11 second Ford GT...STOCK!

kj385

Established Member
I hate to break the news to you guys but the new 05 mustang is not going to be anywere near 3000lbs.

lovemycobra

Established Member
the ford gt is cool..unfortunatly, there is gonna be a bigger dog in town for 1/2 the price...from the R&T:

"Beware, Dodge Viper and Ford GT. The 2006 C6 Corvette Z06's 6.3-liter Gen-IV small-block pushrod V-8 features 24 valves and makes 500 horses at 7000 rpm....The C6's small-block can grow to 7.0 liters and rev to 8000 rpm."

Oh ya, and they expect this car to weigh less then 3,000 lbs.:eek:
hmmmm...WOW is all i can say if GM pulls this one off!

wicked03snake

Established Member
they need 24 valves in a 6.3 liter v8 to make 500 hp? come on now they can do better than that, i know plenty of guys who can make that kind of power reliably with that old technology, does gm never pick up a summit catalog?

lovemycobra

Established Member
Originally posted by wicked03snake
they need 24 valves in a 6.3 liter v8 to make 500 hp? come on now they can do better than that, i know plenty of guys who can make that kind of power reliably with that old technology, does gm never pick up a summit catalog?

i was thinking the samething, but if that is what they are gonna do, then that is what they are gonna do. can you imagine a 2800 lb car with 500 hp?:eek: youre talking an 11.3 sec car out of the showroom floor...but like i said, this is what R&T says, who knows what will happen by 2006.

anyways..back to the GT..:beer:

wicked03snake

Established Member
i wish ford would set theyre sights on the corvette with a new pantera or something, the gt is downright awesome, but its not likely ill ever see any except the one that follows the ford racing trailers to the big races. ahhh if only my retirement(lottery)plan would work out lol

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by kj385
I hate to break the news to you guys but the new 05 mustang is not going to be anywere near 3000lbs.

Everyone knows that... They were just using the 3000lbs concept in a hypothetical situation.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by wicked03snake

Thats typical GM rational for you... if the engine doesnt do what they want it too, they throw displacement at the problem and hope for the best.

wicked03snake

Established Member
exactly 03cobrabro, im planning a street drivable 392 stroker for my 92 coupe with about 500 na hp. and by street drivable i mean a slight lope on nothing more than pump gas and i dont think it will be a problem with about 9.5:1 comp ratio and some heads that flow at least 200 cfm do you? thats about what gm plans except they use more valves so they can justify the price of a design thats already paid for its own r&d 40 years ago

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I agree with Joe. I don't think anyone who would but this car would have any desire to ever visit a drag strip with it? I may be wrong.

I think you will see a few of these at premier road courses around the US. I don't think they will be driven too agressively unless the owners have money to burn.

It must be an awesome car to have on a road course?

Sweet!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

wheelspin

Established Member
FYI, it auctioned for $575 thousand, with Leno as a helper to the autioneer. Proceeds went to charity.

*edited for oops*

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by wheelspin
FYI, it auctioned for $575 mil, with Leno as a helper to the autioneer. Proceeds went to charity.

Correction:

That would be 575k Or .575 mil if you prefer? A lot to pay for a car that will be selling for 100k used in 5 yrs?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

inVision

Established Member
Originally posted by lovemycobra
the ford gt is cool..unfortunatly, there is gonna be a bigger dog in town for 1/2 the price...from the R&T:

"Beware, Dodge Viper and Ford GT. The 2006 C6 Corvette Z06's 6.3-liter Gen-IV small-block pushrod V-8 features 24 valves and makes 500 horses at 7000 rpm....The C6's small-block can grow to 7.0 liters and rev to 8000 rpm."

Oh ya, and they expect this car to weigh less then 3,000 lbs.:eek:
hmmmm...WOW is all i can say if GM pulls this one off!

The current Commemorative Edition Z06, according to GM, weighs 3,118 lbs. So, don't be surprised if they figure out how to shed an additional 50-100 while increasing displacement.

inVision

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Thats typical GM rational for you... if the engine doesnt do what they want it too, they throw displacement at the problem and hope for the best.

Actually I think the current Z06 has an amazing engine, although it could use forged pistons. And I don't think they should be criticized for increasing displacement, after all it's still American muscle at heart:burnout:

I'm actually a bit disappointed that Ford is supercharging a 150K car to get the power, not the best choice for road racing. They could have gotten 500HP naturally aspirated. Nevertheless, I hope maybe the 2nd or 3rd year I'll be able to get my hands on one.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Weight to me isnt a very big issue to me, and GM's got the public believing that extra 50 to 100lbs makes the difference.

The Enzo weighs around 3200lbs and I dont think anyone would argue that the Enzo will not have a very hard time with a 3100/3000lbs Z06. Hell the Murci weighs upwards of 3700lbs, and the New Mercedes SLR Mclaren, thats supposed to be Mercedes equivlent of the Enzo, weighs 3890lbs.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by inVision
Actually I think the current Z06 has an amazing engine, although it could use forged pistons. And I don't think they should be criticized for increasing displacement, after all it's still American muscle at heart:burnout:

I'm actually a bit disappointed that Ford is supercharging a 150K car to get the power, not the best choice for road racing. They could have gotten 500HP naturally aspirated. Nevertheless, I hope maybe the 2nd or 3rd year I'll be able to get my hands on one.

I think its because ford realizes alot of these cars fall into the hands of tuners. A FI car is much easier to work with than a N/A car... You look at these 03 Cobra's for instance with there blown DOHC 4.6'es and see them running upwards of 1000hp on the stock internals, then you here the chevy people saying there's no replacement for displacement... There comes a point when in order to squeeze out anymore power you'll have to go to forced induction anyhow. Look at all the 800hp+ Vipers and Vettes out there. 99% of the time, at that point, they're all running some sort of FI setup or shooting N20. From my prespective, growing up around all kinds of 500 to 1000hp+ Grand Nationals and now owning a car thats like fords equivlent of what the Grand National was in its relative time, that N/A big displacement nonsence sounds very silly.

I agree, the essence of american muscle is a big block V8 blowing out massive horse power and torque, and thats fine... but we also need to remember back in the late 60's alot of it was also about technology, and alot of technology back then revolved around those big block V8's. With that said, the philosophy should still be the same today, it should be about technology... GM's getting ready to put out a pushrod that can rev to around 8000RPMS and carries 3 Valves per cylinder, while impressive, IMO as much time as GM's had to mold the pushrod formula, I think a power plant of this magnitude is passed due on the time line... I mean whats next? GM starts building "technologically advanced" carberators to go along with these new big blocks?

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Saleen Explorer
The SLR is the complete opposite of the Enzo:dw:

I said the SLR was the Mercedes equivalent of the Enzo... I didnt say Mercedes built the SLR souly to compete against the Enzo. With that said, the SLR maybe very different than the Enzo, but thats moot as far as the point I was trying to make is concerned.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Speaking of disappointment, I've just about had it up to my slide rule that it will take a larger displacement engine by GM for the Z06 to have much more than 405 gross hp. There is a car company in Italy that is getting 540 hp and 432 -lb-ft tq out of a 5.75 liter engine (note: this is only a smidgen larger than that of the Z06). Oh, yeah, the car company is Ferrari, and the car is the 612 Scaglietti which is estimated to sell for $256,000. On second thought, maybe I'm not so disappointed at GM needing a larger displacement engine for significantly greater (and EPA legal) hp. But, want to bet that if GM went to a supercharger that they not only could make that significantly greater hp with 5.7 liters but maybe even 5.4 liters? One more thing: If Mercedes can live with supercharged engines (and most of us are drooling over the power that these engines produce), why should any of us be upset, disappointed, out of sorts, or crying in our beer that Ford also chooses to supercharge? I just don't get it. Please explain it to me. Thanks. By the way, anybody wanna bet which cars will have the engines that will be least expensive to modify for even greater hp? Huh!!!

COBRA32

Established Member
Chevy will need more than 500 at the crank; when a Gt Ford makes 560 at the rear wheels on a dyno at Roush test facilities; that’s stock also. The Gt is not a drag car, but a road car where its handling is its strong suit and, it just with all that power it goes fast in a straight line also. The Gt actual horsepower is over 600 and the Vette will need to be a lot lighter than just a 250 pound to run with a GT making that kind of power.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
You must agree a positive displacement sc flattens the torque curve, no spool up etc. And twin screw highest tech positive displacement sc. makes sense no 8000 rpm needed. Damn wish the bore spacing was more though on the mod motors, would be better, and more possiblities.

Users who are viewing this thread