10' GT500 or 11'/12' GT?

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I had the same decision to make last fall, after I sold my 03 Term. Vert. Order a new '11 Premium GT, 6 speed Vert with Brembo's and 3.73's, [except you cant get the gears from the factory on a Vert], or a new '11 GT 500 Vert. with the Perf. Pack and maybe the Nav. $ 40,000 vs. $ 60,000 at Msrp. Lots of GT's out there, but $ 60K for a Muskrat??!! Planned to put the FRPP Blower on the GT $ 7K installed with warranty. Ended up buying the last left-over new 09 Vert, 40 miles away for much less than the GT. FRPP Cai, Tune, KR Mufflers, Lowered the Rear and Adj. Panhard Bar..500 RWHP, 473 RWTQ, Sae. Full factory warranty in effect. Going to work on the suspension, it's still a boat. Maybe look into that option????

01silverstang

Established Member
I had the same decision to make last fall, after I sold my 03 Term. Vert. Order a new '11 Premium GT, 6 speed Vert with Brembo's and 3.73's, [except you cant get the gears from the factory on a Vert], or a new '11 GT 500 Vert. with the Perf. Pack and maybe the Nav. $ 40,000 vs. $ 60,000 at Msrp. Lots of GT's out there, but $ 60K for a Muskrat??!! Planned to put the FRPP Blower on the GT $ 7K installed with warranty. Ended up buying the last left-over new 09 Vert, 40 miles away for much less than the GT. FRPP Cai, Tune, KR Mufflers, Lowered the Rear and Adj. Panhard Bar..500 RWHP, 473 RWTQ, Sae. Full factory warranty in effect. Going to work on the suspension, it's still a boat. Maybe look into that option????

The two cars I'm picking between has already been decided. I will either order a 2012 GT Premium with Electronics/Comfort/Brembo in Performance White over Charcoal.... or look for a slightly used 2010 or 2011 GT500 in Sterling/Silver or Red/White with Electronics.

Based on those options the "add a supercharger to the GT" argument doesn't hold much weight as to add the FRPP with warranty would put me in a GT500 easy.

When I get a little closer to buying I will go and test drive the closest GT500 I can with her and see what she thinks. I really like the idea of not having to do anything to the car and still loving it. The GT500 has the horsepower, the exhaust is dead on, etc.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
It's a shame your so far away. I'd give you a shot at rowing through the gears in my pulley / exhaust / suspension GT500 and I think your mind would easily be made up. Mine's a 10, so the SVTPP package was out of the question. I just did the suspension my way (which I'd rather do anyway) and I couldn't be happier. J&M and Steeda hard parts, Eibach ProKit springs and Tokico D-specs and my car is like a Cadilac when I want it to be and like its on rails with a few twists of the damper adjustments.
I'm getting ready to throw the lower on it and hopefully have the blower ported at the end of the summer. By next summer, my goal is to be around the 600 RWHP mark and that's more than enough for me for a street car. Its hard enough to get 540 RWHP to stick to the ground, let alone 600+, not that I wouldn't be happy to have mega power on tap, it's just not a necessity for me at this point. I'd rather have a comfortable, reliable, attention grabber than a 9 second street car that made me crazy to drive on the street.

Last edited:

01silverstang

Established Member
It's a shame your so far away. I'd give you a shot at rowing through the gears in my pulley / exhaust / suspension GT500 and I think your mind would easily be made up. Mine's a 10, so the SVTPP package was out of the question. I just did the suspension my way (which I'd rather do anyway) and I couldn't be happier. J&M and Steeda hard parts, Eibach ProKit springs and Tokico D-specs and my car is like a Cadilac when I want it to be and like its on rails with a few twists of the damper adjustments.
I'm getting ready to throw the lower on it and hopefully have the blower ported at the end of the summer. By next summer, my goal is to be around the 600 RWHP mark and that's more than enough for me for a street car. Its hard enough to get 540 RWHP to stick to the ground, let alone 600+, not that I wouldn't be happy to have mega power on tap, it's just not a necessity for me at this point. I'd rather have a comfortable, reliable, attention grabber than a 9 second street car that made me crazy to drive on the street.

Yeah I think my mind is pretty much made up. I would def. take you up on the offer, there aren't many used 10' GT500's for sale around here and I'm sure most dealers are a little worried about test drives. I know I would be, tire kickers looking to joyride.

Glad to hear you like your 10' as the 11' will be out of my price range for sure. I think with gas going up and the 2012's hitting, and most 2010's hovering right around $40k used, I should be able to swing a pretty good deal. I will be buying cash so hopefully that makes my negotiating stronger. :rockon:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Don't be afraid to travel for the right deal. I got my vert 03 Cobra in Alabama, my coupe in Georgia, my Titan in Michigan and my Lightning in Virginia. I live in NJ, but the deals I got on all those cars were just that good. Oddly enough, my GT500 is the first car I bought in NJ since 2000.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Don't be afraid to travel for the right deal. I got my vert 03 Cobra in Alabama, my coupe in Georgia, my Titan in Michigan and my Lightning in Virginia. I live in NJ, but the deals I got on all those cars were just that good. Oddly enough, my GT500 is the first car I bought in NJ since 2000.

10/4 on this... Got mine from MN and have NO regrets! My Vette came from CA so I know what you mean

01silverstang

Established Member

10/4 on this... Got mine from MN and have NO regrets! My Vette came from CA so I know what you mean

I have always planned on traveling to pick up whichever car I go with... Kansas is probably a good market if you are looking for a used truck, but just not a lot of good deals on sports cars here. So far it seems Texas, South Carolina are pretty good for Mustangs... California had a lot more Vettes when they were in my search.

I probably wouldn't buy from a private seller long distance, but def. through a dealership. Now I just need to figure out color....

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
Made the same decision this last August (cept I got an '08 with 3k miles); came from an 03 Cobra.

I'm kinda surprised that fuel mileage is such a big sticking point - I know the 5.0 gets pretty good mileage, but I assume any enthusiast looking at either is not really going to give a rip about it; at least I don't.

Anywho - I traveled to NJ to get mine; totally worth it. I DD mine and love it.

01silverstang

Established Member
Made the same decision this last August (cept I got an '08 with 3k miles); came from an 03 Cobra.

I'm kinda surprised that fuel mileage is such a big sticking point - I know the 5.0 gets pretty good mileage, but I assume any enthusiast looking at either is not really going to give a rip about it; at least I don't.

Anywho - I traveled to NJ to get mine; totally worth it. I DD mine and love it.

The gas mileage is an issue to me, mainly because it's going to be a daily driver, and because part of me just can't fathom to own a car that would legitimately get around 10 mpg in the city. I love the new M3 and had thought about purchasing an E90 4 door, but that car in actual driving will never get more than 14-15 mpg city and often times much less. I want the ability to drive the GT500 up to Chicago to visit the wife's family and not needing two full tanks by the time I get there. Based on what people are reporting, I will use 1 tank and probably another 1/4 tank when I arrive. I'm ok with that as it's about what I'm getting in my 04' 5 speed 325Ci.

I have a couple financial things coming together over the next month or two and depending on how that turns out I will most likely be looking for a GT500 this summer. While summer is typically sports car season for selling, my guess is if gas continues to rise the demand won't be there like normal. If I can't find what I want for the right price I may even hold off looking till next fall into winter as I'm sure the demand will go down with inclement weather.

I'm coming to the conlusion that even if I'm not financially where I need to be on the 10' it makes more sense to wait till the price is right and get the car I want... than to try and substitute it with a car that will never quite be the same.

Still going back and forth between sterling with silver which kind of has an eleanor feel... or red with white. The sterling seems a little to restrained in pics and the red and white seems like it may be a little too loud down the road...

Users who are viewing this thread