07-09 vs 2010 handling/suspension

fastlif

Established Member
I really would like to know what Ford changed to make such a HUGE improvement in handling. It looks to me like no geometry was changed so what gives? Motor Trend says it it a huge improvement over last years KR etc. It seems like every magazine just loathes the first gen Shelby but now they just can't wait to fellate the great 2010.

Did Ford increase their advertising budget or is this something the aftermarket can recreate?

I really like my 09, to me it looks better inside and out and the handling is fine. I'm just wondering how good the 10 could be??

Leonard 95

Established Member
I am sure they maybe changed the spring rates and changed the dampning/rebound on the struts slightly. The only thing I would like to have in my 08 is the interior on the 2010's, still not sold on the exterior yet.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Ok, here's the real story.

The 2009/prior KR's and the FRPP GT500 handling 'pack' share all the same hard parts.

KR's got softer compound tires.

The Springs/bars on the 2010 are THE SAME as the "pack" and 09 KR. Shocks are *very* close to the same if not the same.

The only thing significantly 'different' on the '10 is the change to 19" wheels and 40HP. Thats it.

The car is way crisper feeling than the standard issue '07-9 GT500; but not light years beyond the KR or a car sporting the FRPP "pack".

Info came straight from two internal SVT engineers.

Wow factor comes from the package of a nicer interior, 40hp, exhaust snarl, and crisper handling. It "feels" and sounds better than the old car; but isn't light years ahead by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:

fastlif

Established Member
I guess I'm just crazy, I like the old interior better, the round HVAC vents in the center, the center stack just looks better in the old one. I like the dash plaque in between the round outlets. I do like the new door panels and seats.

I do like the rear fender bump though...looks more like the original.

I do think the magazines have a different attitude, maybe Ford did spend more on advertising or maybe since Ford isn't "government motors" now they approve.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The only thing I like about the new car is the gauge cluster. It is TONS easier to read.

Otherwise, the older body still wins styling wise. The new rear is just fuxored all around and there's no easy way to fix it.

Here's a side by side...

IMG_0872.jpg

6-Speed

Established Member
Ok, here's the real story.

The 2009/prior KR's and the FRPP GT500 handling 'pack' share all the same hard parts.

KR's got softer compound tires.

The Springs/bars on the 2010 are THE SAME as the "pack" and 09 KR. Shocks are *very* close to the same if not the same.

The only thing significantly 'different' on the '10 is the change to 19" wheels and 40HP. Thats it.

The car is way crisper feeling than the standard issue '07-9 GT500; but not light years beyond the KR or a car sporting the FRPP "pack".

Info came straight from two internal SVT engineers.

Wow factor comes from the package of a nicer interior, 40hp, exhaust snarl, and crisper handling. It "feels" and sounds better than the old car; but isn't light years ahead by any stretch of the imagination.
The KR rear springs don't lower the car as much as the handling pack does. KR rear is lowered less than 1" relative to the GT500; my rearend with the FR springs was lower by nearly 1.5". I suspect the rear springs are not the same. Now perhaps the 2010 GT500 springs are the same as the KR's.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I had a lengthy conversation with the SVT body engineer for the '500 and that's what he told me; so I'm just going off that.

My "finger test" with the KR and my std. '09 side by side says the KR sat 1-finger lower in the rear.

He had said the KR parts were the same as the FRPP which in turn was now on the '10...

I originally wanted the KR rear springs for my car and this is how I came across all this, I also asked several FRPP users for ride heights and the rears seem really close to what the KR is, so I'm not sure.

I've got a pair of '10 rear springs on order, so whenever I get them installed maybe we can compare to a KR and someone using the FRPP setup and know more.

Last edited:

Joshua484

Established Member
all the '10 parts could be put on an 07-09 if the owner wanted the best of both worlds.

However, the aftermarket can do it better.......

Dave07997S

Established Member
I know looks are subjective and I love the bodystyle of the 07-09 GT500s, but the 2010s look better in my eyes..I do know, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Dave

6-Speed

Established Member
I had a lengthy conversation with the SVT body engineer for the '500 and that's what he told me; so I'm just going off that.

My "finger test" with the KR and my std. '09 side by side says the KR sat 1-finger lower in the rear.

He had said the KR parts were the same as the FRPP which in turn was now on the '10...

I originally wanted the KR rear springs for my car and this is how I came across all this, I also asked several FRPP users for ride heights and the rears seem really close to what the KR is, so I'm not sure.

I've got a pair of '10 rear springs on order, so whenever I get them installed maybe we can compare to a KR and someone using the FRPP setup and know more.
IMO the 2010 still has that 4 x 4 look in the back. I have read that the front suspension on the 2010 GT500 is shared with the KR.

Here’s the measurement from the ground up to the rear wheel well before and after installing the FR rear springs. It dropped from 29-3/4” to 28-1/4”, a 1-1/2” drop.

fender_before1.jpg
fender_after.jpg

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I guess I'm just crazy, I like the old interior better, the round HVAC vents in the center, the center stack just looks better in the old one. I like the dash plaque in between the round outlets. I do like the new door panels and seats.

I do like the rear fender bump though...looks more like the original.

I do think the magazines have a different attitude, maybe Ford did spend more on advertising or maybe since Ford isn't "government motors" now they approve.

Ok here it is in a nut shell.

The 07-09 in the eyes of the press was terrible because they say it as a GT Mustang with a stupid fast motor in it but not the suspension and brakes to back it up.

Now comes the 08-09 KR, and that was to hard edge, loud and so on for them.

Then comes the 2010 and that was everything good about the KR but none of the bad and they love it and no more loud intrusive blower whine all the geeks hated so much LOL

My only complaint with my car is when I hit a bump, look out! But if its flat, this thing will handle with the best of em and is tons of fun, literally 2 tons of fun (sorry Bruce to steal your line!)

chuckstang

Established Member

Both the KR and FRPP handling kit sit much lower than the 2010 GT500, just look at the pics, they are all def not the same.

The KR front springs lower same as the FRPP but not the rear IMO the rear springs on the KR dont lower as much as the FRPP

IMO the stance on the KR is a homerun, I love the rake.

I want a dam KR, prices are drooooooooping to :rockon:

bpmurr

Established Member
I put the FRPP springs on my car and I swear to god it's like they are meant to be on there. The ride quality actually got better.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Both the KR and FRPP handling kit sit much lower than the 2010 GT500, just look at the pics, they are all def not the same.

The KR front springs lower same as the FRPP but not the rear IMO the rear springs on the KR dont lower as much as the FRPP

IMO the stance on the KR is a homerun, I love the rake.

Both the KR and '10 share the same rake to me. I think the body is pulling your eye comparatively because the '10 is a little bulkier.

We can discuss it all day; but I'm just sharing what I was told by an SVT Engineer; along with my observations from looking at all 3 in person on the same day.

PowerHouse Performance had 2-KR's parked next to me at Mustang Week. I compared their ride height all around (finger test, pretty level parking lot) to the two '10 models that were there; one was a virgin from the local dealership...the rear air gap was virtually the same.

But, like I mentioned; I've got the '10 rear on order and as soon as they come in I'll compare them to a KR and FRPP setups.

:beer:

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I actually wanted the KR rear springs because they're slightly stiffer (approx. 40 pounds) and drop the rear; I can't afford to drop my front due to heavily crowned roads and a bad driveway. So, I went through several circles and came up dry because most KR's don't get messed with parts-wise, and Ford (FRPP) is really pissy about selling the parts (but apparently they'll sell you the exhaust, shifter, CAI, tune, bars, and from what I was told...springs under another label...but not just a pair of rears) so I started asking around to find out whether the FRPP parts were in fact the same...along with the '10.

Another thing is all the '10 printed data, when they talk about the spring rates for each end, show the same % increase in spring rate when compared to the 07-9 std. vs. KR rates...the '10 rate % increase matches that of the KR. Of course they can have the same rates and lower the car differently, but I kinda doubt it.

I also came across a 'vert owner in my search and he had installed the FRPP rear spings ONLY in his car. Said it made the car sit level (which is all I'm after). I had the same conclusion that using the KR springs would do the same after seeing a few, using a tape measure and my fingers.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I put the FRPP springs on my car and I swear to god it's like they are meant to be on there. The ride quality actually got better.

We need to see pics!

Did you need camber bolts? I would not want to use them if I did not have to!

I would love to see how much lower it got with the FRPP springs

Are they the same springs in my car or did Ford get new part numbers for the lowerings springs for the 2010?

Users who are viewing this thread