04 GT K/B Dyno numbers..need help!

91frppgt

Banned
hey guys, i got some info i would like to share!

my buddy has a 04 mustang gt, it has 30k miles...its bone stock other than 3:90 gear, flows, and a steeda tri-ax.

this weekend we put a kenne bell s/c on it. i'm pretty sure its the 2.1l, the basic kit no intercooler or anything. we put the 9lb pullie on it. overall the kit was well designed, everything bolted up easy. we put a gt40 fuel pump instead of the boost a pump.

he took it today to get it dynoed and only made 270hp/311tq to the wheels. the boost gauge was showing 11 psi as well. i was thinking it would of been around 330ish. I know his next mods are a sct mas air, longtubes, prochamber, catback, intake, and t/b. is it possible to make near 400 with a stock bottom end and be reliable? we are going to replace the clutch soon too.

thanks for the info guys!

Kuestone

Banned
Well, If you got the non intercooled kit, then I would expect low numbers if thats the only mod. I would expect The temps were really high and it pulled timing, And if its the stock Mass air meter then I dont think you can tune over 300 with it, you need a 90mm maf.

wallie40

Established Member
Did you check all the vaccum lines? Is there any leaks anywhere?

Did he run a compression/Leak down to know the health of his engine before the blower was put on.

I would say with 9psi you should be closer to the 400HP mark.

91frppgt

Banned
yea we did a compression check. all cylinders were fine. its got a stock mass air..and we did check all vacuum lines. i'm not sure whats going on here. its on a dyno jet dyno..i know the numbers are a little bit lower on those...

Blown02

Established Member
what the hell.. Am I reading something wrong, or did you say this kb car made 270rwhp..Is it an auto? Something is def wrong.. Contact MPH as they are the 2v kb kings..

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
Is he running stock injectors as well as MAF? Running out of either will cause it to lean out.

At the top of a run you're going to have plenty of timing being pulled being non-intercooled. But still, 270whp@11psi would be crazy timing being pulled. I would think you would have that output at about 4-5psi easy with a 2v 4.6l. Are there any cats on the car? Sounds like restriction somewhere.

TClark22

Established Member
umm holy crap?

a 99-04 GT with a 2.1kb on it at 11lbs should be around 400hp...i mean my 8lb procharger kit is putting out 364hp with a completely stock engine except for midpipe and catback. but i have the necessary fuel upgrades...

i think 270hp would be what he had before the blower with that list of mods.

he needs a 90mm mass air and 42lb injectors

Last edited:

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
I would say get a water/meth kit to try and keep the timing down, definitely better injectors that stock, and a sct maf. should see 400+ with that setup..

91frppgt

Banned
it has 39lb injectors, or whatever the kit comes with. stock MAF, its 5 spd. i'm not sure whats wrong with the car at all...

it does have a stock h-pipe but the cats are gutted..i would deff. be dissapointed if it was my car. hell my auto 3v 07 makes 287 rwhp with a few simple bolt ons.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
First things first....ditch the stock MAF for a SCT BA2400, second Those flowmasters ain't helpin.

With that much boost and the stock maf+ no intercooler= tons of heat, a possible lean condition and no timing whatsoever because of all the heat

he's lucky it still runs imo

Last edited:

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
wow something is way wrong. First off in my opinion he shouldnt be running that much boost with the non intercooled kit. I believe KB sells there non intercooled kits with a 6lb pulley if i remember correctley. My lil 1.7 KB makes 388rwhp and 401rwtq with the 9lb pulley so your buds numbers are way off. you should swap on the 6lb pulley and go from there.

s/c stang

Established Member
who tuned it, may need bigger injectors,maf....either way you should be around 380-400 rwhp when its all said and done..

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
those #s seem right to me without the intercooler. i bet if the car was 100% tuned and 100% cooled down and did one quick dyno pass he might crack off 350hp but with it being non intercooled its just gonna pull timing after it hit 160tempd he should of went with a Intercooled kit.

i know a guy that went to the dyno with his 03 and his h/e pump was out and dynoed 365rwhp fixed that and now making 447rwhp

mysteed

Established Member
Well something is certainly wrong. Did he install the fuel pump? Even the stocker supports more than what he made. What does the vaccum read at idle?

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
270whp is just totally bs numbers if the kit is actually on the car and tuned. I would take it back and demand either retune or refund. 04 GT with full bolt ons can make 270whp. Any addition of boost is going to put it over 300 at least. 9psi i would expect 360whp....

prochargedcobra

BADENUF
Established Member
could be belt slip, clutch slipping, but he needs a bigger maf. With the 39#ers hes running he could slap on an 03-04 cobra maf and it would be perfect for those injectors. A meth kit would be nice but that shouldn cause his numbers to be that low. He needs to get a larger pulley. My guess is its several things wrong. lower the boost with larger pulley and get the maf first then come back to us if not fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread