05 mustang gt vs 05 gto today on speed channel @3.30

Banned
yeah, gtos is 37XX pounds...

mustang_00 said:
do you know the curb weight for the GTO by chance, i think i remember the 05 mustang being at 3450lbs. That's still pretty good when you think about a 4.6L vs a 6.0L with about a hundred more horsepower. Is a 100hp only good for .4 seconds or did the drivers suck? I'm guessing motortrend didn't mention reaction times huh

Banned
why would they compare the 05 to an 04 cobra? They already did an 04 vs 04..
98cobra snake said:
That was lame.:rollseyes They were obviously trying to sell some GTOs. Race it against an 04 Cobra and see what happens.

Last edited:

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
All the tests were performed out west in either Cali or Arizona so the altitude was a lot higher then usual for these types of tests. The numbers will look all screwed up compared to what we are use to seeing. There is a correction factor for altitude but I'm not sure what it is . . .

Last edited:

Banned
Guys, its okay the GTO won.. It deserves it IMO.. But it still doesnt change the publics opinion of the car.. The mustang will still kill in the sales..

Fosters

Established Member
they're two different classes of cars, the gt is a mainstream 25,000 dollar car, and the gto is a 33,000 dollar smaller production car... yeah it's apples to oranges, and it would be a more suited comparisson to put it up against the 04 cobra, but oh well. A while ago they compared the 05 mustang to the 04 gto and the mustang ate it. it's a horsepower war, ford will come back ;)

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Pontiac set this whole comparison up to make the GTO look better. I think this comparo is going to hurt it even further.

A while ago they compared the 05 mustang to the 04 gto and the mustang ate it. it's a horsepower war, ford will come back ;)

The thing that pisses me off when they compare such uneven cars like this is that theyre trying to fool the public by saying look how much more advanced our car is than their car when the slower car in the comparo is just a lower model of a much greater car that hasnt been released yet (in this case the GT<GT500). Pretty much theyre riding on the hopes that the public will be stupid enough to believe their hype, and it just makes me hate Pontiac more for trying that.

Last edited:

clean97z

Established Member
Isn't the new mustang like 3500+lbs? Also I would bet the 04 GTO vs an 05 Mustang would be a drivers race. I know a few stock 04 GTO's with decent drivers have run 13.4's, I haven't heard of any new stock mustangs get near those times, other then those run in the car mag's.

On ford's lack of power, granted the mustang is rated at 300, but that's better then last years 260. At least now they're putting over 260+ to the rear wheels bone stock. Plus they'll fix this problem with the GT500..

philthy

Rotten
Established Member
Land of the hartless the home of the paid
My friend just bought a GTO about 2 months ago and let me take it out in the country and rape it with him in the car. The car felt like crap! The clutch had no feeling, and the power just was not there compaired to my 05 Roush and all the roush has/had at that time was a shitty flash program from Roush and a cat back.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
brucewrs said:
Dont bother watching it,It was an info-mercial for pontiac.

That's Speed TV "Test Drive." They test any and everything on that show. They did one for the 05 GT a few months ago, Volvos S60R, Merc Marauder (sp?), ect. TK is a bad ass driver and you got to give it up for some killer drifting.

Users who are viewing this thread