100 Octane Gains Over 91 Octane - 76 Pump Gas Stations

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I've searched both this website and the web in general to see if anyone has data on the gains from running 100 Octane with appropriate tune over 91 (California). I know you can't just dump the fuel in and expect gains (mentioning this only for others benefits who aren't familiar with the subject)

I've only run across one website where a member posted his profile with 91 vs 100 octane dyno numbers (it was aprox 20hp but don't recall specifics, think it was on a ported eaton car)

I'd like to get member feedback on this subject. :poke:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Same concept as running torco or e85. The power is going to come from the extra boost and timing you will be able to run. I imagine 20-30whp will be right on point over 91.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Same concept as running torco or e85. The power is going to come from the extra boost and timing you will be able to run. I imagine 20-30whp will be right on point over 91.

Thanks for the feedback. :beer:

How about anyone with specific experience with gains on a BPU Terminator?

I'm really wondering if it would be worth the time/expense of getting a 100 Octane map dyno tune. Will I gain 20ish HP with my modest modifications or would it be a 5 HP gain????

Was hoping to learn from others experience and avoid waisting $$$ if possible.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. :beer:

How about anyone with specific experience with gains on a BPU Terminator?

I'm really wondering if it would be worth the time/expense of getting a 100 Octane map dyno tune. Will I gain 20ish HP with my modest modifications or would it be a 5 HP gain????

Was hoping to learn from others experience and avoid waisting $$$ if possible.

I imagine a bolt on terminator could pick up 20-30 switching from 91 to 100.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
LMAO... See OP's sig in his original post. He is the only person I have ever hear refer to bolt on as "BPU" Basic Power Upgrade

"BPU" is nomenclature used in the "turbo world" that predates the year Y2K, but I'm not exactly sure how far back people were using it.

BPU or Basic Performance Upgrades translates to mean slightly different mods on different cars, but can be aggregated into three basic mods: 1) Intake 2) Exhaust 3) Boost.

Having never actually researched the origin of this widely used term among turbo car owners, I actually found someone who claims to have trademarked the term out of the Supra camp. :coolman: -> FAQ - BPU™ - What Does It Mean?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
"BPU" is nomenclature used in the "turbo world" that predates the year Y2K, but I'm not exactly sure how far back people were using it.

BPU or Basic Performance Upgrades translates to mean slightly different mods on different cars, but can be aggregated into three basic mods: 1) Intake 2) Exhaust 3) Boost.

Having never actually researched the origin of this widely used term among turbo car owners, I actually found someone who claims to have trademarked the term out of the Supra camp. :coolman: -> FAQ - BPU™ - What Does It Mean?

We know. We aren't driving Supra's though :-D With some of the track times and horsepower #'s you would think that way though.

racebronco2

Established Member
On my car 1 degree of timing is worth about 9hp, 9tq. I was at 570rwhp and we ended up adding 3 degrees of timing which brought it up to 595hp/597tq. I was at 17psi i believe.

stangfreak

Established Member
I wouldn't waste my time using 100 octane on a pullied bolt on cobra. when you start throwing a twinscrew or tvs at high boost, then you can start using race gas. An eaton can only do so much and move so much air. Its not worth it IMO.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
On my car 1 degree of timing is worth about 9hp, 9tq. I was at 570rwhp and we ended up adding 3 degrees of timing which brought it up to 595hp/597tq. I was at 17psi i believe.

Thanks RaceBronco2. This is the exact kind of data I was looking for versus general opinion.

Nearly 5% gain by running 100 octane seems beneficial.

I would not expect my BPU Cobra to pick up as much due to setup, but if I could net a high 3% gain it would be enough for me to consider it worthwhile.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member

This....just make sure you throw some more timing in the equation, then it'll be worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread