04 cobra vs. 2015 Challenger

termi242

Listiger Wolf
Established Member
Well I was minding my own business cruising around on a Sunday night with my lady, and in my rear view I see the very distinct set of headlight from a challenger. Most everyone around here has v6 Challengers or the basic 5.7L hemi powered cars.

All of the sudden I see a blue blur come by me at 100+ mph. My wife looked at me and said go get him. Now I havent had a chance this year to run anything worth a crap, and had just built this car in December, so I played ball. I dropped 2 gears and proceeded to play chase. He finally slowed down and I saw that it was a 2015 scat pack Challenger. I was seriously hoping it was a Hellcat due to how loud the car was when it came by, the guy rolled down his window and asked for a 35 roll. Not wanting to disappoint, I dropped into 2nd and waited for the honks. 1, 2 ,3 I dropped the hammer and immediately pulled a car, shifted to 3rd and and had at least 4 lengths on him halfway through 3rd.. Went ahead and shut it down and waited for him to catch back up. He caught up and gave me the meanest look for just a split second and said "1 more time!". This time just for fun I let him have the hit, he was a car ahead at first, by the end of second was 1 car behind , and by the end of 3rd he was a couple bus lengths back.

We pulled over and he said it was a 2015 scat pack with LT's , intake, tune and an auto that made around 480 to the wheels (no idea if that is the truth or not). My car is a 04 cobra, whipple 2.3, lethal return system, and a 9.3:1 compression engine. I made 620 on 17 psi and 705 on 110 @21 psi, this run was just 93 Oct and 17 psi.

Overall I was very happy with how my car did. I haven't raced anything in almost 2 years due to the build, family issues , and ppl driving fast cars when I am in my truck. Lol.

Last edited:

daves03svt

Established Member
Great kill. No way he is making 480rwhp, more like 420-440 with those mods. Not like it would have mattered anyway, as your car should have no trouble pulling a hellcat.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
with your whipple, a hellcat would have been more in your league.

last month I ran a '15 srt 392 challenger and just edged him out with my pullied stock eaton vert.

nice kill!

earl lee

Established Member
Great kill. No way he is making 480rwhp, more like 420-440 with those mods. Not like it would have mattered anyway, as your car should have no trouble pulling a hellcat.

They dyno within the 420-440 range stock.

daves03svt

Established Member

Not the ones I've seen. One of my friends has a full bolt on 2013 srt charger, and only put down 450rwhp. Stock it was 415rwhp. Could be a low dyno, but judging by the way my car pulls him bad, I tend to believe what his numbers are.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Good kill OP! He was out of his league performance wise.

480 is a stretch, but the numbers you're guessing are stock range for the 6.4. The 6.1 with a Tstat, catback, and canned tune puts out ~400.

Exactly.

Last edited:

daves03svt

Established Member
Good kill OP! He was out of his league performance wise.

480 is a stretch, but the numbers you're guessing are stock range for the 6.4. The 6.1 with a Tstat, catback, and canned tune puts out ~400.

Exactly.

My intake and tuned 6.1 only made 380rwhp, but is now in the 480rwhp range and has no trouble with full bolt on 6.4s. I'm going to miss the old girl. Her replacement is due to arrive on Monday. Either way, this 6.4 would've needed a blower or big shot to keep up with op.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
The aftermarket sucks for these cars! Well, unless your pockets are deeeeeep, and mine aren't lol. Whats the replacement?

daves03svt

Established Member
Aftermarket isn't too bad now days. My heads cam full exhaust ran me under 3k and picked up over 100rwhp. Put 100k miles on this setup and never had an issue. Replacement is an ivory charger hellcat. Can't wait to pick it up, been on order over a year lol.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Well I was minding my own business cruising around on a Sunday night with my lady, and in my rear view I see the very distinct set of headlight from a challenger. Most everyone around here has v6 Challengers or the basic 5.7L hemi powered cars.

All of the sudden I see a blue blur come by me at 100+ mph. My wife looked at me and said go get him. Now I havent had a chance this year to run anything worth a crap, and had just built this car in December, so I played ball. I dropped 2 gears and proceeded to play chase. He finally slowed down and I saw that it was a 2015 scat pack Challenger. I was seriously hoping it was a Hellcat due to how loud the car was when it came by, the guy rolled down his window and asked for a 35 roll. Not wanting to disappoint, I dropped into 2nd and waited for the honks. 1, 2 ,3 I dropped the hammer and immediately pulled a car, shifted to 3rd and and had at least 4 lengths on him halfway through 3rd.. Went ahead and shut it down and waited for him to catch back up. He caught up and gave me the meanest look for just a split second and said "1 more time!". This time just for fun I let him have the hit, he was a car ahead at first, by the end of second was 1 car behind , and by the end of 3rd he was a couple bus lengths back.

We pulled over and he said it was a 2015 scat pack with LT's , intake, tune and an auto that made around 480 to the wheels (no idea if that is the truth or not). My car is a 04 cobra, whipple 2.3, lethal return system, and a 9.3:1 compression engine. I made 620 on 17 psi and 705 on 110 @21 psi, this run was just 93 Oct and 17 psi.

Overall I was very happy with how my car did. I haven't raced anything in almost 2 years due to the build, family issues , and ppl driving fast cars when I am in my truck. Lol.

[video=youtube;ifTj9JkuJBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTj9JkuJBI[/video]

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
My buddies brand new 15 auto scat with hellcat box against my 14 GT. He ran a 12.53 @ 112. Track is 1500' elevation btw.
[video=youtube_share;MiGCdV9xdlY]http://youtu.be/MiGCdV9xdlY[/video]

Last edited:

termi242

Listiger Wolf
Established Member
Agree with everyone here. A Hellcat is definitely right up your alley. Great kill.

Thanks! In reply to the hellcat replies, if I could find one that would want to run I would love to lay some rubber. Only problem is the only 2 hellcat Challengers I know of won't run me, and the only charger hellcat I have seen is the awesome blue color, and I was in my truck.

Now thats a great wife haha.

Agreed, she loves the car more than I do. Which is rare.

Wish I would have gotten all the action on video, but it happened so quick I didn't have time to react . Anyone in the south ga area have a Hellcat?

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Aftermarket isn't too bad now days. My heads cam full exhaust ran me under 3k and picked up over 100rwhp. Put 100k miles on this setup and never had an issue. Replacement is an ivory charger hellcat. Can't wait to pick it up, been on order over a year lol.

Congrats, what's taking it so long?

[video=youtube;ifTj9JkuJBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTj9JkuJBI[/video]

This guy..

daves03svt

Established Member
Congrats, what's taking it so long?

I refused to pay the $30k markups the dealers want for cars on the lot. Found an msrp dealer last feb and placed my order. Fca completely screwed up the ordering system for the hellcats last year, so my order was never filled. Aug of 15 I got a letter and 4k discount voucher towards the purchase of a 16 hellcat to make up for the snafu. My dealer finally got an allocation this jan for a charger and now it is on the truck, with all the options I wanted. Getting really excited now hehe.

03 deadpool

Established Member
Nice kill. i have been wanting to run a hellcat but the only ones in my area are owned bye old guys that bought them as a investment and dont even have the "red" key with them and usually dont wanna run.

termi242

Listiger Wolf
Established Member
An update to the thread. I actually had the opportunity to run a fatcat this weekend from a dig and 2 30 rolls. The dig was a very close race. I shut down around 130 with only half a car lead. From the line the auto hellcat is pretty damn awesome. Pulled over a full car on me and really made me work for the W. The two roll races were much easier. I ended up about with what I would say is a car and a half/two car lead and I have no idea when I let off. I was running my 110 tune this time but the dang humidity was really high and the temp was up there too, so I don't think my car was making what it made in December with 36 degree weather lol, but I was very happy with the results. Have a good day friends!

Edit: it was a stock hellcat

Users who are viewing this thread