10' GT500 or 11'/12' GT?

DaFreak

Established Member
Dude, get the 500! If you don't you'll always look at your GT and think of that 500 you had your eye on. You don't want that. You can get almost any mileage you want ( up to 24mpg or so) depending on how you drive it. I get about 13 in town but I hammer it every chance I get. Just 2 days ago I took the long way home and decided to cruise it. I reset the MPG calculator for the trip and got 21mpg. That included a few thumps too. So just get the 500 and have fun when you want to but also save the earth/your wallet when you want to.

DaFreak

jsarkis

Established Member
No ?, get the 2010 GT500 or you'll regret it. If I drive easy I can easily get 20mpg with my car or more on the highway. If I hammer it I'm close to 12mpg, but that's staying in boost.

01silverstang

Established Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
my 2010 shelby will do this all day long........easy!

I see at the very least 15 mpg with all city stop-and-go driving. The mpg calculator is backed up with good ole fashion math when I fill up the tank. On long highway cruises I can get 25+. I drive moderately agressive, but I'm not punching it at every stop light. Hope this helps!

Oh and my '10 has a TVS and a rich tune.

Dude, get the 500! If you don't you'll always look at your GT and think of that 500 you had your eye on. You don't want that. You can get almost any mileage you want ( up to 24mpg or so) depending on how you drive it. I get about 13 in town but I hammer it every chance I get. Just 2 days ago I took the long way home and decided to cruise it. I reset the MPG calculator for the trip and got 21mpg. That included a few thumps too. So just get the 500 and have fun when you want to but also save the earth/your wallet when you want to.

DaFreak

This is making my decision much easier, lol thanks guys. I assumed if driven like a mere mortal the GT500 should still be able to post "ok" mpg numbers. I have found quite a few within say $5000 of where I would probably end up on a new GT. They are all 2010's and have under 20k miles. I should be able to add extended warranty to them, and end up close to where a new GT will put me. I think if I can swing here in the next couple months I will look for a GT500. Now I just need to convince my wife what you guys all know that the GT500 is more than just a regular Mustang... :D

USMC500

Established Member
hey I bought my 08GT500 last may and never looked back I am currently running 570 rwhp on a (mustang dyno) and I get 21.5 mpg on the highway and in town it just depends how heavy my foot is that day lol. I have 4.30 in the car I would go with the Shelby Good luck just go with your heart we dont buy these cars to worry over a few MPG we buy them cause there a true american car FORD MUSTANG.
As for the insurance you can call grundy collector car insurance thats what i have I pay $700 a year I am 30 years old no limit in mileage and have a agreed value of 55,000 dollars on my car. You just need a pretty clean driving record and a somewhat newer i think 2004 and above "daily driver" Give them a car and see if you qualify.

Last edited:

01silverstang

Established Member
hey I bought my 08GT500 last may and never looked back I am currently running 570 rwhp on a (mustang dyno) and I get 21.5 mpg on the highway and in town it just depends how heavy my foot is that day lol. I have 4.30 in the car I would go with the Shelby Good luck just go with your heart we dont buy these cars to worry over a few MPG we buy them cause there a true american car FORD MUSTANG.
As for the insurance you can call grundy collector car insurance thats what i have I pay $700 a year I am 30 years old no limit in mileage and have a agreed value of 55,000 dollars on my car. You just need a pretty clean driving record and a somewhat newer i think 2004 and above "daily driver" Give them a car and see if you qualify.

Thanks for the push in the right direction. I will have to look into them. I'm 27 will be 28 in July, with no at fault accidents or tickets on my record in years. State Farm was quoting me like $115/mo for a brand new 11' GT.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I went through this debate, and I bought the 2010 gt500. I absolutely love it.
Over my 2008 GT, I think my insurance went up like $40 per month.

I avergae around 14mpg, which is nearly all stop and go driving. On the highway, I can actually get pretty decnet mileage, but it is in direct proportion to gentle you are on the go pedal.

If you get the GT, you will kick yourdelf for years to come. Sure, it is still a great car, but they will be everywhere in a few years. There is no exclusivity or "specialness" to the car. I rarely come across another 2010+ GT500 on the road.

BigDan

Established Member
Whatever you do don't test drive a 2011 GT500 unless you are willing to spend the $44k to get one. My 2011 PP feels so much lighter on its feet then a new GT. I drove my buddies 2011 GT home from the track and I couldn't wait to get out of it. It just felt low class, and handled like crap compared to my 2011 PP.

What is you budget because there are members on forums selling 2011's with under 2k miles for $43-44k maybe even lower with higher mileage? Ford gave the 2011 over $10k in upgrades over the previous year. I made a list that can be seen here.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/767569-thinking-buying-gt500.html

I just got 20.5 mpg going up to lake Tahoe and 28 mpg coming back down last night in my 2011 GT500. That is great considering the elevation change and steep grades.

01silverstang

Established Member
Whatever you do don't test drive a 2011 GT500 unless you are willing to spend the $44k to get one. My 2011 PP feels so much lighter on its feet then a new GT. I drove my buddies 2011 GT home from the track and I couldn't wait to get out of it. It just felt low class, and handled like crap compared to my 2011 PP.

What is you budget because there are members on forums selling 2011's with under 2k miles for $43-44k maybe even lower with higher mileage? Ford gave the 2011 over $10k in upgrades over the previous year. I made a list that can be seen here.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/767569-thinking-buying-gt500.html

I just got 20.5 mpg going up to lake Tahoe and 28 mpg coming back down last night in my 2011 GT500. That is great considering the elevation change and steep grades.

This was my thinking. I assume that depending on driver the 10' could still get decent gas mileage, and I'm sure the 11' could get even better being lighter. The 11' will probably be out of my price range however, though I realize it's the better car.

Does anyone know if you can retrofit, heated seats into the GT500? I would also be curious if you could retrofit the power seat controls to the passenger side... this won't be a track day car for me and those two features would really help out.

01silverstang

Established Member
Nobody has thought about retro fitting heated seats at minimum, or considered if the passenger seats can be retrofitted with power seat controls?

P.S. Saw a black with silver stripe 11 vert drive on Saturday and it sealed the deal, I will have a GT500. :beer:

airmanb2b

Established Member
After my 03 cobra, i was hooked. Had to get the gt500 and havent looked back. Stay out of it for dd and you will get 20+ mpg all day long. There something about snakes on side that will make you stand out from the crowd.

01silverstang

Established Member
After my 03 cobra, i was hooked. Had to get the gt500 and havent looked back. Stay out of it for dd and you will get 20+ mpg all day long. There something about snakes on side that will make you stand out from the crowd.

My thoughts exactly…

SicShelby09

Banned

There is also something special about a procharged '11 GT 5.0 wiping the floor with a pulley GT500. To the OP, ofcourse you are going to get almost every single person here telling you to get the GT500. Now, post this thread over in the 5.0 section and you will get a whole other set of opinions. I had an 09 GT500 that I traded in on my '11 GT mainly because I needed a cheaper car and loved the styling of the next gen mustangs and could not afford a newer GT500. But I must say that this new 5.0 makes my forget my pulley GT500. It sticks like glue in first and pulls like it wants to rip your head off all the way to the 7K rpm redline. Also, no matter what is said about the handling, I KNOW that is feels lighter and much more nimble than the 07-09 cars. Lets not forget that you can get a '12 base 6speed with brembos and 3.73 gears for way under $30K OTD. Get that $5k procharger and you will be giving most GT500 owners fits out on the streets. There are guys still running the stock motors with 10+ lbs of boost with D1SC's running 620rwhp+. And the base GTs weigh in the 3580ish without driver. I saved a TON of money, and the new 5.0 4v motor is proving to be a badass, NA and with boost. Add to that the new styling and several options like brembos and the gears that will make you not miss too much about not getting a GT500. All the factory options you want from the GT500 can be had in the GT and MORE! Backup camera and those elusive heated seats. Think about how much you will be saving...... And for the record, I took those stupid shelby letters off my trunk the first week I had mine. I would have been happier if they just called it a cobra.

Edit: and with just a simple tune, you can get this..........

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=528GxZ7_7FU&feature=related"]YouTube - Romp through the parking lot with Jon Lund's 93 Race Tune and Ghost Cams[/nomedia]

Last edited:

01silverstang

Established Member
There is also something special about a procharged '11 GT 5.0 wiping the floor with a pulley GT500. To the OP, ofcourse you are going to get almost every single person here telling you to get the GT500. Now, post this thread over in the 5.0 section and you will get a whole other set of opinions. I had an 09 GT500 that I traded in on my '11 GT mainly because I needed a cheaper car and loved the styling of the next gen mustangs and could not afford a newer GT500. But I must say that this new 5.0 makes my forget my pulley GT500. It sticks like glue in first and pulls like it wants to rip your head off all the way to the 7K rpm redline. Also, no matter what is said about the handling, I KNOW that is feels lighter and much more nimble than the 07-09 cars. Lets not forget that you can get a '12 base 6speed with brembos and 3.73 gears for way under $30K OTD. Get that $5k procharger and you will be giving most GT500 owners fits out on the streets. There are guys still running the stock motors with 10+ lbs of boost with D1SC's running 620rwhp+. And the base GTs weigh in the 3580ish without driver. I saved a TON of money, and the new 5.0 4v motor is proving to be a badass, NA and with boost. Add to that the new styling and several options like brembos and the gears that will make you not miss too much about not getting a GT500. All the factory options you want from the GT500 can be had in the GT and MORE! Backup camera and those elusive heated seats. Think about how much you will be saving...... And for the record, I took those stupid shelby letters off my trunk the first week I had mine. I would have been happier if they just called it a cobra.

Edit: and with just a simple tune, you can get this..........

YouTube - Romp through the parking lot with Jon Lund's 93 Race Tune and Ghost Cams

If the finances don't allow the GT500, I will in no way be unhappy ordering a new 2012 GT. You are right... it's lighter, the new 5.0 is an incredible motor, and it has options galore.

The only problem for me is that I have modded previous cars and it seems in every one reliability suffered in some form or another. This car will not be modded down the road except for the basics on the GT500 pulley/cai/tune... or GT cai/GT500 mufflers... and possibly a tune if they can figure out cylinder #8. So with limited modding going to take place as my future fun money will be going towards a house and a baby, the GT500 has become the better choice as it's already at 540hp stock.

Like I said I don't think I can go wrong either way...

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
That is the exactl reason I went with the GT500. I had a baby on the way when I was shipping, and I wasn't sure how much mod money there would be down the road, so the GT500 was a better option for me becuase it would be a lot more fun with all the bolt ons vs a 5.0 with the bolt ons.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Id love to have a 5.0 with an automatic. It would get 4.10s, full exhaust, cold air, tune and drag radials. Add a 150 shot and its perfect.

jimh

Established Member
As a daily driver the 10 is going to get better mielage than the 07-09 so that's a plus. The 10s and later have a steeper overdrive for both 5th and 6th gear and 6th is 0.5:1. On the 07-09 it's .63. The GT has a six speed but only 6th is an overdrive, (5th is 1:1) I have no idea what the ratio is but I doubt the ratio drops from 1:1 to .5:1 (50%) in one gear. Also if you are going to mod at all the GT trans is not holding up well from what I've read.

Since you're going to be starting a family and may be changing vehicles down the road... I think the GT500 is going to retain it's value better, even as a daily driver. So, that's something to think about as well. I don't think mileage is that bad in the gt500s. I do mostly city driving in my 09 and avereage mid 15s on the trip computer. I don't do a lot of driving so when I do my foot is a little heavier than it needs to be. I live in South Fla and the air is not that great (too humid). It gets better mileage up north. And the premium gas thing... even if it's $.20 more per gallon on a 15 gallon fill up it's an extra $3. So instead of $60 for a tank, it's $63. Maybe that's just how I justify it to myself but hey, it works for me. :)

Good luck,
jim

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
The automatics in the 2011+ have been fine and holding tons of power so far. Its the manual that has been a sack of suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

jimh

Established Member
Oh and about the convevience stuff. They didn't include a power passenger seat for a couple reasons. 1 - the vcar is heavy enough. and 2 - It's a 2 door car. Using the electronic seats to get in out of the back is a pain, not much of a convenience. And once a seat is set how often do you really reposition it? Unless it's to get something out of the back then the manual seat is faster and easier. Heated seats would have been a plus but it just wasn't there. The 10s already have the upgraded electronics, NAV, and Sync.

01silverstang

Established Member
As a daily driver the 10 is going to get better mielage than the 07-09 so that's a plus. The 10s and later have a steeper overdrive for both 5th and 6th gear and 6th is 0.5:1. On the 07-09 it's .63. The GT has a six speed but only 6th is an overdrive, (5th is 1:1) I have no idea what the ratio is but I doubt the ratio drops from 1:1 to .5:1 (50%) in one gear. Also if you are going to mod at all the GT trans is not holding up well from what I've read.

Since you're going to be starting a family and may be changing vehicles down the road... I think the GT500 is going to retain it's value better, even as a daily driver. So, that's something to think about as well. I don't think mileage is that bad in the gt500s. I do mostly city driving in my 09 and avereage mid 15s on the trip computer. I don't do a lot of driving so when I do my foot is a little heavier than it needs to be. I live in South Fla and the air is not that great (too humid). It gets better mileage up north. And the premium gas thing... even if it's $.20 more per gallon on a 15 gallon fill up it's an extra $3. So instead of $60 for a tank, it's $63. Maybe that's just how I justify it to myself but hey, it works for me. :)

Good luck,
jim

I think if I get the GT500, I will be keeping it for a long time. I think the GT500 by nature lends itself to being held onto, because 10 years down the road it will still be a GT500. I think the horsepower even without boltons will be more than I will ever need.

For as much as I get pissed about gas prices I think that while 87/89/91 octane are all over priced, you are right, the difference 89-91 is only 15-20 cents. My commute isn't long and it appears when driven in a reasonable manner the car can achieve decent fuel economy for what it is.

State Farm has quote me $146/mo. for insurance. I think that's a little high, and will be checking with Grundy as another member suggested.

Automatic was never an option, just can't do it day in an day out. I enjoy driving my wife's auto equipped car when I'm feeling lazy, but couldn't own one.

The power seat has become less of a problem. Since my wife will be in the passenger seat, once she sets it where she wants, that's where it will stay. I am still curious if heated seats could be retorfitted. I imagine everything is already set up for it... as mentioned the GT with electronic pack has the heated seats to the left and right of the temp controls. Just need the heater element to go under the seat leather, and controls?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I definitely understand the concept of getting the GT and then put a blower on it and your spending a little less for a car that's faster. I get it, but what I don't get is how anyone can say that the money spent is more ecconmical than just buying the 500 from the start.
When you buy a new car, or finance a car whether slightly used or new, you are rolling everything that comes with the car into the monthly payment. When you consider that its almost impossible to get financed on a car nowadays with any kind of descent rate without putting a chunk of ching down on it, you can start to see the dilemma that you come to with the thought of dumping another large chunk into a modification right out of the gate.
For me at least; its much easier to put what I have down on the car and then live comfortable with a relatively small car payment, than it would be if I had put a small amount down so that I could spend $5k+ on a supercharger and supporting mods a week later and then be left with a much larger car payment that will do little to keep me right side up on the other end of it because of the larger interest rate and less desirable resale.

The other issue you have to consider is with the larger price tag on the GT500, you not only get the better handling and higher HP car with the Cobra on the side, but you get a WARRANTY to go along with it. The day you slap that $5000+ D1SC on a GT, yes you get one BAD ASS machine, but you also get a completely voided warranty on a brand new car that is costing you almost the same per month that you would be paying on the 500 AND without the Cobra on the side (which believe it or not, does mean a lot to some people).

I know this is the opinion of a GT500 owner so it may seem biased, but I balanced all of this when I made my decision and the best bang for the buck all things considered at the end of it all, always came out to be the 500. Not to mention, like stated above, once you own a Cobra there's just something about it...

Honestly, who out there that decides to buy a GT because they can't afford a GT500, has an extra $5k+ to drop on a supercharger anyway? There's certainly nothing wrong with the GT and for the money, if its in your price range and the 500 isn't, its an amazing car with an outstanding value, but I just don't think its value out weighs a slightly used 10 (or even better 11) 500 if you have the money for either one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread