1 week after LASIK – story and results

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Before the surgery I had really bad eyes, I asked what my vision was without my glasses in the 20/20 scale (just for comparison reasons). He said that the scale really doesn’t go that high, I could barely count fingers, but if he had to put it on the scale it would be about 20/30,000! If it wasn’t for modern glass technology I would be wearing coke bottles for glasses. You know the “E” at the top of the vision test chart, I couldn’t see that. Not only did I have bad vision, I also had a REALY bad astigmatism (don’t remember the numbers).

On Jan 4th (sun) I flew in from Iraq, on Monday I had the pre-op exam, and Tuesday I had the surgery. The surgery wasn’t bad and putting my SVTP e-persona aside, I have a really low pain tolerance (read: I pass out with little pain). They gave me a valium an hour before the surgery and numbing drops before surgery as well, so that probably helped. You do smell the burning flesh (eyeball) when the laser is working its magic but that is no big deal. The actual procedure only took 10 minutes if that. Once they cut the flap the laser took 24 seconds for my left eye and 34 seconds for my right. Once that is done they put the flap back in place, remove the thing holding your eye and you are done.

Post surgery discomfort – you know when you get shampoo in your eyes and your eyes don’t want to open and the slight stinging? That is exactly what it feels like the rest of the day after surgery. They gave me a sleeping pill and recommended that I try and get some sleep. Luckily I just flew in from Iraq and jet lag was hitting me pretty hard, plus the sleeping pill = 8 hours of sleep. I woke up at 9pm, had dinner, and went to bed again for 8 hours.

The following day I had to go in for my post-op exam and I already had 20/30 vision in my left eye (my good and dominant eye) and 20/80 in my right eye (we knew this lazy bastard one was going to be a problem). But so far so good. For the first week I had to do eye drops 4 times a day and wear goggles (think swimming goggles) when I sleep. The day after surgery wasn’t that bad, mild irritation, some light sensitivity, and you can’t drive at night due to the lights blurring.

One week later (today) I have 20/20 vision in my left eye and 20/60 in my right which also still has some swelling. My right eye should get progressively better but my right eye may need the surgery done again, luckily I have a lot of corneal tissue.

I can see great but things are still slightly blurry due to my right eye. Except for the first day I have been driving both day and night without issues.

I know people will ask, the final bill was $3,300 and if they have to do a second surgery on the right, it will be free.
Located in Arlington (DFW), TX, this is where I went: Lasik Surgery Dallas, Lasik Eye Surgery, Dallas Lasik Eye Surgeon

Mike :coolman:

THE_STIG

Established Member
I have been thinking of doing this someday. I just want all the kinks to get worked out before I do. Glad to hear it went well for you.

Sonic04

Established Member
Best money I ever spent. I had it about 5 years ago and wish I had done it sooner. The next day, I had 20/20 left and 20/15 right. Still hasn't changed either.

98slowbra

Established Member
I was thinking about doing this, but I think here in Denver it is like $3k a eye. Plus I really do not know if I should get it done, I am a type 1 diabetic with a insulin pump so the eyes can go bye bye fast if you do not control your sugar. My prescript on my eyes change about once every 5 years. My vision is not bad at all so I am really up in the air about this since I am a diabetic.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I was thinking about doing this, but I think here in Denver it is like $3k a eye. Plus I really do not know if I should get it done, I am a type 1 diabetic with a insulin pump so the eyes can go bye bye fast if you do not control your sugar. My prescript on my eyes change about once every 5 years. My vision is not bad at all so I am really up in the air about this since I am a diabetic.

Well that sucks :(

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Do you get headaches because of the difference between each eye? I've had glasses for about .....17yrs now and am starting to look heavily into this. Great write up though, thanks!

Phil'scobra

Established Member
Had my done about 1yr 1/2 ago, My wife had hers done after mine turned out so well, Her eyes were like the op. Could not see the big E on the cart. Today she is 20/30 in both eyes. She love's getting up in the morning and not having to look for her glasses to see the time.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Do you get headaches because of the difference between each eye? I've had glasses for about .....17yrs now and am starting to look heavily into this. Great write up though, thanks!

Nope, not yet, and i have been doing a lot of work on my car so I would think the strain on my eyes (my garage doesnt have very good lighting :rollseyes) would bring on the headaches.

Now you will really be able to SEE those hooters bouncing in your sig !!

Wish i could see them in person :rockon:

Had my done about 1yr 1/2 ago, My wife had hers done after mine turned out so well, Her eyes were like the op. Could not see the big E on the cart. Today she is 20/30 in both eyes. She love's getting up in the morning and not having to look for her glasses to see the time.

The day after the surger i was walking around my bedroom looking for my glasses... :nonono:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
im glad i have 20/20 vision from the factory (lol). I watched the procedure for Lasik one some channel, **** that.

my boss had it done, said he could see things and details he never saw before, like experiencing the world from a new perspective.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Congrats man, it's such a great feeling to have the freedom of seeing without glasses isn't it?! I had mine done this past summer and it is by far the best money I've ever spent! I had terrible vision also (I could only read the line right below the E LOL) and due to my terrible astigmatism contacts unfortunately weren't much of an option. Every year we'd try new contacts that were supposed to help with astigmatism, but after trying literally dozens of different brands I got fed up and had the surgery. It was a little over $1500 per eye and the prescription eye drops were expensive as hell, but worth every penny! The only pain I had was he didn't numb my left eye enough and I felt a lot more pressure and discomfort as he cut the flap on my left eye, the right eye I barely even felt the pressure at all. The day after I had 20/30 in my left and 20/40 in the right. Now about 7 months later I have 20/15 in the left and 20/20 in the right eye. Not many side effects other then occasional dryness (I had to have the plugs put in a few months ago as I had constant dry eyes after the surgey) and some halo's/rays at night from lights. I started laughing when you mentioned the glasses, the first 3 days after the sugery I panicked when I woke up and reached for my glasses and couldn't find them on my nightstand!

jf4boogie

Established Member
I'd REALLY like to get this done. My vision is horrible as well, and without my contacts or glasses I'm literally helpless. For some reason I'm just terrified that something will go wrong, and it would be just my luck that something bad would happen.

I dunno though, I'll keep considering it and continue to be aggravated with my contacts I guess...ugghhhh

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I too have horrible vision, and starting wearing contacts about 3 years ago. I would really like to get Lasik, but still concerned about getting it done, I saw Lasik on How its Made and wow! It looks very uncomfortable. I would to have perfect vision though, thats something i've never had, i've worn glasses since I was in 5th grade.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
My story was about the same, but my overall vision was quite as bad as yours (OP). I did have very bad astigmatism though. -5.0 in my left eye and -4.0 in my right. I had the surgery 2 years ago and it went just like yours, valium, numbing drops, and about 10 minutes worth of surgery. I also had a halo effect at night afterwards, but it went away after a while. I have to go back to get the custom mapping done though. They just did a standard procedure since my astigmatism was so bad, and decided a custom mapping wouldn't work for the first treatment. It has been a pure joy going without glasses or contacts for the last 2 years though.

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
i also has this done about 6 months ago. wow. what a difference. its the little things that you take for granted when you have to wear glasses. like being able to see the clock when you get up in the morning. i also has bad eyes since i was 5. wore glasses when i was younger and had contacts all throughout highschool. those suck the most. they would always dry out on me at the end of the day or even sooner. if you have a chance to get Lasic done jump on it.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Glad to hear you had success with the procedure. I have a mild prescription sunglasses but don't need anything to read or watch tv but if they got worse i'd definitely look into getting Lasik done.

Users who are viewing this thread