1 3/4" vs 1 7/8" headers?

KBLEO

Established Member
Wondering what gains people here have had between the 1 3/4" vs 1 7/8" long tube headers on naturally aspirated 5.0 motors? Please discuss...

KBLEO

Established Member
I was wondering if there is much difference in horsepower/torque between the 2 sizes. I was kind of suprised that many 5.0's seem to run 1 7/8" long tubes, same size as I ran on my 7 liter Z06.

byeofcr

Established Member
Id think its neglible. When i ordered mine i was thinking of getting the smaller size but went bigger in case i go blown down the road.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
what bout the install on the long tubes?i hear its bad and i had one guy tell me he did it at home shop with four jack stands.

sean04

Established Member
what bout the install on the long tubes?i hear its bad and i had one guy tell me he did it at home shop with four jack stands.

Install difficulty depends on the longtube brand, but its fairly easy. Ive done quite a few sets on my back in the garage. Just drop the k and its all right there. I couldnt image doing it with the k on like some of these guys do. Its just too easy to drop it, I can have the k member on the ground within 40 minutes or so. Its even easier with the newer mustangs since it has an electric rack, so oil lines to deal with, just unplug it

hopony

Established Member

We did it without dropping the k member in about 6 hours. Drivers side wasn't bad. Passenger side took a little work to get into place and the front stud is fun being right behind the ac line. Cj pony parts has a nice video if you want to see what is involved.

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
I gained 40TQ @ 3500RPM and over 25 across the curve with 1-7/8"on motor. I would have gotten 3/4, but I will be putting a TVS on soon, so I was "prepping" the car for it.

RC

preciousroy

Established Member
I drove an '11 with full exhaust from longtubes back on stock tune. Obviously it was much faster than my stock '13, but the real shocker was the low/midrange difference. The car was a completely different animal driving around town, and it was a 3.31 rear to my 3.55's. Thats why im sold on longtubes.

jojobee

Established Member
When i bought my ARH longtubes i asked a few tuners about the differences between 13/4 and 1 7/8 and one (JDM) swore to me me that everytime you have have a car under 800 rwhp they were seeing the 1 3/4 perform better as the bigger tubes were giving some power down low.

I know some have said the opposite but thats what they told me..

I honestly think either sizes are good and anybody should be happy with these.

I was certainly happy with my ARH 1 3/4 but switched to the Kooks superstreet to comply more easily with the new regulations in effect in my area.

KBLEO

Established Member
Glad to see the replies. Think I am leaning towards the 1 7/8" long tube headers, never now when extra cash may fall into your lap and you accidentally buy a supercharger. :-D

byeofcr

Established Member
I didnt drop the kmember and it took me a longgggg time even with a lift but i never put headers in and in hindsight i could easily cut the time in half. Go 1 7/8 and dont look back sound alone was worth it and im catted

DNT H8

Established Member
Most of the large gains comes from the cat delete "they say". I really wish someone had numbers with just a LT install, no mid pipe or cat delete variable.

Users who are viewing this thread