1/4 Scale Aluminator and Fatknob

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Trying to track down an old school Fatknob (shift knob).

Last edited:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Found an engine. Looking for Fatknob

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Do you mean one of these shift knobs? I don't have it any longer though.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/pro-5-0-shifter-handle-w-white-phat-knob.1168636/

I wish I didn't sell mine to be honest. I bought 2 custom weighted 1.1 lb shift knobs for my WRX that were engraved. I totaled my WRX last June and just recently bought an 86 GT that has a Hurst 5 speed logo knob on it now. If I still had the phat knob I would place it on my 86.

Last edited:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Do you mean one of these shift knobs? I don't have it any longer though.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/pro-5-0-shifter-handle-w-white-phat-knob.1168636/

I wish I didn't sell mine to be honest. I bought 2 custom weighted 1.1 lb shift knobs for my WRX that were engraved. I totaled my WRX last June and just recently bought an 86 GT that has a Hurst 5 speed logo knob on it now. If I still had the phat knob I would place it on my 86.

That looks really similar. Fat Knobs are 2.25”and I absolutely love the feel when shifting. I did find a company to custom make them, but they don’t cut threads directly (instead they want you into use an insert, which sucks). I’m going to solidify the insert in mine since I can’t find a FatKnob

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
That looks really similar. Fat Knobs are 2.25”and I absolutely love the feel when shifting. I did find a company to custom make them, but they don’t cut threads directly (instead they want you into use an insert, which sucks). I’m going to solidify the insert in mine since I can’t find a FatKnob

That makes sense. Mine was bare on the inside and needed an insert, but threaded in the Pro 5.0 handle. I don't know what happened, but you used to be able to type in phat knobs in Google and the website that made/sold them popped up a few links down. Now I can't find it. The knob I showed you in the link is huge compared to a Hurst knob or an OEM knob.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yeah fatknob was the only company i could ever find who cut the threads directly into the billiard ball material, which made for a really solid and secure shifter knob that wasn't ever going anywhere. also they really were fat knobs.

had to be careful not to overtighten it though, and the instructions were specific about that as i recall. they also recommended not removing and reinstalling it too much. i bought a black one, and then a white one, but wish i had bought another black one instead.

they were made by a small (perhaps even like a one-man) company named rasmussen engineering located in groton, massachusetts. but as i recall he went out of business maybe around 2007 or so

SLOWBRA

Established Member
yeah fatknob was the only company i could ever find who cut the threads directly into the billiard ball material, which made for a really solid and secure shifter knob that wasn't ever going anywhere. also they really were fat knobs.

had to be careful not to overtighten it though, and the instructions were specific about that as i recall. they also recommended not removing and reinstalling it too much. i bought a black one, and then a white one, but wish i had bought another black one instead.

they were made by a small (perhaps even like a one-man) company named rasmussen engineering located in groton, massachusetts. but as i recall he went out of business maybe around 2007 or so

Yup, that’s the company that made them. I have a special edition in mine that’s the same color as the 03/04 gauges. Wish I had bought more :(

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member

That makes sense why I can't find the website anymore.

I used all Anarchy Motive knobs on my WRX. I'm pretty sure it's a one-man operation as well. I've contacted him several times and he uses a lathe to make all the knobs since they weigh 1.1lbs and you can ask him for any finish you want, gloss, matte, mystichrome if he has it, and any engraving you want. The knobs themselves aren't that big, but i'm sure you could ask him to use a bigger piece to use the lathe on and it would probably weigh more as well which would be great to make it easier for getting it into gear.

Products

In case you want to check it out. If you email Derek he'll pretty much make any color combo or engraving you want.

Users who are viewing this thread