04 cobra weird acceleration issue!

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys maybe it’s been talked about a lot but I haven’t ran into a related post in a while or that I can remember. My car seems to feel weird when I punch the throttle. If I slowly pick up speed it goes but if I’m in any gear and I punch the throttle it feels like a delay on tires to react. It seems like the engine revs and maybe 2/3 seconds then the car starts moving. I drove my friends cobra and didn’t feel like that, anyone know what that issue is? My only guess is slight belt slip. Car was sitting for a while.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Definitely sounds like a clutch problem, the way you’re describing it.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
^^Yes! If the rpms increase without a corresponding increase in mph, it’s your clutch. Belt slip won’t show a difference between rpms and mph. Belt slip will simply be a reduction in boost/power and sometimes result in erratic boost (fluctuating). Belt slip will also lead to belt dust around your pulley area.

A worn clutch will show its age first when you punch the throttle and put a heavy demand on it.

Also, make sure there is some heat in your clutch before stabbing the throttle.

zredfire04

Established Member
yup. clutch. mine does the same thing...first time i was changing lanes in 6th gear and gave it some gas. rpm went up without accelerating. since then it's happened at lower and lower loads.

mark23svt

Established Member
Dam well thanks guys now I have a big thing to think of. I wasn’t expecting for clutch at the moment so I bought others parts to put(level 2 Fore kit, arh 1 3/4 and x pipe, waiting for steeda k memeber) so with all that now to either save for a bit and buy a twin disk or just get a spec stage 3.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm just curious. So how many miles on your clutch? Is it the original?

mark23svt

Established Member
Car only has 28k but car didn’t be have a great previous owner, he wouldn’t beat on the car but more like neglected it. I bought it from him because it was sitting outside his house for over 6 plus years and I couldn’t take it watching that car rote

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Lol I hate rote cars too, sounds like your going to have everything out of the way to do the clutch anyway, inspect the pressure plate and flywheel might get away with just the disc

mark23svt

Established Member
It’s weird though cuz I bought the MM stage 2 irs kit and now it seems louder in gear whine and I can hear the car clunk more during some shifts. And I will inspect everything while I take everything off prob get new rear main seal and motor mounts.

hotcobra03

Established Member
28k..wow..

it can be other than clutch..

I had issues..slip/hard to get into gear/ rock hard to push pedal..

car had 365k on original clutch..
clutch still had grooves...wasn't the issue..

issue was binding clutch cable,,even being new out of box..

after a search ,seen its suggested to oil cable..I tried, now it moves freely..all issues gone..

rear end clunk is very common, something you will learn to drive thru.

the car sitting for yrs,,it may take a few months of use to get all the bugs out..

I had engine out for head work..

I didn' touch rear main..ford has always had leaks here..this is the 1st I've had that doesnt..I left well enough alone, pilot bearing also..
fly wheel untouched just buffed..

but I'm stock and don' beat on it..

01yellercobra

Established Member
It’s weird though cuz I bought the MM stage 2 irs kit and now it seems louder in gear whine and I can hear the car clunk more during some shifts. And I will inspect everything while I take everything off prob get new rear main seal and motor mounts.
Depending on the diff bushings you'll hear more gear whine. Poly and aluminum bushings don't have as much isolation as the stock rubber. Did you have the bigger front bolts put in?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

mark23svt

Established Member
Thank you I’ll look into that clutch. And shit I don’t know if the bolts came with the mm street package if not I do need them.

Users who are viewing this thread