04 Cobra at October Texas Mile

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Probably more than he wants to think about. LOL.

Nice run back in October. Best of luck this year!

04torchred

Established Member
I would be curious to know what was letting go in your engines? Was it a ring gap issues and being too tight? I would think for extended length pulls you would be setting the rings looser and trying to build the motor for a strong midrange power curve.

Can you share if your intercooler mods were like the j2fab setup with larger inlet and outlet tubes to increase flow through the intercooler?
Car looks great, HPP did a lot of your work back in the day didn't they?

Oh and what are your brake upgrades to help slow down minus the chute?

94slowbra1

Established Member
my first thought was aero! these cars just arent built for 200 mph but i love seeing it. also curious about brakes and i/c mods. good luck this year!

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Wow, nearly 200. Well done, you should be proud.
Any idea how much $$$ you have spent building all the engines?

Probably more than he wants to think about. LOL.

Nice run back in October. Best of luck this year!

Thanks fellas. Yeah, wayyyyy too much.. Back in the day, you could get a motor built for 6-7k. It's gotten a lot more expensive.

Man I love seeing a 04 running almost 200!!! Nice runs! Makes me really miss my 03 now..

Thanks!

I would be curious to know what was letting go in your engines? Was it a ring gap issues and being too tight? I would think for extended length pulls you would be setting the rings looser and trying to build the motor for a strong midrange power curve.

Can you share if your intercooler mods were like the j2fab setup with larger inlet and outlet tubes to increase flow through the intercooler?
Car looks great, HPP did a lot of your work back in the day didn't they?

Oh and what are your brake upgrades to help slow down minus the chute?

Pistons most of the time (do not recall exactly what). Crankshaft snout once. And cracked crankshaft the last time. The intercooler mods consist of a giant pump and ice tank (holds 80 lbs of ice) in the trunk. No mods to the inlet and outlet tubes.

Yes, this car was an HPP Racing car for a really long time. Moved to Austin, worked with TrueStreet Motorsports for awhile after that (they work on some of my other cars still), and just recently went to M2k for their expertise in this area.

For brakes, just some SS lines, good rotors, and good pads. I do not even use the parachute.

my first thought was aero! these cars just arent built for 200 mph but i love seeing it. also curious about brakes and i/c mods. good luck this year!

Thanks! Brakes and I/C mods discussed above.

Hopefully have some updated power numbers soon! More boost and cut-outs going on now.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Update! Car is back from M2K and in the garage. Final number was 876 rwhp. Under two weeks until the mile!

upload_2019-3-14_4-48-46.png

2003 Venomous

Established Member
Cars looks great! I am planning to head out to the TX Mile event myself as I am relatively local; not racing though. I have an 03 that I am trying to finish; just went with J2Fab IC mod myself and some aero tricks. I will look you up when I am there and pick your brain if you don't mind as my goal is TX Mile 200MPH club.

94slowbra1

Established Member
876 is some serious power. i still think one of the biggest things holding these cars back from big top end is aero. i do admire that yours still appears like a stock car from the outside. cant wait to hear what she does!

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
That looks like a blast! I hope you get to 200 safely! What are your IAT2’s looking like after a mile of WOT? My car use to feel really light up front around 150 so I never went past that again after that one run.

How does it feel at that speed? I remeber getting mine in the 150mph range once (in Mexico) and that was the last time I ever did that. I could feel the air lifting the car.

Same here. Scary feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread