14psi on my boost guage and when I shifted into 4th it stopped pulling and my oil psi dropped to nothing..

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
i made 487rwhp on a dyno jet with 12+lbs of boost on my stock 98 cobra block. I drove it daily but rarely saw more than 5-6lbs of boost on the street. No engine problems yet, my blower was purchased used and it's making some weird noise now so it's being sent to vortech for a rebuild. the motor seems fine though. make sure you get a good safe tune. boost doesn't kill, detonation does.

Users who are viewing this thread