05/06 Mustang GT Vs. 96-98 Cobra

Who do you think would win?!?

• This is clearly a drivers race, hands down.

Votes: 27 47.4%
  • The Cobra would own the GT

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • The GT would walk the Cobra

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I have no clue, its time for someone to post a video.

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

98GMEater

Mr. PIIHB
Established Member
97Stangv6 said:
Competive... The gt and 300c maybe, but we can wipe the floor with those other cars. But yes you have good point. :rolling: :beer:

Wipe the floor with a SRT-4 in a stock 96-98 cobra, not likely.

black89lx

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
I agree. The GT would probably get the better launch and will have enough power to hold the Cobra. Stock for stock we're only talking about a 5 hp difference.
yes but there is a bigger difference in torque

and the cobra has 11.3 hp per lb. gt has 11.6.

so going off of numbers the gt should edge it out

jlauth

Established Member
The cobra will get him, I ran an 05 GT with exaust, cai, tune, and 410s. My mods were stock gears, O/R H, flows, and mac cai. It was a close race, but i one from a 35 mph roll, and he got me by a half of a car from like a 20 mph roll, and that was because of the 410s. We both started in the same gear each race also.

Mach&Roll

Established Member
I like the cobra better. I think the 99 and 01 cobra and the 03-04 machs will beat a gt.

pottsy

Established Member
driver's race unless you take it past 3rd gear...the cobra would probably inch away on the top end. I think the two cars are very evenly matched. The GT has slightly more power/torque but also more weight. Neither car has any sort of big advantage, that's for sure.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
The '05 GT has an edge over a '96-'98 Cobra, assuming equal drivers. I realize this is an unpopular statment since this is SVTPerformance and all, but facts are facts.

The '05s 300 horsepower rating is a more conservative rating that the Cobra's 305 hp. The '05s make more along the lines of 320 flywheel horsepower while '98-'98 Cobras are not underrated in the least. The '05 GT also has significantly more torque than those older Cobras. Then there is the issue of 3.55s vs. 3.27s, superior rear suspension setup in the '05, etc... all in all the Cobra doesn't really have one advantage over the '05 in a drag race, other than the GTs drive by wire setup.

While Mach 1s have a slight advantage over the '05s the '96'-98 Cobras are at a DISadvantage.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
black89lx said:
yes but there is a bigger difference in torque

and the cobra has 11.3 hp per lb. gt has 11.6.

so going off of numbers the gt should edge it out

I think you mean lbs per hp. If you are trying to really say hp per lb, you'd have something like .08 something, and by your numbers, you've actually proven the Cobra should be faster. I'd agree that the 05 are probaly closer to 320 flywheel, but until I see some one in an 05 beat a B head Cobra, I'm sticking with what I've observed. I would say it's probaly a drivers race. The 96-98 Cobras are probaly the most inaccurately geared cars to ever leave the factory. At least the tumble port cars had a little more torque, and the freaking Mach's get the 3.55 gear on top of it! To give an accurate comparison, you need to put some 3.55 gears in the Cobra, and in that case, I think you'll see the Cobra run with all the aformentioned cars since they are nearly ALL within production variances in hp to hp comparisons. Meaning, a drivers race pretty much any way you look at it.

wma8706

Established Member
"While Mach 1s have a slight advantage over the '05s the '96'-98 Cobras are at a DISadvantage." .....Slight advantage with the Mach....sorry, I don't think so
A properly driven Mach will destroy a similar driven 05 gt by as much as 2 to 3 cars in the 1/4 on average! In my opinion, It should be a drivers race with the 96-98 cobras only because of the poor gearing in the cobra. Mod for mod....I have to go with the 96-98 cobra every time. That said....I'm well aware of some pretty bad ass 05 gt's out there as well!

Last edited:

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
wma8706 said:
"While Mach 1s have a slight advantage over the '05s the '96'-98 Cobras are at a DISadvantage." .....Slight advantage with the Mach....sorry, I don't think so
A properly driven Mach will destroy a similar driven 05 gt by as much as 2 to 3 cars in the 1/4 on average! In my opinion, It should be a drivers race with the 96-98 cobras only because of the poor gearing in the cobra. Mod for mod....I have to go with the 96-98 cobra every time. That said....I'm well aware of some pretty bad ass 05 gt's out there as well!

The guy you responded to said that the Mach 1's have the advantage read it again.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Like everyone has said, the cars are pretty even. Assuming the cobra is making all of it's factory power since it is an older car, it should be a drivers race. From my experiences of racing 96-98 cobras and 05-06 GT's I would give the GT the advantage from a dig and the cobra from a roll. All in all they are both good cars.

Nick85

Banned
How do you guys know the 05 is closer to 320 flywheel? I like what I hear but it's the first time i've heard it...

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Nick85 said:
How do you guys know the 05 is closer to 320 flywheel? I like what I hear but it's the first time i've heard it...
Because their dyno numbers show that the 3v is making closer to 320 than 300

mackj66

Established Member
4.6 Rocket said:
Because their dyno numbers show that the 3v is making closer to 320 than 300

Well, I have only seen one on the dyno....it was an automatic, and it was nowhere near 320 at the flywheel.
It put down about 258 to the wheels.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Well, 258 to the wheels through an automatic works out to 310 flywheel horsepower. Correction factor and dyno-to-dyno variations can all influence numbers, bottom line the '05s 300 hp rating is on the conservative side. Keep in mind that automatic '05s are putting down about what typical (stock) '96-'98 Cobras where putting to the ground through 5 speeds when new, barring the occasional b-head freak.

There used to be debates over which was quicker, the '99+ GTs or '96-'98 Cobras, most acknowledged that 1/4 mile races came down to the driver due to the Cobra being so undergeared from the factory. I don't think anybody in their right mind would try to say a '99 GT is a match for an '05.

The 05 GT is a drivers race with a 99/01 Cobra, it's quicker than a '96-'98 Cobra, and slightly slower than a Mach 1. I'm talking strictly drag race secnario here, the '05 is down a few mph on trap speed compared to the 99/01 Cobras and Mach 1s so it will lose roll races to those two, toss up with a '96-'98.

Last edited:

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
HotRodHarry said:
Yep...Drivers race

By the looks of your website, you know cars, but you need to lower that 06. Looks good, but drop it a little bit. I don't know why, but upon first glance that 442 looks hilarious. How does it handle?

Users who are viewing this thread