03svt cobra vs z06

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
EDIN;

Well, it handles better than my roommates Viper :)
It's f*n great! I've done over 1Gs circles --- but its when you do a circle, then instantly go the other way that seperates the boys from the men----and Viper vs Me (in this instance--so no flames please) ---- prob is, its gotta be an ultra-smooth surface...big bumps make you go :-( and think you are going to lose control. I never have, but it sure seems like I was very close to it.

I did it in various stages... totaling about 3.5K I'd say, but I also had the chassis stiffening, chip and tuning done too, so maby minus 400 or so.

RE:
>[iSEPIC], if you dont mind me asking, but, how does your car >handle with the griggs setup? I want to do a full suspension to, >but there are so many choices that throw me off. I was leaning >toward Kenny Brown or Maximum Motorsports. BTW, if you dont >mind, what did that setup cost you to purchase, and to install? >Thanks, Edin

fangstang

Established Member
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to describe the handling. Thats pretty expensive, but I like my cars to handle as well if not better then they accelerate, so I guess its not too bad. Can the suspension be done in seperate stages?

hantzis

Established Member
Originally posted by 02SVTF150

Few corrections there hotshot. Car and Driver of all people ran a 4.5 0-60 time. I'm sure others like MM&FF could do better. Especially in the 1/4 mile.

As for power, have you been in a hole? I think it's pretty clear by now that the Cobra is rediculously underrated. We're looking at 420+ crank horsepower at least. 370+ at the wheels.

Not corrections 02SVTF150 - The official 0-60 time for the 03 Cobra reported by SVT is 4.9 seconds. The official 0-60 time for the 02 Z06 reported by Chevy is 3.9 seconds.

And my point is to argue the Z06 is a better overall performance vehicle. My 03 cobra coupe should arrive this week. I love the car and am a huge Ford fan, but I say things how they are. If you try to argue wtih anyone outside of this community that the 03 Cobra is a better performance car than the Z06 vette, they will laugh at you.

fangstang

Established Member
I dont know why everyone is still comparing the two. They are totally different cars. The ZO6 is a complete sports car. It can do anything just as good if not better then the competition. The 2003 on the other hand is a refined muscle car with SOME sports car characteristics. I'm sure it will handle very well for a mustang, but no way will it handle anywhere near the ZO6. I'm not bashing, I'm just speaking the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts. I'll be happy with my car anyway. I dont car if a ZO6 is faster, handles better, brakes better. Our cobras will be the best MUSCLE car ever.

B

blown03cobra

GIVE ME A SET OF KENNY BROWN SUBFRAMES, AND A 60 DOLLAR PULLEY,,,,,,,,, Z0__ SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.... dont get me wrong I love Vetts (have a 74 stingray vert) but cmon....... we may be talking about apples and oranges but once you get under the skin,,,,,,,,,,, It shows what the Cobra is all about baby

02SVTF150

Wish I had my username
Established Member
Originally posted by hantzis

Not corrections 02SVTF150 - The official 0-60 time for the 03 Cobra reported by SVT is 4.9 seconds. The official 0-60 time for the 02 Z06 reported by Chevy is 3.9 seconds.

And my point is to argue the Z06 is a better overall performance vehicle. My 03 cobra coupe should arrive this week. I love the car and am a huge Ford fan, but I say things how they are. If you try to argue wtih anyone outside of this community that the 03 Cobra is a better performance car than the Z06 vette, they will laugh at you.

Umm, SVT does a thing that's called being conservative. SVT says their Lightning will do 60 in 5.8 yet car and driver pulls a 5.2 easy. They might say 4.9 for the 03 Cobra but Car and Driver does 4.5.

Chevy may say 3.9 for the Z06 yet Car and Driver has never hit less than 4.3 with a Z06. This is the 2002 we're talking about.

Am I making sense yet lad? :idea: Would you rather listen to the manufacturer or a real person driving the automobile?

Think about that for awhile. Let it absorb ;-)

TIAMAT

Established Member
The z06 has more technology than the cobra. The 03 cobra is alot better when considering the price and price of very productive mods.

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by TIAMAT
The z06 has more technology than the cobra. The 03 cobra is alot better when considering the price and price of very productive mods.

more tech as in how???? SVT has studied their stuff.... this may be dumb sounding but one of the obvious ones is the coil per cylinder

verbs

Banned
Originally posted by hantzis

You said it.. You can't compare these cars. The Z06 is overall a MUCH better performance car.

When you start talking about mods, you are again comparing apples to oranges. I can take a $14,000 civic, spend a few thousand in mods and keep up with the more expensive performance coupes. And doing this is fine, but when comparing the cars, we should compare them in their stock trim. Otherwise we are again talking about an apples to oranges comparison. The Z06 excels over the Cobra in

1. balance
2. weight distribution
3. horsepower
4. torque
5. 0-60 times
6. 1/4 mile times
7. skidpad
8. cornering
9. braking

I recommend starting with the regular C5 before you mess with its big brother.
You got that right!!! I'm sick of seeing these Z06 vs. Cobra threads when Cobras are not even in the same league.

verbs

Banned
Originally posted by 02SVTF150

Umm, SVT does a thing that's called being conservative. SVT says their Lightning will do 60 in 5.8 yet car and driver pulls a 5.2 easy. They might say 4.9 for the 03 Cobra but Car and Driver does 4.5.

Chevy may say 3.9 for the Z06 yet Car and Driver has never hit less than 4.3 with a Z06. This is the 2002 we're talking about.

Am I making sense yet lad? :idea: Would you rather listen to the manufacturer or a real person driving the automobile?

Think about that for awhile. Let it absorb ;-)
Yeah SVT was really conservative when it said their 99 Cobras put out 320hp, when in fact they maybe were at 300-305hp. :rolleyes:

Who gives a rats ass what car and driver says. Road and track says the Z06 runs a 13.1@111mph in the 1/4 mile, but people in real life have run low 12's@116mph bone stock with them.

road and track also lists the Camaro SS's as doing 1/4 miles in [email protected] MM&FF has the same year SS doing a 12.9@110 bone stock.

So who you gonna believe???

Who gives a crap what magazines say. Some are biased, some are wrong, conditions of the road tests usually aren't even mentioned.

Those who believe the times they read are ignorant.

verbs

Banned
Originally posted by GTto03
hantzis,
What if I were to tell you that for $1500. in mods you would have a guaranteed to safely run 500rwhp and 500+rwtq?
And a voided warranty.

I would lay any money you want that the Cobra will have better numbers in RWHP and RWTQ than the 02 Z06 on the dyno....in stock form... The Cobra is under rated bigtime.... If I would have bought the Z06 to get spanked by a slightly modded Cobra... I would have never forgiven myself..
An 02/03 Z06 will never get spanked by an stock 03 cobra. Sorry, but not gonna happen given equal drivers. Sure the Cobra is under-rated and will put down maybe 390rwhp, but in a car that is 500lbs heavier than a Z06, and with inferior gearing and aerodynamics. Once again it'll take more horsepower just to get the Cobras moving due to the extra weight it has to lug around.

I know that you can mod a Z06 also..., but that is very expensive and requires major engine work... Tearing it apart ...heads..cams ect.....
Some owners are happy running a 150 wet shot and trapping 130mph. All for a whopping $600.

As far as bolt ons go, you can get around 410-420rwhp with just bolt-ons, still retain your factory warranty, and be running hi 11's all day long. I'd like to see that happen in a Cobra without adding a chip or pulley which will void your warranty. Some people are just into that warranty thing.

hantzis

Established Member
Statistically on paper, the Z06 is a faster car; almost 600 pounds less and approximatley the same horsepower(benefit of doubt that the Cobra HP is under-rated)

A valid point was made about different tracks, different conditions = non accurate results, but no one wanted to listen to the specs, so I turned to the next proof that the Z06 is faster, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. It seems no matter what proof I bring to the table in this thread, some arguement is made to disprove THE FACTS. Well, I've presented both 1/4 mile times/stats/ and logistics proving the Z06 is faster, but all of this was rejected. I'm a bit dissapointed that many of you are on such an 03 Hype that you can't see through the fog. When a Z06 takes you (and I'm not saying by much), but when one does, then maybe you guys will see what I'm talking about.

No disrespect to anyone, just my honest opinion on all of this.

Last edited:

hantzis

Established Member
Hantzis,

If I were to race a Z06 on the way home from the dealership... I would get pulled for sure..... We are just excited to compete for a change.... I will win some and lose some against the Z06 crowd thats for sure and someone will always be faster... I beat a few Z06 cars in my supercharged 00GT putting down 420RWHP at the wheels.... so they can be beat especially with a good driver (that car only trapped 112...) I pulled 12.4...

I know there is a lot of hype, but it is nice to have something to get excited about....

I will say again that in stock form the Z06 is faster, but once the modding starts all bets favor the Cobra.... $80.00 = 450rwhp/450... That can't be ignored! I have a feeling that just about everybody will be swapping that pulley.... How many stock Mustangs do you see on the Mustang forums/Z06 Forums?

I have raced them over 30 times at the track in my GT......, so I doubt they will surprise me... I have seen 10-13 sec runs with them...... dependening on mods.....

I agree. Before the pulley, I will be throwing on a Magnaflow catback. I'm guessing this will free up close to 10rwhp.

Last edited:

verbs

Banned
Verbs,

The voided warranty... I don't think so... I had my enntire engine replaced on my 2000 Gt under warranty with a Votrtech/Aftercooler... It won't take long to swap the lower pullies ect... What is safer a 150 shot of Nos on a high compression engine or 12 pounds of boos on 8:5 compression... mmmmm????
Regardless of what you have done, I could get a Vortech warrantied by my dealer to. A pulley swap on a Cobra and a chip will void the warranty. Show me a dealer that allows pulley swaps.

As far as 410 to the wheels without a chip pulles.... yep... Call Pauls performance..... 400 to the wheels without changing the headers just took the stock pipe off for dyno.....
I am well aware of this. I'm sure the Z06 would pick up some power running an open exhaust manifold as well.

What bolt ons will give you 50RWHP and 50RWTQ in the Z06?
Intake, headers, catless xpipe, exhaust cutout, pullies, aluminum flywheel. That would be closer to 60rwhp of a power gain. I picked up 60rwhp in just bolt-ons on a car with a much smaller cam and more restrictive heads (an LS1)

Just think... It takes $80.dollars to make a New Cobra beat an 02 Z06..... 119 trap speed 451rwp and 455rwtq.....
Great, so a voided warranty will get you a 119mph trap speed. Since Z06's are trapping 116mph stock, a simple $30 cutout and intake for a grand total of $200-$250 will get you the same 119mph trap speed, while maintaining full factory warranty.

I am into the warranty thing as well, but it is alot easier to hide increased boost on a supercharged car vs hiding a 150 shot of NOS...on a NA.... Besides with 8:5 compression we can do that 150 shot as well... then wanna race? You will lose the boost war with the new Cobras they are built like a brick sh$# house!
You could take out nitrous just as easy as you could a pulley (pulley would be quicker IMO)....and I guarantee you the computers have a way of recording boost pressure, and I'm sure dealerships will be able to scan the Cobra's CPU to see how much boost was run at a given time.

Please crank up your boost and run a 150 wet shot, and see what happens to your tranny......I'm sure something else would break as well.....I'm sure that 700rwtq would go over really well.

DLV

Established Member
Classification

This whole thing smacks to me of that... What was his name? Mitchell Davidson or some such... the now famous gent who had his 'vette worked by a modded Civic. Anybody can make a car go faster with forced induction, but you can't make an econocar a sports car. The Cobra has yet to be placed in the same category as the Corvette. Maybe with the next body style, Ford will close the gap. That's not to say the Cobra's won't beat some Z06's, hell, some Civics can beat my Cobra, but they're still Civics. And a Cobra is still a Cobra. Why is this a bad thing? Because I can drive my kids around in it when I don't want to drive like a madman? Because it won't handle as well on an autocross track I'm never going to race on? Because when I tell people I own a Cobra they don't conjure up images of Ron Jeremy, gold chains and silk v-necks? j/k Seriously, I don't know which is worse, forced induction or pushrod. Hell, even the Viper is a big dose of brute force and ignorance, in the engine department. Ahhh, somebody just build me an FR500. I'm too lazy to do it myself.;-)

verbs

Banned
I think what too many Ford owners don't understand (judging by the title of this thread and numerous others that I've seen), is that the only way an 03 Cobra can even hang with a Z06 in any performance category is to mod it.

Once you start comparing modded 03 Cobras vs. Stock Z06's, the argument becomes a waste.

The only category the Cobra can realistically hang with the Z06 in without having to shell out some serious $$$ is straight line acceleration.

That is not all that there is to a car, and it seems too many people forget that.

The Cobra won't even come close to handling like a Z06, or even braking as quickly.

No one mentions gas mileage at all, but the Z06 gets 19/28mpg vs. 15/24-25mpg or something similar to that.

Basically, the Cobra is more comparible stock for stock performance wise with a C5, not a Z06.

verbs

Banned
Ok... we said that already.. But if you take a stock Z06 and I get a 03Cobra... We both get to spend $150.00 I will dust you in a straight line.... When I pass you you can rave about your braking ability and handling....

If you want to take me up on this, I will be willing to lay money on it....
No one is doubting this.

But the fact of the matter is that the only category the Cobra can compare to the Z06 is racing in a straight line. If going in a straight line is so important, and we are talking about going faster for cheap, then why don't we start comparing 89 Foxbodies with blown 347 strokers to Z06's!!!

02SVTF150

Wish I had my username
Established Member
Originally posted by verbs
No one is doubting this.

But the fact of the matter is that the only category the Cobra can compare to the Z06 is racing in a straight line. If going in a straight line is so important, and we are talking about going faster for cheap, then why don't we start comparing 89 Foxbodies with blown 347 strokers to Z06's!!!

Alrighty, how often do you line up to a red light, agree to go on green and take a left at the next corner? :bored:

Here in Michigan, the big spots on friday nights are gratiot and woodward. Everyone brings the baddest automobile they have to the streets and do straight line blasts on the green.

The 03 Cobra is going to be owning street racing for quite some time due to a $80 change. You talk about warranty? How hard would it be to just put the old pulley right back on there? :rolleyes:

Sure, if you take a Z06 vs a Cobra on a twisty track race, yah the Cobra will get handed its ass. But I'm not sure a whole lot of people are getting an 03 Cobra for that purpose. :shrug:

Bottom line is, in street races the 03 Cobra is going to be king shit for quite some time. People are going to be seeing alot of Cobra tail lights. All for around $35 grand or less. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread