04 Cobra; Factory Wheels; Chrome bubbling, flaking off

cobra4v04

Established Member
My 04 Cobra has 14,000 miles and the factory Chrome wheels have been a let down since new.
I have already had two wheels replaced by the dealer due to chrome bubbling around the lug nut holes. Now I have two other wheels that have large spots on the inner painted area where the chrome has peeled/flaked off and left a badly corroded aluminum surface. There are dozens of areas where the chrome is bubbling or has completely peeled off, I took the worse of the two wheels and cleaned the paint off the inner wheel and can't believe how poor of a job the Chrome is.

Anyone else having this happen? Some of these spots are the size of a dime and some of the larger spots are a rough circle of maybe 3-4" in diameter. What concerns me is that the bubbling/peeling is in areas that are just at the edge of the face of the wheel and eventually the flaking will be evident on the face of the wheel.

I had planned to strip the paint off the inner wheels but after doing one and seeing how bad the chrome is I don't want to bother. I plan on having the dealer order me a set of new wheels that I will inspect before putting them on, If not I'll arrange for some set of monetary offset on purchasing some different wheels. I think I paid $695 for the chrome wheel option and they are not worth $100.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've heard of this problem in the past. Seems to affect some more than others. Reminds me of the bubbling I had with my Infiniti QX4 wheels. Took me almost 8 months to finally get the factory to replace them under warranty. I now have noticed my wife's Mazda Millenia's wheels are doing the same thing. One common factor other than the same roads is the fact that I heated my garage with a vent-free propane heater the past two winters and I am wondering if the close propane system was the culprit. Just to play it safe I'm not going to use the heater this year.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
I haven't had a problem after 2 1/2 years 12K miles, but I think I will be on the lookout now.

cobra4v04

Established Member
The dealer didn't give me a hard time the first time.
I took some pictures for those that are curious as to what I'm describing, some spots are obviously bare aluminum while others are bubbling up like rust.

Seems to me that when the 2003 Cobra was announced the chrome wheels were supposed to be an option for that year but were withdrawn prior to the release of the 2003 Cobra. Had heard a rumor about Ford not being able to procure the chrome wheels in time for the model release, possibly the first runs of wheels were not up to quality levels needed?

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1775886

FKing1

Established Member
If you have peeling around the lug holes be on the lookout for a slow air pressure leak. Mine bubbled on the bead seat and caused a leak. Had the tire dismounted and the bead seat ground.
Fred

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
"They all do that"...eventually.

Chromium plating is not the silver part...chromium is clear. The shiny silver is nickel.

Nickel and the substrate (aluminum, in this case) expand and contract at different rates. Over a period of time this will cause the chromium plating to crack and eventually leave the substrate, taking the nickel with it.

The process will be hastened by a nick, ding, or scratch. It's not at all surprising to hear that it started around the lug nut holes. This can be caused by careless minimum wage tire busters at your local tire store.

The only way I can combat this is by dismounting and remounting my wheels myself, and taking them only to people I trust to have tires mounted who I *know* will not scratch or ding my wheels. 3 years, so far so good...no problems.

Chromium plating lasts longest on steel, where the rates of expansion have the least differential.

After all...chromium plating only recently was made to look good. It was originally conceived as a rust preventer...just like paint, only more durable :shrug:

04MC

Established Member
Interesting ... I am actually happy with the quality of the chrome on my wheels, but will look out - hopefully it won't happen to any of my wheels.

Let us know what the dealer says/offers. Curious.

Users who are viewing this thread