10R80 gurus chime in? (Adaptive Learning)

TORQUERULES

Established Member
So I found out recently that you can turn off the 10R80 adaptive learning with the Ford IDS tool. I asked my tuner if this could be done and he said he would make some calls and get back to me. He just did and sent me a revision to try with adaptive learning turned off. Has anyone done this on here and if so, what can I expect. I had the adaptive learning. I just want it to shift consistently no matter the conditions.

Attachments

• transmission_functions_b8f49157b3d6d372b550ae3c2fd6682b2a3f624b.jpg
    transmission_functions_b8f49157b3d6d372b550ae3c2fd6682b2a3f624b.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 122

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting. My mustang shifts abruptly and a little confused when cold, but after she's warm, shifts very nice.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I had a chance to load this and drive a little and I have to say that eliminating the adaptive learning has made a very positive difference. Gear engagements are quick and on time and there is not any hunting. It is shifting as it is supposed to. Gonna drive it a few more days and report back. Not sure if the shifting from 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 needs cleaned up where we worked on trying to overcome weird shifting in those gears (which is common with the 10R80), but for now it looks like it might be fine. It would be nice if the adaptive silliness was the issue all along. I will try to report back sometime next week.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I have put about 100 or so miles on it so far and just got a chance to try this with a cold transmission and I do believe the weird slippy/laggy cold shifts on the first run thought the gears is programmed into the adaptive learning and/or the torque management is disabled/lessened when adaptive learning is turned off because with it off the cold first shifts in those gears are very aggressive. More so than most people would like. Would be fine for racing, etc. where this is not a concern.

Warm, all the shifts are aggressive without the adaptive learning and again probably more than most would like, fine by me though.

Not sure if the cold shifts can now be programed to engage differently on that first run-through, but I may work on that. Back to the drawing board, but not giving up.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Even Torrie admits he is not sure the changes he made turned adaptive off, but I can tell that it did. Unlike when you load a tune and the transmission has to relearn all over and it wildly inconsistent with shifts for a while, this was consistent right from the get-go and did not vary. Tuning those first few gears is maybe worth a try to see if the harshness could be fixed. I am not sure what parameters to even suggest working on to be honest. Maybe timing and pressure? I do know that the transmission programing is set up from Ford to use pump pressure to determine shifts so that the trans fluid is flowing correctly. Maybe without adaptive slowing these shifts when cold, the shifts are now getting increased pressure from the transmission pump trying to move colder fluid. Who knows.

I am just tired of messing with this transmission trying to get it to behave the way it should Ford should be ashamed of the programming on this. Not to mention the mechanical issues such as the CDF clutch drum, etc. Frustrating.

But, hey. Adaptive can be turned off. For a racer this might be ideal.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I have another tune file to try with those first few shifts back in line with the others (we had tweaked them to try to fix the common laggy cold shift issue with 10R80s), so we will see how that goes with the adaptive turned off. I won't get around to loading it until late this weekend or Monday.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
That change (changing the 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 shift timing to be the same as the other gears) is much better with adaptive turned off, but the 3-4 and the 4-5 shifts are still jerky at times. I honestly think it is the nature of this transmission and the adaptive learning is used to smooth things out. Kind of a crappy way to design a transmission IMHO. I'll drive it a few more days and report back if anything changes (I haven't had a chance to really heat the transmission up well yet). Everything else is perfect. Even the weird cold first shifts are gone. Might not be a daily driver, but a good experiment to be sure. Would definitely be amazing for someone who races or changes tunes often, etc.

decipha

Established Member
adaptive dials in the hardware lag time for the commanded shift times

if adaptives are over compensating to the point that its creating issues then the trans shift time tables need to be adjusted

make sure the tuner leaves torque modulation on and you can actually increase torque modulation to make the shifts faster firmer and sportier that most people desire

dialing in transmissions remotely is a nightmare as its very very time consuming and requires extensive details from the driver

TORQUERULES

Established Member
adaptive dials in the hardware lag time for the commanded shift times

if adaptives are over compensating to the point that its creating issues then the trans shift time tables need to be adjusted

make sure the tuner leaves torque modulation on and you can actually increase torque modulation to make the shifts faster firmer and sportier that most people desire

dialing in transmissions remotely is a nightmare as its very very time consuming and requires extensive details from the driver
We have my shifting dialed in pretty perfectly whenever the transmission temperature is proper. Actually even when it's cold it's fine except for the first time it goes through the gears. It has a delay on the three to four and the four to five shifts. Even if the transmission temperature hasn't changed significantly, they are fine after those first run through the gears. It's something that we've worked on, and got it mitigated somewhat, but it just won't go away and it makes me think it's something ingrained in the adaptive learning.

Last edited:

Santiago

Established Member
We have my shifting dialed in pretty perfectly whenever the transmission temperature is proper. Actually even when it's cold it's fine except for the first time it goes through the gears. It actually has a delay on the three to four and the four to five shifts. Even if the transmission temperature hasn't changed significantly, they are fine. After those first run through the gear shifts. That's something that we've worked on and got it mitigated somewhat but it just won't go away and it makes me think it's something ingrained in the adaptive learning.
My car does the same thing the first 3 mins of driving like you said once it warms up or I guess drive it than it goes alway but over all it shifts beautiful after it warms up

TORQUERULES

Established Member
My car does the same thing the first 3 mins of driving like you said once it warms up or I guess drive it than it goes alway but over all it shifts beautiful after it warms up
Yeah, some days it'll be just fine, other days it'll just be a delayed shift, some days it seems like a torque converter flare, and then others, when it's really bad, it seems like it's a full-on slip. And from talking to a lot of people, this seems like a common thing with these. It can't in any way shape or form be good for transmission to go through this almost every time you drive it.

Ford should be ashamed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread