'04 Cobra questions

Stanged96

Established Member
I recently purchased an '04 Cobra and had a couple questions about the car. First off I have heard that these cars have a fair share of problems, I have already had problems with the supercharger on my car. The dealership took excellent care of my car and replaced the supercharger within two days; they gave me twice daily updates on the vehicle. I have no problem with the service I recieved, it was phenominal I have never recieved this level of service from this dealer before, but I am left wondering, are supercharger problems a common problem with these cars. It sounded like the supercharger had some bearing noise, but I was not told specifically what was wrong with the supercharger because they were not authorized to tear it apart.

Now for the second question, included in my paper work with my car was a laminated 5" by 8" card that stated my car had been road tested and certified to be defect free by SVT. I was wondering if everyone else had recieved the same thing?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Blakers01GT

Established Member
how many miles were on your car when you bought it? and if I were you I would want to know EXACTLY what was wrong with my supercharger, I would talk to them just to find out. but either way it's under warranty and they fixed it, so you can't be unhappy there as you stated.

as far as the red laminated certificate, I got one of those too, my car had exactly 30 miles on it when I bought it. it pretty much means when people would come to test drive the cars, they test drove yours. It didn't bother me since it WAS inspected and the car is under warranty, and the dealer ALWAYS goes with the driver, especially when it's a cobra, or any SVT.

Stanged96

Established Member
My car had 17 miles on it when I purchased it. It went into service for the noise with 190 miles on it. They assured me that nothing had come apart internally so there was no reason to fear that metal had gone into the engine.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
My cobra had 18 miles on it when I got it and when I asked the dealer they explained to me that it was pulled off the line to be test driven to insure it was to factory specs.

TRBO VNM

I have the laminated thing to and also another sticker that said it was pulled at the factory randomly for a test drive and written that 29 miles were put on it.

This is the first post I have read that someone had a problem with the supercharger. My 04 seems a lot better than my 03 did so far.

Gray Snake

Established Member
My 04 was also chosen at random for a test drive. It had 20.5 miles on it when I bought it. I have noticed that the supercharger is louder on the 04 than my 03. It seems to have a louder "whine" to it. The 04 seems as strong as my 03 performance wise though, just more supercharger whine on the 04.

RossSVT

Established Member
I think you will find that most of the 04's were pulled off of the line and tested. Up to 48 miles in some cases. There was a thread on delivery mileage some time ago. I spoke to a very large SVT dealer and he told me that due to the tick and clunking issues on 03's SVT made a decision to test all 04's. This was especially true in the last run of cars built.

I have not had any issues with the supercharger. I do have a squeel in the idler pully though. Stock pully for now.

Users who are viewing this thread