10.79 - 2.9 whipple cobra

mkb116

Established Member
Went to the track today. Second time out with this setup but I'm running about 7 more pounds of boost than the last outing.

Last time, the 2.9 crusher was at 18 lbs (dyno'd 665 wheel) 11.000 at 133 with a 1.85 sixty foot. 102 mph 1/8 mile speed. (Gain of 31 mph)

Today, 2.9 crusher at 25 lbs (estimating 750ish wheel) I never made a full clean pass but my best overall, and very first pass of the day, as well as my first 10 second pass, was 10.79 at 128 letting out a bit early in 4th (didn't have the tech for better than 11.50's, looking back I should have just stuck with it) with a 1.79 sixty foot. 1/8 mile mph was 108.

Video of 10.79 pass
http://youtu.be/FeliqrYimLM

Inside of car videos
It shows three passes, first pass in the video was my last pass of the day and is the only one in the video I went past third gear in (11.5 @135, 1.93 60 ft) as I was trying to avoid getting tossed out and practicing my launch.
http://youtu.be/MRWSR1TYzB0

A 1.7X is the best 60 foot I have managed. I've tried dumping it between 3500 and 4200, slipping it between 3500 and 4500. Nothing is working. It either bogs or blows the tires off.

Here's my setup.
Built solid axle.
15x10 drag lite's with 295/55/r15 Mickey Thompson et street radials at 15 lbs.
4.10's, rear end shop screwed up and was supposed to do 3.73's
Lakewood 50/50's shocks
Megabite Jr. lower control arms
Kenny brown adjustable uppers
Eibach drag springs with the air bag at 12 lbs

No sway bars front or rear (I know I should be running a rear one)
Lakewood 90/10's up front
Front coil overs wiith drag springs, can't remember the size.

I'm thinking the suspension needs to be setup by someone with know how. Everything is geared towards drag racing and I should be cutting waaaay better 60's. Granted I'm not very experienced.

When I get the extra money I want to do full team Z adjustable rear suspension with an anti roll bar and run stock rear springs with a coil cut.

I'm thinking I'm going to Switch to a 28" tall slick.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe more practice? It's amazing how much hp these cars are making and a lot of people running high 10's at best. With 700+rwhp, shouldn't these cars be running high 9's or bottom 10's?

I mean my measly old 91 gt full weight 347 stroker only made 325 rwhp and ran 7.3's at 94mph in the 1/8.

I'm just trying to figure this out.

MG0h3

Established Member
^^^ I know right. 650whp in a coyote car and youre 9s right? I mean those are auto times I suppose so maybe thats the big kicker. Pretty sure some 6 spd Coyotes are pulling 9s with that power level right?

mkb116

Established Member
I popped the stock motor a few years back. So it's rebuilt with all arp hardware, stock compression, Stock rods/crank, new Manley pistons with a teksid block.

Jumped on the scale at the track, 3280 with about a quarter tank of gas and my 6 point roll bar.

I know high 10's are embarrassing for the power it's making, but after running a best of 11.000 my first time out, I was happy enough with it knowing it probably would have been a 10.5X if I would have stayed in it.

I really need to figure out how to launch this car effectively.

The bad thing is last night something went out with reverse possibly the tranny or rear end we're not sure yet... The car will go into reverse but it won't back up. It's like it just hits a wall and locks up. So we can't even get it off the trailer bahaha. I never power shifted, or missed a gear. And you can see I'm not banging the gears hard at all.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Op, you shouldn't think you're times are embarrassing at all. Many other cobra owners making similar power and similar et's. I'm just wondering if times would be better with a auto in these cars. Your cobra is pretty damn light too.

MG0h3

Established Member
damn man that sucks!!

Pop the driveshaft back at the pinion. Thatll tell you where the problem lies.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Try pushing car off trailer in neutral, or if you can pull the driveshaft off completely. If she moves you got a trans issue..

Best of luck

Sounds like a awesome car btw!

ClubVenom1

On My Way To 8's
Established Member
I would put 28" ET streets bias plys on instead of the radials. With your steep gear and suspension you will hook better with a 28" bias ply drag tire. Play with the tire pressures too along with the rpm launches and make sure you get good amount of heat in the tire at the burnout box.

mkb116

Established Member
We fixed the car today, ended up being a brake issue! Whew!

Yes I definitely want some bias ply ET streets, I think that will help tremendously.

Car is pretty light, I was happy with the weight. That's with a corbeau driver seat, stock passenger seat, and full backseat. No amp rack, spare tire, or trunk lining/ carpet.

I think I'm gonna order those 28" slicks, get a fire jacket, and see what I can do next time.

stangfreak

Established Member
Maybe more practice? It's amazing how much hp these cars are making and a lot of people running high 10's at best. With 700+rwhp, shouldn't these cars be running high 9's or bottom 10's?

I mean my measly old 91 gt full weight 347 stroker only made 325 rwhp and ran 7.3's at 94mph in the 1/8.

I'm just trying to figure this out.

These cars are not easy to drive at the track. My buddy dom, owner of the old svtsnake, was one of the first 03 cobras that freddy brown installed the 4r70w auto in. 2.3 whipple, 17lbs and I forgot how much it made with the auto. It wasn't much. car ran a 10.75 at 128mph in a vert, full weight, over 4,000lb race weight on svt replica chrome wheels on drag radials. AUTOMAGIC.

stangfreak

Established Member
venomous03cobra, john, in a full weight cobra with his power tools in the back, stock suspension, ran a 10.8x at 12Xmph with a ported eaton making 516rwhp. It was the old triangle apten ported eaton. key is, when john drove the car, it sounded like it had an automatic bc of how fast he shifted. you can hear how fast he shifts the car. sounds like an auto. we shot this video way before 2007 but was uploaded at that time.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/venomous03cobra-on-the-streets-of-nysvtsnakec_94300.htm

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ I know right. 650whp in a coyote car and youre 9s right? I mean those are auto times I suppose so maybe thats the big kicker. Pretty sure some 6 spd Coyotes are pulling 9s with that power level right?
it took about 740whp 650wtq out of my mt82 Coyote to get 9.8 at 142.

OP needs a 28" slick and a WOT box to make the car consistant.

mkb116

Established Member
Just ordered 28" bias ply slicks, a fire jacket, and a n2mb WOT box/ 2 step. Let's see how close to 9.99's I can get.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
Everything about your car/experience sounds just like me. Very similar mods/power and sounds like similar driver mod(not the best lol). When I went to the track last spring with mods in sig minus the front suspension/headers I made 720whp and went 10.90's. Went a month or so later with no changes and went 10.60's. Another month later still no changes and went 10.47. All similar mph, just practice launching and shifting. Your car had a bit more in it as it was. With the slicks go there and get some technique down but dont expect 9's first try. I'm switching out my 275 radial pro's for a set of 28" et drags and with the suspension/headers hoping to get it down to 10.2's or faster.

I have a n2mb and used it for 3 years with no issues. This past summer I used it a couple times and each time it backfired and blew off my boost line for my fuel regulator. I'm not sure if I have any intentions of using it again.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
OK a few things.

1. Get your car aligned dear god the steering wheel so way off and that doesn't help
2. Who tuned the car and who base lined the suspension?
3. You need to get the suspension setup properly.
4. Seat time, seat time, and more seat time. That car with 25psi and that suspension setup should be in the 9's

Last edited:

mkb116

Established Member
The car is aligned but I had previously had wheel reclocked and I need to have it switched back.

Car is tuned by a buddy of mine that tunes at whipple

I do need the suspension tuned but I plan on swapping it al out for team Z and an anti roll bar. So after seeing how these 28" slicks do, I'll decide how soon I need to order the new suspension and get it in.

I definitely need seat time, but I'm good with that because I have been building this car for 5 years, it's great to finally take it out and run it. I definitely have the bug.

Last edited:

mkb116

Established Member
Shut up frank!!

That would be his voice at the end of the video.

Users who are viewing this thread