1 3/4" vs 1 7/8" headers?

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
what brand do u recomend?i hear good things bout the kooks but they are pricey for a street car.beefcake racing got any used?i will be at bowling green.

poof100

Established Member
When i bought my ARH longtubes i asked a few tuners about the differences between 13/4 and 1 7/8 and one (JDM) swore to me me that everytime you have have a car under 800 rwhp they were seeing the 1 3/4 perform better as the bigger tubes were giving some power down low.

I know some have said the opposite but thats what they told me..

I honestly think either sizes are good and anybody should be happy with these.

I was certainly happy with my ARH 1 3/4 but switched to the Kooks superstreet to comply more easily with the new regulations in effect in my area.

^^ This right here. 1 7/8 headers are too big for 90% of the 5.0s out there. This is still only a 302 CI motor, 1 3/4 are plenty big until you start getting into the 1000rwhp area. Was hoping to see Kooks make their superstreet headers in 1 3/4.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
what brand do u recomend?i hear good things bout the kooks but they are pricey for a street car.beefcake racing got any used?i will be at bowling green.

any of the good brands will be fine of the 3,

if you like the kooks, I can set you up with them

t01lightning

Established Member
I do not think it is a size question of the motor but rather the rpm's they can turn. Throw a conra jet intake or boss and the 1 3/4 will suffer. 8plus liter vipers only use 1 3/4 but they also do not rev high so the argument can be made both ways. From what I have seen in older 5.0's who strictly wanted n/a fast 1/4 times with big solid roller high reving cams were 1 7/8 to 2" headers and most were 500-650 horsepower 7500 rpm motors.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Its not just RPM although that plays a part, its how much the header can flow vs what the motor puts out in flow. I'm not sure on the head flow of the Viper, but ours flow great numbers stock, which is what will more or less play a bigger part in gains from a 1 3/4" or 1 7/8". The higher the RPM, the more they flow, but only if the head allows it.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Last edited:

Jedisalami

Established Member
why anyone tries to install these without dropping the K is beyond me. Me and my buddy dropped my K and had mine done in 4 hours with one of those hours being mainly used on one bolt

KBLEO

Established Member
So you gained 9hp and 9ft/lbs TQ overall going from OR-X to LT's but the midrange looks markedly improved.

The LT headers at 3k have almost 50 rwtq more and 20+ rwhp and you definitely feel that when driving the car around. The headers I feel were worth installing. Prices on installation varied greatly from $1,150 to $500. I sat and watched the install and with the tech working at a moderate pace it took just under 5 hours.

mechanicboy

Established Member
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...56284054.1073741827.1395045007&type=3&theater

My final results stock exhaust manifold with UPR ORX pipe vs BBK 1 3/4" LT headers with ORX pipe. Pretty nice gain all the way through.

Nice, but I expected a little more. Same tune both times?

I have 1 7/8" on my 5.0 F-150. At first it felt like I lost power. After I drove it a few days it was really coming alive and just wanted to rev to the moon! The power increase from 3500+ was very noticeable. I installed the S/C right after that so I feel I never say all the gains, even without a return, from the longtubes.

I was told that those that plan to be FI should get the larger headers so I did. That and the 1 7/8" I bought used for pretty damn cheap as part of a package deal.

KBLEO

Established Member
I feel the headers were a good mod. The car will benefit from future planned modifications with the addition of the headers. I couldn't believe what some shops were trying to get for the install though. It really opened my eyes and let me know who to avoid in Houston.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
The LT headers at 3k have almost 50 rwtq more and 20+ rwhp and you definitely feel that when driving the car around. The headers I feel were worth installing. Prices on installation varied greatly from $1,150 to $500. I sat and watched the install and with the tech working at a moderate pace it took just under 5 hours.

What I appreciate most about the post is the comparison between an off-road pipe vs headers. I would do the install myself.

I really appreciate your post. Thanks.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I have 1 3/4" kooks installed by JPC. I was told by Tommy there was no need to go 1 7/8 unless I was attempting to make big numbers north of 1,000 hp. He told me all the 1 3/4 header they installed flow just fine. One 5.0 they had made nearly 995hp on 1 3/4. Food for thought.

Last edited:

KBLEO

Established Member
What I appreciate most about the post is the comparison between an off-road pipe vs headers. I would do the install myself.

I really appreciate your post. Thanks.

No problem. :beer: I figure we are all in this together as enthusiasts, and it's nice to get unbiased information so we can make choices for ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread