'12 mustang v6 vs. '11 L99 Camaro

Funny5.0

Established Member
The thread was about a bolt-on 3.7 running against a stock L99. I'm sorry you are tired of the info on the L99's. It has been my personal experience at the track and on the street (I previously had an '11 M6 5.0 GT) that they don't perform that well in stock form. When modded they do perform much better!

As far as the last line in your reply you said you would like to run my son's 3.7, I was saying if you were closer either one of us would be glad to take you up on that.

Go ahead and and put full bolt-ons and slicks or your L99. I have a '93 GT that will 'out class' that setup very badly! :thumbsup:

My son should be getting a Bama tune from his girl for Christmas.
We'll do some runs if he does. I'll post a video if this happens:)
BTW I also have a built blown 94' Cobra for your 93'GT :-D

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
What do you consider not perform that well?

From my experience the stock L99 consistently runs low 13's @106-107
Foot on the brake rev to 1000 and ease on to the throttle. Low 13's all day (at sea level). Much more consistent than a stock LS3.
Like I said from a roll on the street the stock auto 5.0 would put a couple cars on the L99 from a 20 roll to 100.
Much more uncommon, there have been some that have broken into the high 12's stock down to the tire @ 108-109.

I have seen 3 or 4 stock (as far as I know) run at tracks in my area in good air (close to or below sea level) and they all ran in the 13.3-13.5 range at 105-107 MPH.

When I had my '11 5.0 I ran one that had midpipe, mufflers, CAI and tune and it ran a 13.08 @109+ MPH.

On the street my son ran the one mentioned and I ran one in my old '04 Cobra vert (460 RWHP at the time) that had at least exhaust work and from a 40 roll I put bus lengths on him. We caught a stoplight and I asked if he wanted to try a dig or a slower roll and he said no thank you.

I'm sure just like all cars, some run better than others but around here the L99's we have come across haven't been that impressive.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
My son should be getting a Bama tune from his girl for Christmas.
We'll do some runs if he does. I'll post a video if this happens:)
BTW I also have a built blown 94' Cobra for your 93'GT :-D

The tune will help his car, an O/R midpipe and lower gears are the best mods for 'waking up' the 3.7's.

For reference here is a little walkaround video of my '93 GT. I got one 'shakedown' pass on the Centerforce clutch before it destroyed it and ran a 7.08 @ 102.3 MPH in the 1/8 mile with a soft 1.69 60' and granny shifting. It mad e 529 RWHP and 470 RWHP when it was shut down on the dyno due to a maxxed out fuel system. An upgraded clutch and fuel system are my winter mods and with the smaller pulley that I have I'm shooting for 700 RWHP at 7K RPM's.

93 GT 347 paxton novi2000 idle/walk around - YouTube

Funny5.0

Established Member
I have seen 3 or 4 stock (as far as I know) run at tracks in my area in good air (close to or below sea level) and they all ran in the 13.3-13.5 range at 105-107 MPH.

When I had my '11 5.0 I ran one that had midpipe, mufflers, CAI and tune and it ran a 13.08 @109+ MPH.

On the street my son ran the one mentioned and I ran one in my old '04 Cobra vert (460 RWHP at the time) that had at least exhaust work and from a 40 roll I put bus lengths on him. We caught a stoplight and I asked if he wanted to try a dig or a slower roll and he said no thank you.

I'm sure just like all cars, some run better than others but around here the L99's we have come across haven't been that impressive.

Okay it's all relative. You're comparing a stock L99 to a modded cobra...
Anyway like I said, driven properly they can easily run a 13.2 @ 106-107, and it actually feels much quicker. The L99 torque band is nice and feels a lot stronger than my 5.0 did stock (sotp) but it's actually a few ticks slower.
People make the L99 out to be like it runs 14's. It's quicker than most stuff on the road but compared to real fast stuff it isn't that impressive to me either.

I'll have to get my Busa out to run with your 700 horse stang lol.

My 94 cobra isn't quite like yours:
331 stroker
edlebrock heads
forged internal, roller cam, LT headers etc
14 lbs paxton
Runs strong and sounds awesome.

I'm currently building a big turbo Grand National but that's nowhere near finished.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Okay it's all relative. You're comparing a stock L99 to a modded cobra...
Anyway like I said, driven properly they can easily run a 13.2 @ 106-107, and it actually feels much quicker. The L99 torque band is nice and feels a lot stronger than my 5.0 did stock (sotp) but it's actually a few ticks slower.
People make the L99 out to be like it runs 14's. It's quicker than most stuff on the road but compared to real fast stuff it isn't that impressive to me either.

I'll have to get my Busa out to run with your 700 horse stang lol.

My 94 cobra isn't quite like yours:
331 stroker
edlebrock heads
forged internal, roller cam, LT headers etc
14 lbs paxton
Runs strong and sounds awesome.

I'm currently building a big turbo Grand National but that's nowhere near finished.

:beer:

You sound like you have quite the collection of vehicles!

Your Cobra sounds like a cool car! :thumbsup:

Fooln Ya

Established Member
Yes looks like you guys have a nice strong running 6's. I would hope so after full bolt-ons ,slicks...
Not your typical V6 mustangs.
Anyway I'm aware of how old the thread is. Just tired of all the miss info about the L99 when in reality they run quite strong even stock.
This thread is titled '12 mustang v6 vs. '11 L99 Camaro making it sound like a stock V6 stang took out a stock L99 SS.

If I ran my L99 with full bolt-ons and slicks you'd simply be out classed...

I see you and dad have made friends, but I wanted to come back to this post. You def seem like you're a car guy.... and I understand you probably dont know much at all about the v6 mustangs, new or old. But, in any make/model vehicle, when did FOUR mods become "full bolton"?

Cold air intake, gears, tune, and midpipe. Thats it. Even though theres more mods out there, theres a lot to be desired mod-wise for our cars. Oh, and by the way, I was on street tires for the camaro run.... :coolman:

Also, I outran a m6 SS at the 8th mile track. Granted, I was on a slick, but I did miss 2nd gear that pass too. :shrug:

My little rant here doesn't really have a purpose. I saw the thread was dug up when I was at work, but didnt get back to it till now. I just thought it was interesting and had to respond to the fact that my car was getting referred to as a "full bolton with slicks v6" when thats not quite the case.

From car guy to car guy, if you take a vacay to the East Coast, HMU, Im always down for a friendly run (win or lose) and car talk with other fellas! :beer:

Funny5.0

Established Member
You def seem like you're a car guy.... and I understand you probably dont know much at all about the v6 mustangs, new or old. But, in any make/model vehicle, when did FOUR mods become "full bolton"?
I actually have a pretty good idea about the V6. My son has a stock 13' auto V6 stang with performance package and is no match for my L99 from any speed. With your mods I'm sure a stock V6 stang is no match for yours either.
When I was referring to slicks and full bolt on I was referring more so to your pops V6 from the video. Sorry for not wording it right. I figured your runs on the street were on street tires.
You both have nice strong running V6's though :rockon:

Camaros have a tough time getting out of the hole at the track(more so the manuals) If a 1.9-2.0 60ft is achieved were talking 12.9-13.1 stock L99 or LS3. It's challenging but doable.

Can be seen here from Camaro 5 the L99 SS is no slouch:
Look under( Camaro SS, Stock L99 A6, Fast List )
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

From car guy to car guy, if you take a vacay to the East Coast, HMU, Im always down for a friendly run (win or lose) and car talk with other fellas! :beer:

Absolutely! :beer:

Last edited:

Funny5.0

Established Member
Good kill! those L99s are dogs. Just imagine if you had a V8.

Gotta love the L99 ignorance.:bored:
Your autotragic 5.0 feels like a dog without a tune which to me takes the fun out of it. In reality a stock auto 5.0 vs an L99 is actually a drivers race with a slight advantage to the 5.0, been there done that many times. The L99 actually feels like it has 100 more torque than the 5.0 go drive one. If it doesn't it needs a fuse pull.
I have many vehicles from as slow as a stock miata to an 8 sec Busa. Believe me the L99 is no dog. The L99 is one of my favorites to drive daily.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Gotta love the L99 ignorance.:bored:
Your autotragic 5.0 feels like a dog without a tune which to me takes the fun out of it. In reality a stock auto 5.0 vs an L99 is actually a drivers race with a slight advantage to the 5.0, been there done that many times. The L99 actually feels like it has 100 more torque than the 5.0 go drive one. If it doesn't it needs a fuse pull.
I have many vehicles from as slow as a stock miata to an 8 sec Busa. Believe me the L99 is no dog. The L99 is one of my favorites to drive daily.

I got to ask,
Ben or Karen?

Fooln Ya

Established Member
Nice runs OP, I wonder how a 4.6L S197 with bolt ons would compare to a bolt on 3.7 L :)

Equally bolted, the peformance is pretty close. Ive run into this one guy at the local 8th mile track a couple times. The first time I had my same mods, and he just had cai/tune/axleback. I outrun him that pass, but never got to talk to him.

Next time I saw him he had 3.73s and dr's. We ran twice, switching lanes. I was on street tires, and still out 60'd him. :shrug: Heres a video of one of those passes. PLEASE excuse the cellphone quality, and my mother n law yapping in the background! Shes a trip, and loves the dragstrip, as you can tell.
:dancenana:
2012 3.7l v6 m6 Mustang vs. 3v s197 m5 Mustang - YouTube
I think its pretty close, def tq advantage to the 3v, but we make up for that a little with our better gearing. Basically a drivers race imo...

01SSNBM

Established Member
Its amazing what these 3.7's do from the factory. I witnessed one of my buddies pulling on an ole LT4 vette on the highway one day and about shit my pants!

Users who are viewing this thread