'05 Anomalies

jwfisher

Banned
I'm in the middle of putting a couple of hundred miles on an '05 just for familiarization... I'll write up my experiences later. Nutshell is it's about 500% better than prior Mustangs, compartively makes all the last ones seem third-world. They were so bloody cheap and crude.

Found some oddball stuff in the owners manual, including reference to a moonroof option. That'd be a great option on this car.

Also references to brake assist I didn't know were part of this car. Still no reference anywhere to EBC, which would be a requirement. I don't know if the car has it or not, and if not then why not.

Unfortunately, the owners manual is very cheap and appears to have been thrown together fairly quickly.

And references to the larger 255 tire. I know all about the factory being unable to accomadate them in it's mounting machines... so they are delayed until '06. That'll be nice to see, the 17s look wrong on the car. However, given the desig of the 18s, cast and the large spokes, they will be even heavier. The aftermarket needs to focus on forged (lightweight) wheels for this car.

Just some quick thoughts... sitting in my hotel after my first day of driving it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I think making a claim that the new Mustang is 500 times better then a Fox body is a bit of a stretch. The main advantage is the stiffer chassis and better weight distribution due to the longer wheelbase. Some of the write-up by some of the mags where not to impressed with the acceleration due to the electronically controlled throttle body and the weight of the car (5.0 magazine weighed a GT on a digital scale and it registered at 3625 lbs. ouch!). It certainly is more advanced then the Fox body cars and I'm sure they will improve it further since it is in it's first year release.

In some ways the styling of that car is a real turn-off. I hope they nix that retro interior and give it a more streamline appearance then that blunt nose has. Replace the F-150 mirrors and restyle the tail lights it will be a bitch'n looking car. First year cars always have problems. They'll make it better.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 2 biggest improvements that stand out to me at the moment is the change in the front suspension, and the interior materials and fitment quality.

jwfisher

Banned
SlowSVT said:
I think making a claim that the new Mustang is 500 times better then a Fox body is a bit of a stretch. .

Since I've had ten brand new FOXes since they came out, and 4 SN95s, I think I know my way around them. Even in '79 the FOXes were poorly assembled and crude... by 2004 they were off the map. You could find a Hynudai that was built better.

SlowSVT

Established Member
jwfisher said:
Since I've had ten brand new FOXes since they came out, and 4 SN95s, I think I know my way around them. Even in '79 the FOXes were poorly assembled and crude... by 2004 they were off the map. You could find a Hynudai that was built better.

Hmmm, I own an 04 and I'm an electromechanical design engineer, do all my own work and have been all over this car. I know poor engineering and assembly when I see it, probably better then most people and very likely better then you. While I would not call the build quality of my Mustang "steller" I certainly would not rate it as "crude" the way you describe it. So far I have 7K miles on it with absolutly no problems, No rattles, all the body panels are as straight as an arrow, everything is tight, it handles well and is fast as hell and it's never been in for service. I paid $34K for a 400 hp supercharged car with a 6 speed, IRS, power everything and average about 22 mpg. What bugs me the most about it is how thin the paint is and the excessive backlash in the drivetrain. Other then that I got a great car for a bargan price.

If you disagree with my statement you are more then welcome to come and inspect my car and point out where the design, manufacture and assembly flaws are. If it was just a fraction as bad as you say it is I would have left it on the dealers lot. I can't vouch for the other Mustang owners but I know you would have a very hard time prying a Cobra from the owners hands. I doubt very much an 05 is much better quality then an 04 and it's cetainly not up to the standards of a Honda. Just to let you know If you haven't noticed is that the quality of cars has gotten better each year, not worse.

Having said that I get the impression you haven't learned much even after buying ten new Mustangs and you still liked the car enough to keep buying them...... Go figure

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I don't know if he is saying so much that the previous mustangs were bad cars, I think hes more trying to say that 05 is just sooo much better. I've been for a ride in an 05 and I could tell right away how much more solid of a car it was. Kinda reminds me of a BMW how solid and surefooted it felt, never clunk, never a rattle even over the biggest bumps.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread