07 z06 vs 01 cobra

ferfont1

Established Member
07 z06 = completley stock, 445whp / 425 wtq in 100+ weather at the dyno
01 cobra = built stroker 5.0, 2.1 KB, 550whp / not sure on the torque

40 roll and (2) 60 rolls. Cobra did not want to go from a dig.

z06 took all (3) races. All races were similar outcome, cobra would jump out maybe a fender but the Z would close the distance quick and continue to put cars on the cobra.

Vids to follow! :beer:

Does the weight difference really make that much of a difference? I'm not sure on what gearing the cobra had either, but i know you never want to race a vette from a roll with their top end favored gearing. :shrug: I would of wanted a dig run after all those roll races.

Second race, the Z didnt hear the 3rd honk so just played catch up

[youtube_browser]PdyzIfVRarY[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

02blownGT

Established Member
Need 100whp more and a good driver to pull a Z06.So by the numbers it looked like it should have been a drivers race but who knows,street vs dyno is a big difference.

ferfont1

Established Member
well, i know for sure the z06 is a rookie driver. This is his first sports car and standard drive car, he's had it about 2 weeks now. I figured it would have been alot closer........even thought the cobra would of taken it. So you're saying a cobra needs 650hp to the wheels to pull a stock c6 z06? :nonono:

Last edited:

red9450

Established Member
that should have been enough whp to make it a driver's race. Thinking the cobra driver could use a little more seat time.

revolutionIX

Established Member
I think what 02blownGT was trying to say, is that you would need 100+ hp over the Z06. Which in your case, you had (or whoever), which is why he then stated it should have been a drivers race from there.

Last edited:

ferfont1

Established Member
I think what 02blownGT was trying to say, is that you would need 100+ hp over the Z06. Which in your case, you had (or whoever), which is why he then stated it should have been a drivers race from there.

ah, i see....read it wrong. i really did think it was going to be closer. The funny thing is, the cobra guy is the seasoned driver and built the car. The z06 owner is a newb to cars in general........came from the big diesel truck crowd. i'm going to see if they can setup a dig race :thumbsup:

ferfont1

Established Member
vid uploaded. Each time the cobra went out of frame he lagged back about 2 cars. Second vid Z didnt hear the 3rd honk so he played catch up.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Cobra needs to shift faster. Good race, I thought the Cobra had it too. O well.

racebronco2

Established Member
The cobra might be a 550rwhp car in cool weather but in warm weather it's not. Was the 550rwhp recorded at a dyno day or during a tune? What was the temps like? For every 10* increase in temps you lose 1% of your hp. I have a 520rwhp cobra and open tracking the slightly modded (cai and tune) zo6's cannot full away from me and the stock ones point me by.

Last edited:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Just goes to show it is not alway about Hp/Torque...The Vette has just to much of a weight and aerodynamic advantage. Like most have just stated, you need an extra 100Hp over the Vette to make up for the weight. Nice run though. I think your Cobra runs strong! :beer:

Last edited:

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
I'm a mustang guy at heart, but my cammed C6Z (551rwhp) never stops pulling. Weight, gearing, natural aspiration, and aerodynamics favor the vette.

Fastfords

Established Member
I assume at 60 the Z was in second gear. The 40 roll was much better for the Z as I assume he was in first. 3rd gear is where the Z06's usually start to walk in a close race. Nice vids, your car runs good.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'm going to venture to say those dyno numbers aren't accurate, different dynos on different days, heat, elevation all factor in. If the cobra was making 100 whp more it should be pulling. Hard to tell from the rear mounted camera how much the z was walking away by, but one things for sure the z is the quicker car. It's nice you have an open stretch of road to run on like that, good times.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Nice video!!

You could really tell in the 3rd race how much the Cobra lost between gear changes. Powershifting the Cobra would have made for a much closer race!

Users who are viewing this thread