'12 mustang v6 vs. '11 L99 Camaro

Fooln Ya

Established Member
So me and the wifey are cruising around saturday evening, and a black Camaro SS eases up beside me. He paces me for a second, then eases forward a little. I gear down and give'm a flyby to see if he's game.

He holds up 3 fingers, I gear down to 1st (20ish mph), give 3 honks and hit it. He jumps out immediately about 1/2 car, I get outta shape a little banging 2nd, pull even, bang 3rd, pull out 1/2 car or more most-way through 3rd, then shut it down cause we were running in a real bad spot, lol.

we Bust a uie, and go again, from the same roll, with the same outcome. We go to park and talk, and, out jumps Justin Bieber's celebrity lookalike!! Lol! Cool kid though, said he didn't like mustangs at all, but my car gained all of his respect when I told'em it was a 6er.

Turned out to be a bone-stock auto L99 car. He said he was using the paddle-shifter, fwiw. Not a real long run, which leaves me curious as to how it woulda looked in the triple digits. Im thinking I woulda pulled another car or so through 4th, but who knows.

Thanks for looking!

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Good kill!!

BTW, I talked to PJ and that is the guy that ordered a bunch of exhaust parts and is going to get those put on and get the car tuned at PJ's shop.

Fooln Ya

Established Member
Lol, these v6's dont do too bad. I wouldnt own a v6 if it didn't run a little ;) Bone stock with 2.73's it went 13.78... My dad (z28th1s) has gone 13.03 in his, trapping 106 twice that day... with basically the same mods as me, plus the d/s.

The day those new times were made we were fighting 15-25mph headwinds, fwiw. Probably lost a mph or 2, and a couple tenths. Itching to get back and see what it can do on the street tire setup, thinking if I can keep those 1.9's consistant, 13.1-.13.2s should be doable.

My dad already made a thread a while back with these vids, but Im new, so I'll whore myself out a little :D Heres my best street tire pass

2012 Mustang 3.7l v6 m6-13.45 @ 103 1/4mile - YouTube

Heres the 3 passes I made on the m/t's...

2012 Mustang 3.7l v6 1/4mile runs- 13.30@102 - YouTube

Funny5.0

Established Member
Sweet kill. The auto SS is a dog from a roll but with those times you might get him from a dig too.

OP,
The guy you raced probably needed a fuse pull and that against a tuned V6 with gears, I could imagine that outcome.
http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/veh...-by-pulling-the-fuses-in-a-late-model-camaro/
About the top end pull? The L99 moves pretty good up top too.

Dog from a roll?! Have you even driven one?
Anyway,
I have repeatedly walked my son's stock 13' auto V6 with 3.31s from a dig, roll, whatever by many car lengths. Same outcome when we switch drivers.
My son's old 11' auto 5.0 with FRPP tune would take my L99 SS by a couple cars to 100 from a roll or dig consistently.

My L99 is stock. On paper the L99 doesn't sound that impressive but it reality the auto has an awesome torque curve and gearing to make up for its disparity.

A lot of ignorant info about the L99's out there but in reality they hang with or beat LS3 manuals (stock vs stock) all day at the track...
I'd love to take the OP on from a dig or 40 roll whatever in S mode (The paddles are not optimal for dig or roll racing btw)
The L99 with a tune, intake and LT header is quite nasty. Throw in a cam and it's a force to be reckonded with.

Also I enjoy driving the L99 every bit as much as my brembo 5.0 and actually feels and seems quicker (put you in the seat feeling) unless you're going balls to the wall in the 5.0...
The L99, even though a little slower actually feels stronger at any speed and handles better than the stock base auto 5.0. More fun to drive imo.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
A lot of ignorant info about the L99's out there but in reality they hang with or beat LS3 manuals (stock vs stock) all day at the track...
Thats what I thought too! I remember reading that they were both a drivers race regardless of the lower power on the L99 and lower cut off fuel. It was also more efficient just a bit trickier to mod. They were both trapping close to 110.

Good kill O.P! And good looking traps for a V6! I would've thought the Camaro would taken you out since they trap higher than you but anything can happen in the street :beer:

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Way to man! I've had a few races against my friend's L99 auto as well but I haven't fared quite as well. Then again I have 2.73s and was bone stock at the time. Can't wait till I swap to 3.55s and get tuned.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
OP,
The guy you raced probably needed a fuse pull and that against a tuned V6 with gears, I could imagine that outcome.
theHorsepowerJunkies » Gaining Horsepower By Pulling the Fuses In A Late Model Camaro
About the top end pull? The L99 moves pretty good up top too.

Dog from a roll?! Have you even driven one?
Anyway,
I have repeatedly walked my son's stock 13' auto V6 with 3.31s from a dig, roll, whatever by many car lengths. Same outcome when we switch drivers.
My son's old 11' auto 5.0 with FRPP tune would take my L99 SS by a couple cars to 100 from a roll or dig consistently.

My L99 is stock. On paper the L99 doesn't sound that impressive but it reality the auto has an awesome torque curve and gearing to make up for its disparity.

I'd love to take the OP on from a dig or 40 roll whatever in S mode (The paddles are not optimal for dig or roll racing btw)
The L99 with a tune, intake and LT header is quite nasty. Throw in a cam and it's a force to be reckonded with.

Also I enjoy driving the L99 every bit as much as my brembo 5.0 and actually feels and seems quicker (put you in the seat feeling) unless you're going balls to the wall in the 5.0...
The L99, even though a little slower actually feels stronger at any speed and handles better than the stock base auto 5.0. More fun to drive imo.

Too bad you are all the way across the country. I'm the OP's dad and I'd be glad to run your stock L99 Camaro in my '11 3.7 V6.

This thread is about 9 months old. My son is also hoping to get a few more mods for his car for Christmas. Here is a video of a couple of friendly runs we had a week or so ago. His car runs really well from a roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMNRwpxM4zM

Last edited:

Funny5.0

Established Member
Too bad you are all the way across the country. I'm the OP's dad and I'd be glad to run your stock L99 Camaro in my '11 3.7 V6.

This thread is about 9 months old. My son is also hoping to get a few more mods for his car for Christmas. Here is a video of a couple of friendly runs we had a week or so ago. His car runs really well from a roll.

2011 3.7L V6 vs 2012 3.7L V6 - YouTube

Yes looks like you guys have a nice strong running 6's. I would hope so after full bolt-ons ,slicks...
Not your typical V6 mustangs.
Anyway I'm aware of how old the thread is. Just tired of all the miss info about the L99 when in reality they run quite strong even stock.
This thread is titled '12 mustang v6 vs. '11 L99 Camaro making it sound like a stock V6 stang took out a stock L99 SS.

If I ran my L99 with full bolt-ons and slicks you'd simply be out classed...

Last edited:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMNRwpxM4zM

I would love to reply in my sons thread one day about his mustang beating a Camaro. That'll make my day. Good kill OP and nice trap times for a 6'er.

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Yes looks like you have strong running 6. I would hope so after full bolt-ons ,slicks...

I'm aware of how old the thread is. Just tired of all the miss info about the L99.
In reality they run quite strong.
If I ran the L99 with full bolt-ons and slicks you'd simply be out classed...

The thread was about a bolt-on 3.7 running against a stock L99. I'm sorry you are tired of the info on the L99's. It has been my personal experience at the track and on the street (I previously had an '11 M6 5.0 GT) that they don't perform that well in stock form. When modded they do perform much better!

As far as the last line in your reply you said you would like to run my son's 3.7, I was saying if you were closer either one of us would be glad to take you up on that.

Go ahead and and put full bolt-ons and slicks or your L99. I have a '93 GT that will 'out class' that setup very badly! :thumbsup:

Funny5.0

Established Member
It has been my personal experience at the track and on the street (I previously had an '11 M6 5.0 GT) that they don't perform that well in stock form.

What do you consider not perform that well?

From my experience the stock L99 consistently runs low 13's @106-107
Foot on the brake rev to 1000 and ease on to the throttle. Low 13's all day (at sea level). Much more consistent than a stock LS3.
Like I said from a roll on the street the stock auto 5.0 would put a couple cars on the L99 from a 20 roll to 100.
Much more uncommon, there have been some that have broken into the high 12's stock down to the tire @ 108-109.

Users who are viewing this thread