04 Cobra...how much nitrous can she handle?

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
I recently got an 04 Cobra with less then 20k on her. It has Stage III ported blower, pulleys, all the normal supporting mods...dont know if it has bigger injectors, but it does have the boost-a-pump. Anyways the internals are stock. It has a full nitrous express wet kit installed. What shot is safe on this setup? (I bought the car from a dealer that knew even less then me about it) Paperwork said it was adjustable from 50-350 but Im not wanting to scatter my engine into a million pieces. This is my first foray into domestics...my old cars were TT Supras and 300z's. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. :beer:

Digital

Established Member
From my experience and recent issues I've seen from big power nitrous cars I wouldent take it over a 100 shot.

I ran a 150 for a little bit and a friend of mine ran a 175. A guy that comes to the shows that I see now and then that also posts here has ran a 225 for a decent amount of time on a small KB as well.
But I wouldent run anything over 100 if I did it over again.

The problem with nitrous that I see the most at shops down here with cobras is that it ends up melting the side of the piston causing it to collapse inside the cyl. The extreme heat from such a big shot on top of the hot high boost of the eaton makes for a rough situation.

On the other hand there are plenty of people here who are running 75-125 shots with 14-17psi on the eaton for 20-30k miles no problem and that's the route I'd go if I were you.

Also check the color of your injectors, if they're blue they're probably stock, if they're black they're upgraded and most likely 60s. Unless you go over 650-700rwhp 60s are good. Anything over 500 or so you'll want to get the 60s.

IMO you should find out if it has a lower pulley & pull the blower and make sure it's ported and run the serial number inside past steig to verify the port #.
I would check to see what mods it has on it, intake, exhaust, upper pulley, etc, then throw a very small upper (2.76, etc) on it, get a 100mm upper idler, exhaust, intake, etc.

Then take it to a dyno shop and have them dyno it with a 100 shot asuming you have the upgraded injectors. You should run about 600rwhp.
Then you can play with tires and suspention.

GL.

Last edited:

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking around a 75-100 shot max cause I dont want to spend money for new pistons. My injectors are blue so I assume they are stock...where is a good place to buy some bigger ones at? Why would you recommend the 60's over the 42's? Im very new to Mustangs so I dont really know which shops have the best deals. Thanks again.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
he recommends the 60's over the 42's because they are bigger and can flow more fuel, thus alowing you to make more power. Its always better to play it safe with the fuel than take your chances and go lean then detonate. Then you will have to replace more than just your pistons........

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
I understand having too much is better then having too little, but arent the 60's harder to tune and less street friendly? (thats how it was when going big on my SupraTT)

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The 42's won't be any better than the stock 39lb injectors. If you're going with a wet shot your stock injectors will be fine provided you have enough room on blower only. A 75-125 shot will be just fine on the car and be a nice kick in the pants.

EX1

Established Member
i have seen anywhere from 50-200 on 03/04 cobras. If its not going to be a DD car then i say spray the house down lol. Honestly a 100 shot is probably going to be more than enough for you.

Last edited:

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
The 42's won't be any better than the stock 39lb injectors. If you're going with a wet shot your stock injectors will be fine provided you have enough room on blower only. A 75-125 shot will be just fine on the car and be a nice kick in the pants.

Holy crap you have killer numbers....I think our mods are near identical...if I can crack 500rwhp w/o nitrous I will be happy as sh*t. If I can get close to your numbers with a 75....nice.... Thanks for the information...I was thinking the cobras stock inj's were 32's....told you i didnt know much about the car lol.

Is there any benefit to running 110? This isnt going to be a daily so using a 110 tune is no biggie if it will make a significant difference.

red9450

Established Member
If you are going to go big with the spray, tune it for race gas....Helps combat the very high cyl. temps....

twhitey

Established Member
A couple people down here run a 200 shot. I run a 100 dry shot. You should be fine with anything between a 75 and a 125.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
geez if that chart is right im screwed. lol....unless mine has bigger injectors and I dont know it. It does have a BAP though. Looks like injectors are gonna be the next upgrade...anyone else has any advice before I dyno/tune tomorrow please dont hesistate to let me know.

Last edited:

red9450

Established Member
I would do 60lbers and a BA2400 MAF to be safe. the stock 39s wont cut it....

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Alright well the tuning session didnt go so hot. The SCT 4bank chip needs to be reprogrammed (too lean up top) and he cant do SCT's so I gotta use a different chip. However with the tune that was in it she made 441rwhp/461rwtq(spiked 481 when it spun on the dyno) no nitrous mustang dyno. The stock MAF was also hitting 6v making the 5v computer go wonky so im gettin an MAI and new tune on sunday. We are also gonna hook up the nitrous and start at 50 and work to 100 if its still lookin good. Thanks again everyone for your input/help will post up what she does Sunday night. If anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime let me know. My tuner did recommend i dont do much playing past 2nd gear til I get it back to him lol. (im gonna take his advice)

Users who are viewing this thread