'12 Boss 302 Intake manifold

Full_Tilt

Banned
I recently noticed that evolution performance put the OEM 2012 Boss 302 intake manifold on there site as a pre-order for sale item.
This of course spurred my interest as it looks like a much different design than the stock '11 IM, not just a change made for appearance or a slight tweaking of the previous design.

boss302.jpg

According to ford, this is a "Runner in the box" manifold, which means nothing to me. Ive never heard that terminology used before.
If anybody can enlighten me on what exactly that means I would be delighted.
But anyway...

After searching some more I found this article:
2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 First Look
In which it says:
The more obvious change from the outside is the adoption of a new short-runner composite intake manifold sitting in the valley between the cylinder heads.

"The effect of the new intake design is dramatic," said Mike Harrison, Ford V8 program manager in a release. "When I took the prototype car to Mustang chief engineer Dave Pericak, he took a short drive, tossed me the keys and said 'Book it...it's in the program.' He knew what we were onto, and that's really the point where the Boss 302 was born."

Sounds interesting, eh?

The other adaptations to the engine (such as sodium filled valves and forged pistons) sound like they are not really upgrading output, but simply making it capable of sustaining the high rpm abuse of the raised rev limit (7500 rpm).
So it makes sense that the real power improvement is coming from this IM and the new cam profile (which apparently has zero peak increase in lift, so we can only assume its got a little more duration somewhere, it cant be that much more radical).
It may be safe to assume that this may provide an extra 20-30 hp to the '11 GTs that already have bolt-ons and provisions for tuning. I personally cant wait to see what happens.

Last edited:

GTG

Looking for a Money Pit
Established Member
I would think HP would be up in the higher RPMs, but torque would be down, especially on the low end because of the short runners

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The BOSS loses 10 foot pounds down low to the GT engine.

The runners in a box has been in use for road racing for a little while now.
The Y2KR was somewhat similar.
It was also used on the 5.0 cammer but was a little different with some IMRC stuff in it, I believe. With two plenums around the outside.
They(FRPP) also had one for the 3 valve I believe it was on a 5.0 big bore version though.

The BOSS uses hollow light weight intake valves, as well as the sodium filled exhaust valves you mentioned. Plus different springs, cams, and CNC ported heads. Different rods and pistons all that stuff is intended to survive the higher operating RPM. Yes it makes more power up there.

If someone builds a 2011 5.0 to rev higher and stay together, it will make serious power with that intake... no question about it.:rockon::beer:

Full_Tilt

Banned
The runners in a box has been in use for road racing for a little while now.
The Y2KR was somewhat similar.
It was also used on the 5.0 cammer but was a little different with some IMRC stuff in it, I believe. With two plenums around the outside.
They(FRPP) also had one for the 3 valve I believe it was on a 5.0 big bore version though.

But what exactly does "Runner in the box" mean? :??:
It looks like the runners come pretty much straight up into the floor of the plenum, nothing unusual really...

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
figure it to have tapered runners. depending on how many degrees they are tapered, the rpm band can be altered dramatically. its not always helmholtz tuning that makes power. 2 to 7 degrees of taper is a few hundred rpms difference im powerband. without changing runner length at all. a 14inch runner with 7 degrees of taper peaks at over 7k.

i think that intake could be classified more as a tunnel ram than anything else. i know its inspiried by the yates/roush protoype intakes. i ordered mine dec 21st.

depending on runner alignment, having all of the runners in a common plenum can enhance port to port ramming. a high pressure wave timed to coincide with another 3rd harmonic in another cylinder.

our stock intake is really toast after 6500. im interested to see what happens when peak power continues to climb after 6500.

3451-billf.jpg

Last edited:

wbt

Banned
I would like to see an aftermarket intake that falls between stock and this. ~7,500 RPM vs. 8,000 RPM redline.

I will probably hold off a bit until others have posted their experience.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
But what exactly does "Runner in the box" mean? :??:
It looks like the runners come pretty much straight up into the floor of the plenum, nothing unusual really...
it means exactly what it says. think of a hilborne set up, individual throttle bodies, or any other set up that has individual runners like this, then put a box over top of all of the runners. basically, you get the high flow rate of a velocity stack while being able to run a big single filter. i'm not an engineer, but i'm sure having all of the stacks in a big plenum helps out somehow too.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Runner in a box (in NY) is the term for someone that likes to run in the street. They usually don't last long.

Users who are viewing this thread