04 Mystichrome or 2013 GT500

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
The Terminator is getting older however, rememebr the history and cult following of these cars..it re set the standard in many ways of power, modding, and streetability. The 13 is a beast and a car worth having. However, just picture owning both in the upcoming years. I regret selling many cars for the "new thing". The 03/04 cobra is a big part of ford history. Hold onto it, buy a 13 next year and then choose which one to drive on saturday. Eventually you will be taking the mystic out more than you thought. I'm back in a fox( and could not be happier)..after doing the whole KB cobra 600 rwhp thing back in 06-08....I wish I still had that car though. Pay off the mystic, save for the 13..and own both!

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Keep the 04. Better looking car & you'll regret selling it down the road. You're gonna get everyone telling u 2013 though cause u posted in the 2013 thread.

No its because its a better and 10 year newer car. But i say keep no car payment and stick with the term

04ssssvt

04ssssvt
Established Member
The Terminator is getting older however, rememebr the history and cult following of these cars..it re set the standard in many ways of power, modding, and streetability. The 13 is a beast and a car worth having. However, just picture owning both in the upcoming years. I regret selling many cars for the "new thing". The 03/04 cobra is a big part of ford history. Hold onto it, buy a 13 next year and then choose which one to drive on saturday. Eventually you will be taking the mystic out more than you thought. I'm back in a fox( and could not be happier)..after doing the whole KB cobra 600 rwhp thing back in 06-08....I wish I still had that car though. Pay off the mystic, save for the 13..and own both!

Agreed! Cars will always get outdated and improved. If you do end up with a 13', that too will get old and outdated eventually. Hold on to what you have. My family and friends always talk about the cars they had and how they miss them. They too wish they still had those cars they used to drive many many years ago. Again, the 13' is no question a better performer, but I think your 04 has a lot more value than you think it has and I truly believe this will become more apparent as time progresses. Listen to your wife. Hold on to your 04, save your money, and purchase the 13' when you're ready for another add on.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Yes it's paid for. I wouldn't be trading it in. I'd be selling it. I have a number of interested buyers.

I do love the 04, but like I said, the 2013 is calling to me lol.

No way in the world if the car was paid for that I would sell it..I'd keep it and buy the 2013. I already made that mistake once....I wish I had my 04 SY Cobra Vert AND my 2011 one......

Unless you need the money from the sale of the car I'd figure I way to keep it...

carguy19

Established Member
Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the right spot for this. But I'm seriously torn between what I want to do.

I currently own a 2004 Mystichrome. When I bought her, I swore I'd never sell her. Up until this point, I haven't hard the urge to. But the new 2013 GT500 has me really wanting one.

If I sell my 04, I can easily get the 2013, no problem. I'd love to keep both but that isn't going to happen.

What are your honest opinions. Sell the 04 for the 2013? What would you do?

Another far fetched compromise....
wait for someone to total a 2013 and buy it and put the motor in the mystichrome. :pepper:

chelseadevil21

Established Member
Agreed! Cars will always get outdated and improved. If you do end up with a 13', that too will get old and outdated eventually. Hold on to what you have. My family and friends always talk about the cars they had and how they miss them. They too wish they still had those cars they used to drive many many years ago. Again, the 13' is no question a better performer, but I think your 04 has a lot more value than you think it has and I truly believe this will become more apparent as time progresses. Listen to your wife. Hold on to your 04, save your money, and purchase the 13' when you're ready for another add on.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :beer:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Id wait a year to find a low mileage one and avoid the depreciation. Maybe by then youll be able to keep both

This is what I would do if I were in the market for a 2013 GT500. I'd let someone else take the depreciation hit, let them keep it in the garage for a year or two, then take it off their hands for 10,000 less than they paid for it.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Another far fetched compromise....
wait for someone to total a 2013 and buy it and put the motor in the mystichrome. :pepper:

Not really sure what you mean by "far fetched". That usually means it's a reach and not realistic. My options are very realistic and obtainable. I either keep what I have, and mod it some more, or sell it, and use that as a down payment on a 2013, and start building off a newer, better platform.

Thanks for all the opinions guys, I do appreciate it. I'm still debating in my head. I get what some of you are saying about wait, but at the same time, I've always been a person who if I want it, I try to get it when I can. Life is full of too many uncertanties, and who knows, if I wait a year, maybe by then I won't even be able to afford it for some odd reason or another. :shrug: I dunno, but it's a thought right?

Thanks again everyone. You guys rock. :rockon:

BigDan

Established Member
Honestly I would wait just another 18 or so months until we see what the next gen 2015 GT500 has in store before I made a decision. There is still so much more tech Ford is capable of putting into the next gen. It could have the coyotes Ti-VCT, e85 Flex fuel, IRS, lighter weight, optional dual clutch auto, new looks, etc.

BADZL1

Shunned from C5!
Established Member
keep it...or better yet i might be interested in the next few moths if we both get serious!
Had a ZL1 on order....But holding off for a 2013 ZL1, or a GT500..
I have been looking for a mystichrome as well...BTW...there aren't that many out there for sale... Its a collectable so id try to hang on to it if it where me.

lowbudgetracer

I know it looks good
Established Member
Like many have said about the past. I sure do miss the silver coupe I use to own. I drive the hell out of my 90 I have now more than anything else I own. I like your 04 so, if you or Outlaw decide to sell I need to know I will be standing by with money in hand. I can always wait to get the 13 or 14 it makes no difference to me hell even a 12 I'm good with. If I really want to go fast I can pull out the 94. That's not saying the others are not but, it's built to get beat on. BTW, thanks for the pics it's one clean ride.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Hmmm hard to say. You need to drive what will make YOU happy. The 04 Cobra's exp the Myst Colours ones are beautiful cars indeed. The Cobra is still a nice platform to build upon. I had a 03 Cobra, that was pewter colour. Was stolen :( and I missed the car. I can honestly say now that my 11 Cobra has finally replaced the fun factor I had in that car, and I had owned a 08GT that was S/C. The Cobra's are just great cars, and a blast to drive.

The 13's will be beasts for sure. A great platform, and it will not take much. Like the 04, these 13 may be the end of the S197 era. Who knows what the new platform will be. So I say if its calling you, then do it. If you enjoy your current Cobra, I can tell you will enjoy the new platform. I know I do.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Tough call for sure but I would be soooooo tempted to get a '13 if I could do so. When I got my 10th Anniversary I told myself I would never sell it but I would be torn if I had a chance at getting a new '13. I've pretty much decided to pick one up a few years down the road when the prices have dropped significantly and so I can keep the Cobra. But by that time the new Mustang is going to be out and who knows what will be available then.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Love the Terminators but let's face it, they are almost 10 years old and were built on a platform dating back to the 70's. The new platform is better in every way and Terminator owners need to accept the fact that our cars are no longer the top dog. Time marches on and there have been a lot of improvements in 10 years.

The biggest factor for me would be do I want to spend 65k on a Shelby when my Terminator is paid for. If it doesn't phase you then upgrade no question. Having a 650 hp car out of the box will be bad ass.

Bingo.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Honestly I would wait just another 18 or so months until we see what the next gen 2015 GT500 has in store before I made a decision. There is still so much more tech Ford is capable of putting into the next gen. It could have the coyotes Ti-VCT, e85 Flex fuel, IRS, lighter weight, optional dual clutch auto, new looks, etc.

Great point. If you buy the 2013 the completely re-designed 2015 will be out before you're done paying for it. I'm thinking Ford will add Direct Injection on the next-gen cars. Lighter weight, comparable power, and a well-designed IRS will be extremely tempting. Ford isn't going to go backwards with the new car, no SVT has had less power than the previous.

specizripn

Established Member
Keep in mind with just a tune and bolt ons you will "supposedly" be able to get like 750+ hp out of the motor, without even upgrading the supercharger. This is a rumor so don't quote me on it, but it's supposedly because it has .4 liters more displacement, 5 lbs more boost, and .6 higher compression ratio than the 2012. Supposedly it uses better heads and cams too, but im not really sure about that. So it is a beast out of the box, and a monster with just a full exhaust and tune (once the aftermarket parts come out that is). Good Luck! Both are great cars!

reggies

Established Member
I am selling my Mystichrome coupe with 13000 kilometres to purchase a 2013 DI Blue GT500 convertible.

Shhhh

Established Member
Sold my '03 2.8KB for the '13 so Im biased in saying you should upgrade.

My thoughts were that its;
1. A new platform.
2. Should be able to get back into the 600+rwhp range with minimal mods.
3. The new gearing sound very street friendly.
4. Sold rear which Ill be happy to have again.
5. 5.8L 2.3TVS from the factory?!?! Yes please :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread