04 cobra vs. 04 mach 1

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
Nice run!! What mods are you running. I'll be installing my rear, gears (4.10) and dr's shortly. I hope to be down in your range!!

GMKILLA

Established Member
i have 4.10 gears off road x pipe borla stingers k&n intake diablo chip and 17 inch et streets thats it check my sig just incase i fogot anything

ptim

Established Member
Justin Blake said:
We were out playing around a couple of nights ago and I see this mach 1 and this guy keeps tailing me and passing me all night, just trying to piss me off and after a while of this i finally led him out to a remote are and this is what happened. http://www.stangsource.com/files.cgi?download=111

This was just for fun and i knew i would win but he asked for it.

Get the story straight, that wasnt an 04 mach
....it was a 03 :poke:

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
GMKILLA said:
i have 4.10 gears off road x pipe borla stingers k&n intake diablo chip and 17 inch et streets thats it check my sig just incase i fogot anything

Cool, that's just what I have (basically)!! the 4.10s, 31 spline axles, and et streets will be going on shortly!!!

kilroy

Powered by Ford/FRPP/ATS
Established Member
kissmyAZZure said:
Nice run!! What mods are you running. I'll be installing my rear, gears (4.10) and dr's shortly. I hope to be down in your range!!
Go shorter, say 4.30s :beer:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
wurd2 said:
Keep in mind that the Cobra is generally 10k more expensive. If you were to buy a Mach1 and pour 10k in mods into it, the tables might be turned in favor of the Mach1. If someone wants to give me 10k, I'd be happy to provide some proof of this claim!

:rollseyes I could go buy a totalled V6 stang and change it over to a 331cid with a 80mm turbo and blow you all away for less money. :nonono:

:loser:

Beetle6986

Established Member
wurd2 said:
Keep in mind that the Cobra is generally 10k more expensive. If you were to buy a Mach1 and pour 10k in mods into it, the tables might be turned in favor of the Mach1. If someone wants to give me 10k, I'd be happy to provide some proof of this claim!

Your logic makes no sense especially for a Mach owner. Tell me, why did you buy a Mach instead of a GT or a 6 cyclinder? Based on your quote above, I don't think you can answer that. Bottom line = the stock Cobra has a lot more power and takes a stock Mach 1 without a problem (around a second difference in the 1/4? with the Mach having a better rear for launching). The same goes for the Mach1 vs a GT and a GT vs a V6. Sure, there are GTs and Mach1s out there that will beat a Cobra. If the Cobra has the same mods, its easily on top again. As you know horsepower gains from mods are on a % basis. A cobra will usually get more horses than a Mach1 for the same mods. A cobra is also a lot more than just HP gains (Brakes, steering, handling etc.). I could modify my cobra to be faster than a Saleen 7 in a straight line. But, its STILL NOT a Saleen 7. I do agree that the video doesnt represent the difference between a stock Mach and stock Cobra.

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
Your logic makes no sense especially for a Mach owner.

I'm afraid there's nothing wrong with my logic, the problem lies in the value of what I've said, and how you feel about it. Let me explain.

Keep in mind that the Cobra is generally 10k more expensive.

When I was looking to buy a Mach1, I visited a handful of Ford dealers in my surrounding area. I can't recall exact figures, but the Mach1's were roughly 30k and the Cobra's were roughly 40k, which entitles me to make my above statement. Like it or not, this is what I observed.

If you were to buy a Mach1 and pour 10k in mods into it, the tables might be turned in favor of the Mach1.

Let's just say stock Mach1's are running 13.5 second 1/4 miles. And let's say stock Cobra's are running 12.5 second 1/4 miles. As we start spending some cash and modifying the Mach1, the 13.5 second 1/4 mile times will begin to decrease and approach the 12.5 second 1/4 mile mark. This demonstrates that the "tables might be turned in favor of the Mach1" after having invested 10k.

The bottom line is that this sort of reasoning follows when you compare two cars of differing values. There's nothing that is logically wrong with my statements, you simply do not like them because they infer that a Mach1 is better than a Cobra, but that's not what I'm trying to say. I made these statements to support my argument that the video in this thread is not an accurate representation of the performance difference between a stock Mach1 and a stock Cobra.

Beetle6986 said:
Tell me, why did you buy a Mach instead of a GT or a 6 cyclinder? Based on your quote above, I don't think you can answer that.

Honestly, when I was shopping for a Mustang, I didn't know a damned thing compared to what I know now. At least I knew I didn't want a darned V6! But what you're driving at here is that money was a factor in my decision, and that is correct. Consequently, this has no impact on my logic that I can foresee. I can, however, see it having an impact on my ego, had I chosen a Cobra.

Beetle6986 said:
Bottom line = the stock Cobra has a lot more power and takes a stock Mach 1 without a problem (around a second difference in the 1/4? with the Mach having a better rear for launching). The same goes for the Mach1 vs a GT and a GT vs a V6. Sure, there are GTs and Mach1s out there that will beat a Cobra. If the Cobra has the same mods, its easily on top again. As you know horsepower gains from mods are on a % basis. A cobra will usually get more horses than a Mach1 for the same mods.

I think you are overlooking something here. Which engine is going to respond more to boost, a Mach1 engine with 10.1:1 compression, or a Cobra engine with 8.5:1 compression? Of course the Mach1 engine with non-forged internals (manual Mach1's have a forged crankshaft) will eventually grenade, but this fact doesn't alter the correct answer to my question.

Beetle6986 said:
I do agree that the video doesnt represent the difference between a stock Mach and stock Cobra.

That's really all I'm trying to say here. I noted that my statement about the value of a Mach1 as compared to a Cobra upset some members, so I just won't mention these facts anymore.

Stopsign32v said:
:rollseyes I could go buy a totalled V6 stang and change it over to a 331cid with a 80mm turbo and blow you all away for less money. :nonono:

:loser:

Yes, anything can be made fast. I missed your point though, nor am I interested in it.

Last edited:

Beetle6986

Established Member
wurd2 said:
Keep in mind that the Cobra is generally 10k more expensive.the Mach1's were roughly 30k and the Cobra's were roughly 40k, which entitles me to make my above statement. Like it or not, this is what I observed.

I went to 3 different dealers. The sticker on a on a Cobra coupe was around 36 and a Mach 1 was around 29-30 at all of them. The dealers around you must have really messed with the prices.

wurd2 said:
you simply do not like them because they infer that a Mach1 is better than a Cobra, but that's not what I'm trying to say.
I never said a cobra is better than a Mach I. Everyone has their own opinion and its all in what you like. Ego has nothing to do with it.

wurd2 said:
But what you're driving at here is that money was a factor in my decision, and that is correct.
What I was driving at is why did you buy a GT and modify it to be faster than a Mach instead of paying the extra money to buy a Mach.

wurd2 said:
I think you are overlooking something here. Which engine is going to respond more to boost, a Mach1 engine with 10.1:1 compression, or a Cobra engine with 8.5:1 compression?
Which one will handle more?

I won't respond anymore, apparently this thread has been here before and people are tire of it.

John and Renae

Established Member
Okay...

I own a mach...I love the car...I chose not to buy a Cobra because I grew up in my best friends Mach 1 and promised myself I would buy one if Ford ever built it again and it was not just some sticker package. I also did not buy a Terminator because at that time the cars were still 6k more than the Mach and sitting in my garage is my 450hp supercharged lx...

I know a lot of the terminator owners don't want to hear about heritage and looks and all that. Please understand from my vantage point that is not to say that the cobra is lacking in heritage and or looks. Believe me, if I could afford one I would have one too...

To me the bottom line is this...They are both outstanding cars. The simple fact is the power of the Terminator far surpasses the Mach in stock form.

Also, the handling edge has to go to the Terminator due to the IRS.

If you are building a dedicated drag car, both cars have their disadvantages.
The Mach still has 28spline crap from the factory...
The Cobra has the Irs.
If you are really going to build the car to go straight you are replacing parts in one and the assembly in the other...There is a slight edge to the Mach there because it is less expensive to build the rear end properly.
The stock gearing in the 3650 is more favorable to a good launch vs the t56 first gear assuming final drive's are the same...

The power edge will always be with the Cobra. It was built for forced induction. It is an engine that has already proven to take a ton of power and last.

The Mach has great potential as well, but you are talking about an engine that needs a complete shortblock build up to sustain the power a modded Cobra can attain.

A lot of people seem to be getting upset about all of this when in reality they are two different cars with two different target audiences.

Can a stock mach hang with a stock cobra on the street?
That is one of the silliest questions regardless of what cars we are talking about. A good driver in a slower car can best a bad driver in a faster car all day long. Same drivers, same skill levels, and the faster car will win...

But, on the street, there are too many variables that will contribute to a win or a loss. Are there Mach 1 owners will fast mach's that can keep up or beat stock or near stock Cobra's? Sure...But it is certainly not the vast majority of the cars out there...

We are all Mustang enthusiasts. I hate to see threads like this because it does not really help anything. I respect both cars...I chose one over the other...I have no regrets on my purchase and hope one day maybe I can own a terminator as well...Enjoy...

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
I went to 3 different dealers. The sticker on a on a Cobra coupe was around 36 and a Mach 1 was around 29-30 at all of them. The dealers around you must have really messed with the prices.

That's great. What's your point? My observations and statements about them are still valid.

Beetle6986 said:
Ego has nothing to do with it.

Ugh.. ya right.

Beetle6986 said:
What I was driving at is why did you buy a GT and modify it to be faster than a Mach instead of paying the extra money to buy a Mach.

I bought a Mach1 because it was in my price range and I really loved the looks. Modifying this car to be faster than a Cobra was nowhere in my mind then, and it is nowhere in my mind now.

Beetle6986 said:
Which one will handle more?

Weren't we talking about making power? If you re-read what I stated, then you will see that I already mentioned the endurance factor, which is another subject.

Beetle6986 said:
I won't respond anymore, apparently this thread has been here before and people are tire of it.

Excellent, then I'm probably done here as well.

Last edited:

Peter

Established Member
This really is ridiculous....I really think it comes down to personel preferences, to me the Mach1 was my choice...and it was not a question of money...I simply loved the Mach1....but I can see how other people will love there Cobra's. :banana:

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
going to edmunds.com and comparing prices on an 03 Cobra Vs 03 Mach 1, the Mach will be anywhere from 3800 to 4900 cheaper than the Cobra..

this is assuming the Mach has 5 speed and dosn't have the aluminum interior..

for that 4900 could you make the Mach faster than the Cobra, hell yes you could.. but you can't make it faster and make it reliable, it will break more than the Cobra, and then the Cobra for a lot less will be back to beating the Mach, and it will be doing it without worrying about breaking anything..(just keep it away from wheel hop)

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
just bought my mach 1...we may not be as quick as u cobras but we cna hold out own...lol...abuot to drop a cobra s/c on mine...gotta love that roots style whine

Users who are viewing this thread