'08 Shelby Follow along for a TT kit build

CPRsm

Hey guys. Been chatting back and forth with Sid for a bit and ponied up to be a sponsor here. Looks like you guys are going to be stuck with me for a whole year.

So here's the mule. I figured from what I have seen in the market for these cars, I would throw my hat in the ring. See if I can hang with the big boys. I will improve where I think the market lacks for these cars, and roll it into a quality kit. Hang around for a while, see if we can't make this kit smog legal in all 50. :dw:

Every know option on this car lol. But I had to save her from a Chebby dealership. I tried to leave, but she gave me the puppy dog eyes, and I ended up taking her home.
newshopcar.jpg

newshopcar2.jpg

newshopcar3.jpg

This is what she put down after I got her home. Looks to have a CAI, but not sure on a tune or not.

08shelbydynostock.jpg

collectorsandflanges.jpg

Whaaaa ? Yes headers. I don't know when it became standard to use cast iron manifolds, but this girls getting tubular headers. Never had a header crack yet, so no worries there. Sure it may eventually happen. But at 5 years and running so far, there aren't going to be many.(Guess that's good marketing to make people fear tubular headers to sell cast iron.) Now, that being said, hells yes cast iron works. It's been proven. But is there something better ? :coolman: I won't knock anyone for using cast iron. But to me, on the fab side of things, it's taking the easy way out.

CPRsm

billet62mm.jpg

Here will be the base of the kit for now. Maybe smaller. Depend on the log looks like, along with the back pressure readings and spool time.
Precision Billet 62mm Standard, 65mm turbines. THere will be other options as well, including smaller turbine for those who aren't looking for full tilt stupidity, and just street fun oriented more on spool. This base turbo has tons of options to pick from, as well as the ability to change the AR's as you grow, without buying a new turbos. All of this WITHOUT modding the kit. Just un bolt, and bolt back in.

As of right now the plan is to ditch the blower and intercooler. Mount the cooler OUTSIDE of the engine where it belongs, standard kit. Not for a huge $$$ upgrade, and not in the engine bay either.No more heat exchanger needed, no engine to heat soak the intercooler. An A/A may be possible as an option for those of you who want to road race this beast. No more fear of over power your water supply that way. Water works great. 14 times better than air, but it simply can't recover as fast as an A/A unit. I've also got some tricks up my sleeve to help that recovery time even more if I can fit it.

Please. Ask questions, give me input. I want to build the best kit possible while making sure I don't add/delete something that will make 50% of you guys not want the kit.

Obvious first question will be how much. I'm not 100% yet, but it will be comparable to what is out there right now. But hopefully have more value to the consumer than anything currently available.
So, questions ?

FordFanStan

Established Member
I am not familiar with your company or products, but sounds like you have a great attitude towards producing a product FOR the consumer. I don't have any info to add now, but I will follow along :) FFS

CPRsm

LOL, just read your thread on TTF a day or two ago and now its here. GL
:) Yeah had it about a month now. Wanted to get things lined out here first. Didn't want to step on any sponsor's toes before things were setup.
Finally had time to work on it. The wifes going to be gone with the kids for a little bit. Which means lots of play time at the shop. :beer:

brisk_tea

Established Member
alloy/silver for the win...

good luck, there are others like me still waiting on big mods until the best options are out there to spend the money on...

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
I am probably close to your target market. Am contemplating a TT setup as my 'power adder' upgrade later this year or next.

The first thing I'd say is look at Hellion's kit and determine what (besides the I/C setup) will differentiate you from them. They appear to be the market leader.

That being said, I've never been crazy about their under car mounted location for the turbos, bovs, etc. My application is street and road racing and the car will be lowered substantially so clearance is a prime consideration. There are a number of folks who will argue that you just can't get the snails into the engine compartment but I have seen custom installations that have.

I like your thinking and am looking forward to seeing more.

CPRsm

I agree I don't like the turbos there either. Again just seems to be the easy way out, because headers do take a long time to make. I haven't a bad thing to say about John at all. I've heard the guy is extremely down to earth, and never heard a word bad about his company. His stuff always fits, so it will be up hill for me for sure. But no inter cooler, no headers, poor merge, and ground clearance issues are in my favor right now. My down fall will be you have to move stuff around. But, that's pretty much standard for a front mount setup

Other than that the other things that will be hard for me to convince people of is the things that have been beaten in their head from previous years. And the myth that a turbo kit costs way more than blowers. More to come on these things to come. I've got a blower to tear off. :)

CPRsm

More unneeded stuff out of the way. Not sure if the fan will stay or not. Will have to see. But was surprised to see a Garrett 1000 horse A/W in there. Wasn't surprised to see everything wet in there because it was leaking already. :cuss:

uneeded2.jpg

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
What was leaking? We had a shelby at my dealership that had a coolant leak with only 7k miles on it.

CPRsm

The inter cooler core was leaking. They're hecho in mexico. I stopped using them all together. Most of the time they show up you can see were they welded the core on the water side to try to fix leaks. Even if it fixes it the weld lays over to inlet on the water passages. Probably splitting hairs, but don't like having that many bandages. I've been using American made cores and had much better luck with them so far. They look better and are the same price,too.

CPRsm

What would you guys rather see for the instructions ? Paper with pics or a CD ? I'm thinking CD would be nice so you can what how to install something without figuring it on your own. Not just "put this on" with a pic of it on the car. Would it be to much trouble to watch a CD if you have to do in the house and watch for a minute or two, than go back out to the garage (for those without laptops etc) ? I personally always wondered, thought it would be way easier. Maybe there is a reason no one has done it.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
What would you guys rather see for the instructions ? Paper with pics or a CD ? I'm thinking CD would be nice so you can what how to install something without figuring it on your own. Not just "put this on" with a pic of it on the car. Would it be to much trouble to watch a CD if you have to do in the house and watch for a minute or two, than go back out to the garage (for those without laptops etc) ? I personally always wondered, thought it would be way easier. Maybe there is a reason no one has done it.

Video ALL day... cant tell you how many products come with bunk ass instructions these days. If the visual calls for close quarters where you can't get a camera and some light, then I dont see why you couldnt throw a snapshot into the video. But it is always better to be able to see and hear someone explain it vice just seeing a black and white underexposed picture on paper. Just make sure you do it right though.... I mean actually setting aside some serious time to put the tools down for a second and explain it. Because I speak for myself when I say that when something like a turbo system comes out, the only thing holding me back from jumping on it is the fact that it is definitely more complicated than slapping on an aftermarket supercharger. If you could eliminate that, consider me first on the list :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread