'12 GT500s $4200 off

SVTinMO

Established Member
Private party sales you are 100% correct. Taxes are based on where you are registering a vehicle correct.

Non-private party it is tricky and depends on the state you are purchasing from. IL has arrangments with about half the states to collect taxes on behalf.

So majority of the time I would collect taxes for an out of state purchase, and the amount would be based on that persons county.

This is incorrect. I just bought a 2011 Harley Ultra Limited in IL 2 months ago. I paid ZERO IL tax. I paid tax on $23,700 in MO 30 days later. It would work the same way for a car sale in IL from a MO resident.

jcobra

Established Member
You have the option to have the Illinois dealer collect the tax for MO so you don't have to do it yourself. If the dealer in IL doesn't collect it you will have to deal with it yourself I'm MO. Either way you'll pay so why not have the dealer just do it and get it over with. That's how I understand it.

WillyB93

Established Member
If the dealer collect's it, they normally mix it in with the financing of the car also. If you covered it yourself you would have to pay it out of pocket! GLWS

ChrisMustang

Established Member
This is incorrect. I just bought a 2011 Harley Ultra Limited in IL 2 months ago. I paid ZERO IL tax. I paid tax on $23,700 in MO 30 days later. It would work the same way for a car sale in IL from a MO resident.

Then we must not collect for MO. I never said we did. Just saying in some cases we have to and some we don't.

Users who are viewing this thread