04 F150 opinions wanted

robs400

Established Member
I've been looking for the past month or so for a clean 4wd truck. My price range allowed me to look at 97-03 F150s...however up here in New England its hard to find ones without rust on them. A local dealer responded to an email I sent with an 04 F150 with around 90kmi. Extended cab, 4wd. They are looking to get $7995. That sounded like a pretty good deal...granted I havent seen the truck yet. Provided its nice tho...are these trucks reliable? Some reviews I have read talk about having engines and transmissions in need of replacement before 100k along with other costly repairs. Being that this was the first year of that particular design I didnt know if there were well known "bugs" with these trucks. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

floyd4ford

Ford guy
Established Member
I have an 06 with 31,000 and haven't had a bit of problems. I also have the 5.4 3v in the truck and I am very impressed with it, I have a 02 expedition with the 5.4 and it has nowhere near the power of the new motors.

Last edited:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I've got a 97 four wheel drive I bought at a state auction I've had for a few months and its trouble free. My dad had a 97 he bought new and he traded it for a Lightning when it had 80k on it and he never had to do a thing to it. They are great trucks.

97riocobra2

Established Member
go to f150online.com you can find all the info you didn't want to know about. The newer body style has a nice interior and a good quiet ride. But it still has the typical ford transmission and torque converter woes. And if you are lucky you'll shoot a plug out the head. I'd trade my 99 for a 04 in a heartbeat though.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
the 04 f150 is a great truck. 8k for 90k mile still seems high. remember they cant give trucks away right now! offer 6k otd for the 04!

just checked edmunds and kbb. for this truck(not knowing specifics) retail will be from 8k to 11k. trade in value could be as low as 5k. like i said earlier the deals are out there. if you get an 04 get the 5.4, more pep and the same mileage.

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
go to f150online.com you can find all the info you didn't want to know about. The newer body style has a nice interior and a good quiet ride. But it still has the typical ford transmission and torque converter woes. And if you are lucky you'll shoot a plug out the head. I'd trade my 99 for a 04 in a heartbeat though.

very good site....and have read several horror stories about the heads on the 04-06 3v. I myself own an 06. Bought it Brand New. It had 36kmiles on it and has for the most part been trouble free. I had to have the computer updated on it for cold starts. Kept dying on me. It took only matter of minutes though and has been trouble free ever since.

I say its a good price and you should def consider it. I almost think you might be able to find one with lower mileage for around the same price. These things are selling cheap brand new right now....used are even cheaper! Sucks but its the truth with econommy and gas prices.

robs400

Established Member
maybe I'm looking in the wrong places...8k seems to be all I'm seeing for prices on 01-ish F150's. I thought the same thing too...that they would be giving these things away...but I cant seem to find them.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
I had an '04 scab with the 2v 4.6, and I had zero problems for the 35,000 I put on it. I'd recommend the 5.4 for power though. I love my '06 with the 5.4.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I had a 05 4.6 4x4 and it was a lazy dog but trouble free. I have a 06 FX4 Screw with the 5.4 and it has been good except for two electronic issues with the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread