1/8th Mile: Cheapest and easiest way to break 6's, sound too easy?

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
I notice theres not a lot of 1/8th mile talk, for good reason. Unfortunately, the hype around my area is street racing/grudge racing and its all 1/8th mile (and that's the closest track to me without driving over 2 hours. I've never even got to run on a 1/4 mile strip come to think of it.. Also, I know theres several build threads, and whats my number newb threads, but I'm wanting to know focusing in on the 1/8 mile, what is going to be the most efficient way to get into the 6s? Even the Mid 6s? Not looking to spend ridiculous money on 1/10ths? i.e. a $800 drive shaft, or $500 TB and $1500 exhaust.. I'm thinking simple..

I've got a 2011 Mustang Gt Premium A6 transmission, and the weight is around 35-3600 it varies, (without me). Its got AMR Rims 19x10s in the rear and 19x8.5s in the front, GT500 axlebacks, and a AMR Bama 93R tune. Currently my best is 7.99s with a 1.99 60 ft. (That's on the Michellin PSS's 275x40x19). I've never ran another wheel or tire on the car, and its got the stock 3.15 gears in it as far as I know.

So with all the grudge racers, it seems like the few that's on top is getting into the 6s, and other than that its race cars dressed to look like street cars..

Would it be too much to run 6s in my case with an actual dyno tuned 150 shot put down on top of some 275/60/15 MT streets? The car is lowered 1.5 I believe, could I still fit those? I think my current overall diameter is 27.7". I'm in the process of installing a nitrous kit now, but it will be a slow process as this is my first install. Also Have adjustable shocks all the way around. What are you guys cutting thru the 1/8th mile?

I'm thinking in my head, that Im going to upset myself and see maybe 7.50s with the 100 shot, especially on street tires. Will I end up needing stall, full exhaust, tune, nitrous, gears, and all the extra?

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
You should be 7.80 ish with just a sticky tire.
Generally I think for every 50 hp shot is .30 second.
So if your 7.80 and you want 6.90. I would think 150 shot will do it.

9secWS6

Established Member
I run mid-high 6's with mods in sig. with a 150hp shot on 305/35/19 MT drag radials. Norm is 6.6x-6.7x with the occasional 6.5x(traction dependent). Nitrous and tires should put you in the 6's for sure.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
You should be 7.80 ish with just a sticky tire.
Generally I think for every 50 hp shot is .30 second.
So if your 7.80 and you want 6.90. I would think 150 shot will do it.

I was sortve thinking the same exact way, but it just seems too good to be true.. We'll find out I guess lol, I have a zex kit, and it was the universal efi kit, not the specific kits, its a wet nozzle kit, so I'm not sure if it will be as effective or not, but I'm hoping so.

I run mid-high 6's with mods in sig. with a 150hp shot on 305/35/19 MT drag radials. Norm is 6.6x-6.7x with the occasional 6.5x(traction dependent). Nitrous and tires should put you in the 6's for sure.

Your Sir have some amazing times. My eyes crossed. I need your setup. Im guessing the BBR tune is better? I seen the bama nitrous tune only goes up to 100 shot.. Do they tune up to 150 shots or did you have to get it dyno'd? I think I need to find an o/r x pipe.. and I heard the BOSS intake manifolds didn't really give any gains for the money? Like 10hp way up top where you wouldn't use it? Not true? Do you use a window switch and if so, when are you setting the on and off at?

Just noticed your 60ft time, how the hell did you pull that? Are you leaving spraying, and how? I'm impressed.

Last edited:

9secWS6

Established Member
I was sortve thinking the same exact way, but it just seems too good to be true.. We'll find out I guess lol, I have a zex kit, and it was the universal efi kit, not the specific kits, its a wet nozzle kit, so I'm not sure if it will be as effective or not, but I'm hoping so.

Your Sir have some amazing times. My eyes crossed. I need your setup. Im guessing the BBR tune is better? I seen the bama nitrous tune only goes up to 100 shot.. Do they tune up to 150 shots or did you have to get it dyno'd? I think I need to find an o/r x pipe.. and I heard the BOSS intake manifolds didn't really give any gains for the money? Like 10hp way up top where you wouldn't use it? Not true? Do you use a window switch and if so, when are you setting the on and off at?

Just noticed your 60ft time, how the hell did you pull that? Are you leaving spraying, and how? I'm impressed.
Thanks!
BBR tunes are worlds better than the BAMA tunes. I ran the BAMA tunes for a while and while it was an improvement it is nothing like a "custom" tune. I have the tunes for a 150hp shot. I do not run a window switch, some like them I don't(personal preference). I do spray the car from home. The nitrous is activated by a TPS switch and its foot to the matt and hope it hooks! The track has to be prepped good for me to run those numbers on the 19's. My best time(1.46 60') was at a 275 race where the track was prepped so it doesn't do that every pass!
BOSS IM..did it help, I honestly don't know. I made several changes at the same time. I figured as long as it didn't hurt it worth it for the looks.IMO
BTW- You will notice a lot of the faster nitrous cars are running the NX plate kit/BBR tunes.

Last edited:

90coupe5oh

Established Member
I went 6.80's with my MT-82 car with just nitrous and slicks basically. Only other mods were tune, JLT CAI (don't bother), and O/R X-pipe. 6's are very easy with these cars and even easier with a 6r80. What tracks do you run at?

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
You just need a good slicks and skinny setup. and some weight reduction.

My car is a 2012 mustang premium full weight car with GT500 mufflers, H-pipe, Driveshaft, and E85. it has been 7.3 in the 1/8th

0268677F-0E15-4AC3-A0D0-163C81BC3965_zpsclkltgof.jpg

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Thanks!
BBR tunes are worlds better than the BAMA tunes. I ran the BAMA tunes for a while and while it was an improvement it is nothing like a "custom" tune. I have the tunes for a 150hp shot. I do not run a window switch, some like them I don't(personal preference). I do spray the car from home. The nitrous is activated by a TPS switch and its foot to the matt and hope it hooks! The track has to be prepped good for me to run those numbers on the 19's. My best time(1.46 60') was at a 275 race where the track was prepped so it doesn't do that every pass!
BOSS IM..did it help, I honestly don't know. I made several changes at the same time. I figured as long as it didn't hurt it worth it for the looks.IMO
BTW- You will notice a lot of the faster nitrous cars are running the NX plate kit/BBR tunes.

Yeah, I'm seeing that. I'm hoping the zex kit will be fine, I could just bi-pass the window switch, I'm assuming that how your leaving so hard because your spraying so low in the rpm, I was thinking of setting at 3000k-6500k .. idk. Im' running at douglas motor park, its in douglas ga, or Nichols ga, idk. Its just a small middle of no where 1/8 mile. Some nights it hooks, some is eh' .. But right now I'm having to feather the gas down and gradually get it floored just on street tires to hook, cutting 2.1 60fts on avg. If I could just naile it out the hole, I'd be doing a lot better I imagine.

You just need a good slicks and skinny setup. and some weight reduction.

My car is a 2012 mustang premium full weight car with GT500 mufflers, H-pipe, Driveshaft, and E85. it has been 7.3 in the 1/8th

0268677F-0E15-4AC3-A0D0-163C81BC3965_zpsclkltgof.jpg

I'm assuming your a manual with sticky tires lol. That's my problem now, I'm being bullied by a 6 speed with stickys, he can just rev it up 3500-4000 and just dump it .. he cuts 7.60s to my 7.90s, all because hes .3 faster on the 60 ft.

NTXRockr

Established Member
Nitrous will neutralize the stick cars, especially a 6r80 on a 150 shot. I've cut 1.55 on intake, tune, boss, mt et streets, and suspension on the 150 shot off a button (no window switch) as that's the key to quicker launches on a stock converter...window switch only netted me 1.7 or so. Overall I cut similar to 9secWS6 with 6.6-6.7 times and plenty of back half whenever I want to run quarter mile.

If you want the best bang for buck, tune the kit on a dyno and buy the 275/60-15 (or even 275/50s would help on the launch being 26" tall). After that, I'd look into suspension - namely adjustable lower control arms and relocation brackets. If your local track prep isn't that great, suspension will help alleviate some of that and can adjust for your lowering springs, etc. I could've hooked on dirt roads by putting the lca's on the bottom hole of the relo brackets, they produce that much downforce and grip.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
So what are you guys running on the 100 shot? Does the BBR tune work with the sct handheld I got with the bama/airaid combo? Do they data log and resend to install for the bigger shots?

Everyone around here is F body fans and underestimate the new 5.0's, but I had a 7.40 Camaro show me up sunday. So sounds like to start with I need to finish installing the kit, and get the tune. Next I need to com up with rear wheels and a set of radials...

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Yes BBR does no2 tunes, datalog tune revisions also Via E mail.

So what are you guys running on the 100 shot? Does the BBR tune work with the sct handheld I got with the bama/airaid combo? Do they data log and resend to install for the bigger shots?

Everyone around here is F body fans and underestimate the new 5.0's, but I had a 7.40 Camaro show me up sunday. So sounds like to start with I need to finish installing the kit, and get the tune. Next I need to com up with rear wheels and a set of radials...

Last edited:

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Yes BBR does no2 tunes, datalog tune revisions also Via E mail. I've been 6.97 @ 100mph with 1.56 / 60 ft in the 1/8th on a 125 shot.

Last edited:

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Dyno tuning is always the best option regardless of who's tune you use. But my experience is that they can get the tune pretty close and if you have a laptop and SCT hand held tuner you can data log and they dial it in from there.

Will a dyno tune make a huge difference with the n20 versus the BBR included tune?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
OP.

Thanks for your interest. Like I have stated before, we take nitrous very serious here and love to tune for it. Any system will work but we perfer the quality that Nitrous Express offers. On their fogger or plate systems... you cannot go wrong. Wet or Dry... you will have great experiences. I personally went a .83 @ 126 on a dry kit we offer using NX products. (REAPER H/K) We have customers running from low to high 10s all day long on NX systems using our tunes. With only basic bolt ons too. CAI, ORX, suspension, and tire.

With tuning, the tuners AM sells is a SCT SF3 handheld device with their logo on it. Nothing else. We would have you do a few different test with your device and a laptop using the SCT Livelink Gen II program along with a list of PIDs I would send you. If you have any questions, please free to call me.

Thanks

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
All of this has me feeling extremely good about my setup especially when I install my converter.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
6.95 @ 100.81 mph 1/8th with nx coyote plate kit and yes stock auto.

That would be perfect for me, Maybe a 125 shot, I definitely gotta get the tires, are you running a window switch? I'm noticing a lot of guys aren't, and I've always heard you should? Idk, I'm new to nitrous.

OP.

Thanks for your interest. Like I have stated before, we take nitrous very serious here and love to tune for it. Any system will work but we perfer the quality that Nitrous Express offers. On their fogger or plate systems... you cannot go wrong. Wet or Dry... you will have great experiences. I personally went a .83 @ 126 on a dry kit we offer using NX products. (REAPER H/K) We have customers running from low to high 10s all day long on NX systems using our tunes. With only basic bolt ons too. CAI, ORX, suspension, and tire.

With tuning, the tuners AM sells is a SCT SF3 handheld device with their logo on it. Nothing else. We would have you do a few different test with your device and a laptop using the SCT Livelink Gen II program along with a list of PIDs I would send you. If you have any questions, please free to call me.

Thanks

Well I'll definitely have to get with you on the tune, I bought the car and the guy told me it was a bama tune, and it does have 3 tunes, and the cai, and has American muscle rims. I assumed, but the handheld I have does not have American muscle stamped on it anywhere?? Maybe he bought the handheld and had American muscle send the tune?

I wished I had the Plate kit, but Im at a stall now trying to figure out how I can get up 1000 bucks for just rear rims and tires.. I already have the zex kit because I was going to use it on a foxbody I used to have and never used it, so I bought the fuel line adapter and resistor and am going to hook it up to the coyote. I may only have 125 jets I'll have to check..

All of this has me feeling extremely good about my setup especially when I install my converter.

Tell me about it, if you can cut 1.4s leaving off idle with spray, f a converter. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread