04 kb cobra smoking out of the breather and smoke out of pass side exhaust

blknredsnake

Established Member
Hey i bought an 04 cobra on here a few months ago, its a built motor with a kb 2.8 that was ran pretty hard. Upon arriving at the shop the tuner had noticed that there was blue smoke coming out on the passenger side. After doing the fuel upgrades and clutch and everything. The car was on the dyno breaking in the clutch and they notice a significant amount of smoke coming out of the breather on the passenger side. The confusing part is that the compression came out good betweeen 140 and 145 and the only leakdown that wasnt great was a cylinder on the driver side. I acknowledge that smoke from the exhaust and smoke from the breather indicates an issue. But i wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on whats wrong or more importantly what my next step should be as my tuner is not sure either. Thanks in advance

Video isnt the best quality but full screen helps. This is at idle but my tuner said under load its alot more.
[video=youtube;ncBbMuuFqDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncBbMuuFqDo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I don't know on your specific setup but I noticed you mentioned a built motor. In the past on built motors I've done that had a fairly loose ring gap because very high boost was intended on the motor we'd have smoke like that coming out the breathers from blow by. Even at idle like that. Pull the pistons and replace the rings with a tighter gap and it goes away but if its to tight for the boost you plan on running you're going to have bigger problems.

Now the exhaust we never had issues with. You either have two issues going on or something completely different going on.

Users who are viewing this thread