07 Shelby mandatory mods

fastferndog

Established Member
As the tittle states, I'm looking to make the 5.4 last a very long time, as it will be my daily very soon. I have read somewhere that the crank pulley should be the very first thing to get replaced due to the weight and the keyway braking off and causing self destruction. Is there anything else I should do while I'm there? Oil pump?, timing gear?

I want to be clear, that unfortunately it's no longer in the 07 chassis, it's in my second gen Cobra (94' ). So the Shelby still lives on in heart. Thank you everyone in advance

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Well...yes you want to change the crank pulley first to a 08 or newer crank pulley, the 5.4 is pretty damn tuff in stock for. If you are happy with 650 to 700whp you don't need to upgrade internals unless you want to.

08KR525

Established Member
I'd definitely add an oil separator to the passenger side to keep oil out of your s'charger and intercooler. Like previously posted change out that crank pulley and don't spin the motor above 6500 rpm.

mavisky

Established Member
-If you're changing the crank pulley out, you may as well get the 10% overdriven option from ATI or Innovators West.
-Then get at least a passenger side oil separator.
-Find a way to get off of the factory Goodyear tires as soon as possible if you haven't already.
-Ditch the silent stock axleback for the GT500KR mufflers if you never intend to get headers, go with the Ford Racing or Borla "Touring" mufflers if you think you will run headers.
-Find out if your car has had the clutch TSB performed or not.
-If it has the 2010+ style clutch then get yourself an intake, upper pulley, idler pulley, a new set of spark plugs, and a tune from your vendor of choice (Lethal or VMP would be much better options than American Muscle here)
-Invest in some lowering springs and good shocks (the GT500KR setup can be had for around $200 and comes with springs and shocks and gives you the ride height in my signature pic)
-Invest in some lower control arms if you're having wheel hop, an adjustable upper control arm helps too or Steeda makes one that's already a little shorter for cars that are lowered without having to deal with all of the "adjusting" to get the driveline angle close to where it should be

fastferndog

Established Member
Thanks everyone!! I hadn't even thought about the oil separator! I'm using a spec 2 clutch for now, I believe it has a 2.6" upper pulley? And a belt tensioner, along with a JLT carbon fiber intake, and some sort of tune. I forgot to mention that it now also has a return set up and an additional pump. I'll post some pictures. Car is about 90% done so it should be done by the end of the month. Thank you again, looks like I'm looking for a dampener and a oil catch can!

fastferndog

Established Member
th_37087501-5C97-4938-8D67-E83A113C4793.jpg

Last edited:

08KR525

Established Member
Damn, that's a tight fit in there. I wonder what the car weighs compared to a stock '07 GT500? Your gonna surprise a bunch of people with that creation.

fastferndog

Established Member
Damn, that's a tight fit in there. I wonder what the car weighs compared to a stock '07 GT500? Your gonna surprise a bunch of people with that creation.

Thank you! I have also thought about the weight.

I'm also upgrading to a 13/14 Heat exchanger!! That sucker is Giant!!!

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd add the 2013-14 oil pan ( M-6675-MSVT ) and upgrade to the MMR oil pump.

JLT dual catch cans and JLT 127mm CAI.

Blue belt from Van @ Revan Racing.

'08 stock crank pulley or ATI (stock or 10%).

Alternator Underdrive pulley from Billet Pro Shop for $45 http://www.billetproshop.com/product/alternator-pulley-underdrive-shelby-gt500/. Otherwise, you will be replacing the alternator. I would just go ahead and buy a performance alternator and put the Billet Pro Shop pulley on now.

Run Amsoil 10w40 and oil filter, not the Ford synthetic junk. There's a thread with oil sample results...some other oils do well too. With multiple cars with a lot of miles, I haven't had a reason to switch from Amsoil based on each oil sample test I send it.

Last edited:

fastferndog

Established Member
I'd add the 2013-14 oil pan ( M-6675-MSVT ) and upgrade to the MMR oil pump.

JLT dual catch cans and JLT 127mm CAI.

Blue belt from Van @ Revan Racing.

'08 stock crank pulley or ATI (stock or 10%).

Alternator Underdrive pulley from Billet Pro Shop for $45 http://www.billetproshop.com/product/alternator-pulley-underdrive-shelby-gt500/. Otherwise, you will be replacing the alternator. I would just go ahead and buy a performance alternator and put the Billet Pro Shop pulley on now.

Run Amsoil 10w40 and oil filter, not the Ford synthetic junk. There's a thread with oil sample results...some other oils do well too. With multiple cars with a lot of miles, I haven't had a reason to switch from Amsoil based on each oil sample test I send it.

Alternator pulley hu?? I really appreciate it!!!! I never even considered that at all!!!. I have 1 JLT catch can, I'll have to order another one, along with the alternator pulley. I have considered the MMR billet oil pump and well as the main timing drive gear. I also considered a road race oil pan while I was at it, since I've had oil starvation problems on my fox after installing the MM kit.

fastferndog

Established Member
Evasive, also thank you for recommending the Amsoil. The dampener is on my to do list, along with the oil separator. As for the overdriven crank...I'm not quite ready for it yet. This will be my daily driver for a while, so not until I get many many miles on it so I can get used to it, I'll probably shoot for stock unless someone would like to DONATE one, lol

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
I just had the dealership swap out my crank pulley and do a full coolant flush. My car has been sitting for most of its life so it was nice to have some piece of mind. I kinda wish I had gone with a heat exchanger but I bought some suspension bits and an upper, idler, Intake and tune. I'll pick up an oil separator in the next few weeks and grab the exchanger before he end of the summer. I too am dailying my car spring-fall so I wanted to tackle issues first. My clutch is fine for now. So I'm hoping it will hold out until next spring then an RXT will go in.

Users who are viewing this thread