10 spline vs.26 spline opinions

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
ok so i have been doing some reading and talking with a few people, and i just wanted to bring up and ask what everyone's opinion is.

first off how many of you have not changed over to a 26 spline setup and are running a whipple/kb or spray?

from what i have seen, many people simply switch to a 26 spline because its " what people do" when they mod their car.

how much truth is there to a 10 spline breaking more easily over a 26 spline? is there even any?

open for discussion. thanks guys..

Dave

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I'm interested in hearing the answer to this as well.

Maybe the more important question is how many have broken a 10 spline vs 26?

Also, at what point did it break? Launch? 1-2 shift?

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I don't know why this same subject just keeps coming up????

The stock 10 spline is weak and plenty of people have broken them. If you want to make any serious power it should be upgraded. The conditions in which people have broken them can vary greatly, but the bottom line is that they break so just upgrade it and so you don't have to worry about it.

(not my pics)
clutch_inputshaft010.jpg

clutch_inputshaft011.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Got these from ModularFords. As posted by RAZRS EDGE

"Yup, they break. This was almost 3 years ago. At the time it was a KB 2.2 car @ 18psi making 644rwhp. Broke it on the street shifting into 4th gear. Wasn't even powershifting."

I've read of many cases where people have broken them with much less power as well, you just have to search the subject.

Last edited:

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
It is really logical to upgrade the input shaft to a 26 spline input shaft for a couple of reasons. First, financially it is cheaper in the long run to go ahead and do it. When you add substantial power to your Stang you will need to upgrade the clutch. It would suck to take the cheap route and buy a 10 spline clutch only to go out and break the input shaft. Then you are faced with either buying another 10 spline input shaft that you know you are likely going to break again so you can use your $300-$500 clutch you just bought. Or you can upgrade your input shaft to a 26 spline input shaft making your new clutch nothing more than a paperweight to you. Then you'll have to shell out another $300-$500 for another clutch. Secondly, unless you just enjoy pulling the T-56 out :xpl: you should upgrade the input shaft when you change the clutch. I would do it in this order. Upgrade the input shaft at your next clutch change or upgrade the clutch if you break the input shaft. Also Evit Twins makes a great point...a lot of people have broken the 10 spline shafts. By design the 10 spline is inferior to the 26 in more ways than just the number of splines cut into it. The cuts in the 10 spline shaft are cut much deeper into the center of the shaft than the 26 allowing the teeth to flex quite a bit more. Your decision your money. Good luck.

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Stock 10 spline here still, but I'll upgrade it the next time I have the trans out for a new clutch/flywheel...
or if it breaks between now and then. It's something that could last
for a while or it could break relatively easily on a higher horsepower car.
There's no point messing around really. Just swap it out and be done with it.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
i have searched a bit.....but i have not seen THAT many cases of them simply breaking. the stock shafts have more give than rigid aftermarket ones...and in most cases they bend, they dont right away break. i have seen people bend a 26 spline just as well as 10 splines. thats the only reason i am asking.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
i have searched a bit.....but i have not seen THAT many cases of them simply breaking. the stock shafts have more give than rigid aftermarket ones...and in most cases they bend, they dont right away break. i have seen people bend a 26 spline just as well as 10 splines. thats the only reason i am asking.

Well to me it sounds like you are set in keeping your 10 spline. I wish you luck. Do you track the car?

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member

There have been enough cases for me not to bother messing around with it. The only way I recommend keeping the stock 10-spline is if you plan on keeping the stock clutch until it fails. If you upgrade the clutch and don't bother with the input shaft I think you're just being plain silly...

The stock 10-spline is weak because of the depth of the grooves for the limited amount of splines, cuts that deep severely weaken the shaft as it cuts down significantly on the diameter compared to the 26 spline. The teeth are also much longer which makes the leverage applied to them very high compared to that of the 26 spline. I'm not sure how the shafts are made but if the splines are machined rather than cast or forged, cuts like that on the 10-spline create significant surface stresses in the steel because it cuts into the grain structure of the metal.

If you keep the stock 10-spline and go with an aftermarket clutch you will certainly feel like an idiot if/when it breaks. Like it has been mentioned before, you will be stuck in a spot where you will have an expensive decision to make which would be replacing the shaft and the clutch again.

If you're hesitant on upgrading the shaft because of the work it takes to replace it, I really wouldn't be! The procedure is fairly simple and there is a GREAT walkthrough on this forum for how to replace it, with pictures!!

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
i have had the 26 spline setup before, went auto, and now i am going back t56. i found a great deal on a mcloud setup(26) spline and i am buying it. i just wanted to make sure it was necessary.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
i have had the 26 spline setup before, went auto, and now i am going back t56. i found a great deal on a mcloud setup(26) spline and i am buying it. i just wanted to make sure it was necessary.

I upgraded my set up to a 26 spline 2 clutches ago.

Why are you swapping out the auto?

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member

i have been through 3 built autos ( not lentechs) but were built by my tuner and his shop. they think it might have been something wrong with either the valve body, or my rear end gears? i dont know.....i just want to simplify my car again because its not fun driving it 3 months out of the year.:dw:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member

Maybe he wants to have some fun while driving again!! :rolling:

.....i just want to simplify my car again because its not fun driving it 3 months out of the year.:dw:

Man I know this all to well.... :(

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
It is really logical to upgrade the input shaft to a 26 spline input shaft for a couple of reasons. First, financially it is cheaper in the long run to go ahead and do it. When you add substantial power to your Stang you will need to upgrade the clutch. It would suck to take the cheap route and buy a 10 spline clutch only to go out and break the input shaft. Then you are faced with either buying another 10 spline input shaft that you know you are likely going to break again so you can use your $300-$500 clutch you just bought. Or you can upgrade your input shaft to a 26 spline input shaft making your new clutch nothing more than a paperweight to you. Then you'll have to shell out another $300-$500 for another clutch. Secondly, unless you just enjoy pulling the T-56 out :xpl: you should upgrade the input shaft when you change the clutch. I would do it in this order. Upgrade the input shaft at your next clutch change or upgrade the clutch if you break the input shaft. Also Evit Twins makes a great point...a lot of people have broken the 10 spline shafts. By design the 10 spline is inferior to the 26 in more ways than just the number of splines cut into it. The cuts in the 10 spline shaft are cut much deeper into the center of the shaft than the 26 allowing the teeth to flex quite a bit more. Your decision your money. Good luck.

well put, and my sentiments exactly

at my power level and the way i drive it almost certainly would have been no chance of me breaking the 10 spline

but i upgraded it at my first clutch job a few years ago, basically just because the trans was out, and i did some other internal trans upgrades, and you never know what lies down the road :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread