12' GT winter mods going in now. cj intake, tb, drew cai, burns stainless...

twistedneck

Established Member
What are your thoughts on these winter upgrades for my 2012 Brembo GT? car is a M6 and has boss heads / cj cams. boss intake already. runs on e85 for piston melt protection and reduced exhaust stink.already has lethal 2.75" over axle w off road x, kooks 1-3/4" headers and x pipe with stock gt mufflers to keep things quiet.

1. SCJ Throttle Body
cjtb.jpg

2. Drew custom 4.5" CAI
drew.jpg

3. CJ Intake
cjintake.jpg

4. Burns stainless resonators - only 3lbs .
burns.jpg

this is not needed, at 300 each I could get the weld in Borla's for half that. but burns are f1 / lemans tech and the look bad ass. i'm going slip over so its easy to replace the matting.
5. ford racing mufflers M-5230-MGTCA 50 state legal drive by for noise formerly known as the Borla touring muffler.. the other ford racing 49 state sport muffler flows the same but is much louder according to the Borla engineer I spoke to.
borla.jpg

6. BMR lower control arm relo brackets.
7. 55 gal. drum of e85.

my car made 440whp on the mustang dyno last year, it went 12.0 at 120 in horrible 3500' air with a slug like tire melting 2 second 60' letting off the gas near the end as it was at 7400rpm, Since then I upgraded to e85 and it made 440whp again this year as a baseline before the mods, how un thrilling that was considering Shaun from AED tuned it and added 2 degrees of timing on e85. car is a joy to drive and the big issue is I have no local maxima peak on the dyno curve, I.e. The peak hp is at the very end of the run and I cap at 7500rpm max due to stock rods.

Vector Motorsports out of Clinton township MI is doing the work again.

think i'll make more power? I know for a fact the exhaust is backing up because people say it hisses when i'm under full throttle or they accuse me of having a a turbo after I slay them on the streets of Canada. I saw one guy with a gt turbo free up 80hp just by going to a better muffler, wont be anything like that in NA but I am hoping.

dyno2.jpg

did you guys here if the jlt carbon cai's do indeed neck down internally to 72mm like I've read here on a different thread? if so this should really help.

feedback appreciated, what else should I do to go fast?

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
Welcome to the fraternity!! It sounds like you have ALL of the supporting mods (except rods and oil pump gears), so I would think you should see some nice gains. 10.9's @ 123mph maybe? My final remaining piece shipped Friday (Revolution Auto 5" CAI) so I am hoping to the do the CJ intake after my next 12 hour rotation?!?!

KalEl370

Established Member
I'm hoping to go with the CJ set up very soon as well. I'm gonna go with the Rev Auto CAI and SCJ mono as well. Keep us posted.

twistedneck

Established Member
Welcome to the fraternity!! It sounds like you have ALL of the supporting mods (except rods and oil pump gears), so I would think you should see some nice gains. 10.9's @ 123mph maybe? My final remaining piece shipped Friday (Revolution Auto 5" CAI) so I am hoping to the do the CJ intake after my next 12 hour rotation?!?!

goat-ee I like your car and turbo makes it even better.
when I put the heads on we pulled the motor and swapped oil pump gears with MMR billet. still, my rods are on borrowed time since I've hit 8000 by accented on more than one occasion.

I'm hoping to go with the CJ set up very soon as well. I'm gonna go with the Rev Auto CAI and SCJ mono as well. Keep us posted.

KalEl370, do you know the diameter of the cai? FYI drew is now doing 5" cj cai also. I will keep you guys posted with nice overlay of before and after.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
goat-ee I like your car and turbo makes it even better.
when I put the heads on we pulled the motor and swapped oil pump gears with MMR billet. still, my rods are on borrowed time since I've hit 8000 by accented on more than one occasion.

KalEl370, do you know the diameter of the cai? FYI drew is now doing 5" cj cai also. I will keep you guys posted with nice overlay of before and after.

I'm far from an expert, but i'm pretty sure N/A that the limiting factor is the oil pump gears?!?! So if you've done that, can't you run pretty close to the 8k your looking for?

Last edited:

KalEl370

Established Member
Rev auto's CAI is 5". I have a built motor with oil pump gears and upgraded valvesprings .

twistedneck

Established Member
Rev auto's CAI is 5". I have a built motor with oil pump gears and upgraded valvesprings .

so then.. can I take this beast to 7800 without worry? not saying i'd road race it at that rpm but here and there it might be cool.

for road race i'll shift at 6800, no need for more power or to overheat the engine although with e85 that's not an issue.

Kalel370, what springs did you go with? I'm running boss springs now.

Last edited:

KalEl370

Established Member
so then.. can I take this beast to 7800 without worry? not saying i'd road race it at that rpm but here and there it might be cool.

for road race i'll shift at 6800, no need for more power or to overheat the engine although with e85 that's not an issue.

Kalel370, what springs did you go with? I'm running boss springs now.

I'm running the boss springs also. I think you will be fine with the occasional shift at 7800. I used to shift at 7600 before the built motor with no problem. If you were boosted I would say no.

twistedneck

Established Member
Oh this is the car on YouTube, cool deal should run good!

yup, that's me.

2012 Mustang GT - Cobra Jet Cams - MT82 Milan Dragway 8/30/2013 - YouTube

and here on the dyno

Mustang Coyote - Stock GT with Boss Heads and Cobra Jet Cams - YouTube

what am I missing that I can take care of now motor wise? would love to see 500 at the wheels but i'm going to be lucky to get 30 from the cj and exhast upghprades. already at e85, I wonder if Shaun can get me more timing w/o knock??

this is it for NA, next year its a Dustin single turbo kit and all new long block. This one is going in my buddies fox after he gets pistons and rods.

boduke0220

Established Member
Oil pump gears and/or an harlequin damper like Evan (ejr on here) has. I'll probably get one of those eventually, but my car has seen 7600+ during burnouts before still runs great.

twistedneck

Established Member
Oil pump gears and/or an harlequin damper like Evan (ejr on here) has. I'll probably get one of those eventually, but my car has seen 7600+ during burnouts before still runs great.

I already have the gears, what does the harlequin damper do vs factory? I like the ati ones too.. though they were for safety only.

this car also has the larger pully boss alternator, as you can see i'm sqeezing every ounce out of the stock coyote short block.

I wonder if there is something I can do with ram air? my airbox is like most others in that it get the small feed from the grill that's mostly blocked by a random bracket. would a true direct feed ram air system add power?

boduke0220

Established Member
I already have the gears, what does the harlequin damper do vs factory? I like the ati ones too.. though they were for safety only.

this car also has the larger pully boss alternator, as you can see i'm sqeezing every ounce out of the stock coyote short block.

I wonder if there is something I can do with ram air? my airbox is like most others in that it get the small feed from the grill that's mostly blocked by a random bracket. would a true direct feed ram air system add power?

Harmonics* stupid iPhone. They are pretty much just a safety thing. You could probably route the intake back behind the grill or down below the headlight but I don't think it's worth it. Lighter Fluids throughout the whole car helps

Users who are viewing this thread