03svt cobra vs z06

svt03

Established Member
How would these two match up in a race opinions please

StangD281

Established Member
If both stock, and depending on the driver, the Z06 should edge out. Traction is a big issue in this race. But our mods our cheaper & will add more power putting the SVT on top. Unless its an old idiot Vette driver who needs his cane to push the clutch, its the only street car next to a Viper that has more for the SVT than the SVT has for them. Bolt on a mid-pipe & mufflers & it should be all Cobra....

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Apples vs. Oranges, IMO...

(This question has been posted and hashed and rehashed on about a dozen boards the last couple of months, so forgive the "brush-off" response, I'm just personally tired of it :) )

Everyone else: have at it. Keep it civil, please.

StangD281

Established Member
Jimbo's right, but what fun would a forum be without this question?!?!? I, personally, am looking forward to handing Vette owners their asses with a modded 03 Cobra. All cars are different; "The Big Fish" put it best on a post when he said "Anything can be made faster." That applies to both cars, and to many factors involved. The Z is a mover, but you never what is done under the hood of their cars, you just have to be confident in what is done under yours. Good kill stories to come from all, and I can't wait to read em'!!!!

svt03

Established Member
how much should i be prepared to spend for mid pipe and mufflers

StangD281

Established Member
depends on the brands...
For mid pipes check out the Bassani X, BBK H-pipe, etc. That is roughly $400-$500 in some cases. The mufflers, well I'll be buying the Borla Race mufflers which is a $700 cat-back set. You can pick up Flowmasters, Dynomax, Bassani for $300+. All matters on what kind of power/torque you want to pick up, as well as the flow-thru feature & the sound. Headers are something I have not had experience, but from what I hear it was practically pulling out the motor to get the damn things on! They add power & a deep sound though...but like I said, its all in what you are aiming for with the car. Best of luck with it....

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
Jimbo's right, but what fun would a forum be without this question
StangD, when I was posting, your reply wasn't up yet...I thought I was going to be first :-D You're right, it is the ubiquitous question on the boards. I'm humored and flattered that the '03 is being compared to a $50K+ vette...:-D

svt03, I know Bassani is working on an X-pipe for the '03, I haven't heard how much,yet. "Mid pipe" and mufflers will run $500-$1000 (and pricier, if you want). Speed costs $$$, how fast do you want to go? :coolman: Rumor is the "plug" is the catback, not the H-pipe. FR500 (or stock '01 Cobra, apparently) should wake the motor up. Stock '01 catback is around $300, I believe the FR500 is $695.

HTH

StangD281

Established Member
I heard the same thing about "the plug" being the mufflers. Without the h-pipe & mufflers on the car, it was dyno'ed at 400rwhp at PHP. There's a dyno sheet floating around saying the car does 378rwhp (i think thats the number???), so if thats the case, you pick up close to 20rwhp with the change of "the plug". NOW THAT WILL TAKE OUT THE Z06!!!!!

hantzis

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
Apples vs. Oranges, IMO...

You said it.. You can't compare these cars. The Z06 is overall a MUCH better performance car.

When you start talking about mods, you are again comparing apples to oranges. I can take a $14,000 civic, spend a few thousand in mods and keep up with the more expensive performance coupes. And doing this is fine, but when comparing the cars, we should compare them in their stock trim. Otherwise we are again talking about an apples to oranges comparison. The Z06 excels over the Cobra in

1. balance
2. weight distribution
3. horsepower
4. torque
5. 0-60 times
6. 1/4 mile times
7. skidpad
8. cornering
9. braking

I recommend starting with the regular C5 before you mess with its big brother.

hantzis

Established Member
Originally posted by GTto03
Hantzis,

I agree with you to a point stock vs stock the Z06 will win and most of the time I think it is apples to oranges comparing a stock vs modded car... However when the car is so easy to mod IE:Cheap pulley and is able to surpass the other car in straightline I look at that differently... When you think of a Toyota Supra...Do you think of the 13.5-7 car that it is stock... I don't!!!!!!!! Or the Grand Nationals? Heck No!!!!!!!!!! Because they are so easy to mod to be so fast with no money.. Thats why 7 out of 10 will just lay a butt whippin on most..... And for handling.. I have never raced anyone in the twisties... When all they see is my tailights I hope they keep telling themself that they have better brakes and that they can handle better because I know that won't be on my mind.. Just a fat smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I agree with you that from a value perspective, you are getting the best bang for your buck in straight line performance. And with the right mods on this car, the horsepower gains will prove even a better bang for your buck. From the content of this thread, the title doesn't match well, "Z06 Vs. 03 Cobra"
A similar comparison would be, "01 Cobra vs. 01 BMW 328i"
I guess i just don't like the title ;-)

Last edited:

StangD281

Established Member
Are you secretly deep down a Corvette owner????? How is this not a comparison???? The Cobra and the BMW WOULD BE apples to oranges, but the vette & this cobra ARE comparable. How can you say that they are not?? :shrug:

hantzis

Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
Are you secretly deep down a Corvette owner????? How is this not a comparison???? The Cobra and the BMW WOULD BE apples to oranges, but the vette & this cobra ARE comparable. How can you say that they are not?? :shrug:

lol. No I'm not secretly a Corvette owner. I can understand comapring the C5 and 03 Cobra, but not the Z06.

Skidpad:
Z06 1G
Cobra .90G

0-60:
Z06 3.9 Seconds
Cobra 4.9 Seconds

Power:
Z06 405hp pulling 3100 pounds
Cobra 390hp pulling 3600 pounds

Braking 60-0:
Z06 106 feet
Cobra ~130 feet

I am comparing the this to the 02 Z06. The 01 Z06 is a closer comparison.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
Just wait till those vets see our 320 lbft of torque at just off idle!

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't think its APPLES to ORANGES anymore...
Maybe Green apples to Red Delicous Apples.... this year :)

02SVTF150

Wish I had my username
Established Member
Originally posted by hantzis

lol. No I'm not secretly a Corvette owner. I can understand comapring the C5 and 03 Cobra, but not the Z06.

0-60:
Z06 3.9 Seconds
Cobra 4.9 Seconds

Power:
Z06 405hp pulling 3100 pounds
Cobra 390hp pulling 3600 pounds

Few corrections there hotshot. Car and Driver of all people ran a 4.5 0-60 time. I'm sure others like MM&FF could do better. Especially in the 1/4 mile.

As for power, have you been in a hole? I think it's pretty clear by now that the Cobra is rediculously underrated. We're looking at 420+ crank horsepower at least. 370+ at the wheels.

fangstang

Established Member
Originally posted by [iSEPIC]
I don't think its APPLES to ORANGES anymore...
Maybe Green apples to Red Delicous Apples.... this year :)

[iSEPIC], if you dont mind me asking, but, how does your car handle with the griggs setup? I want to do a full suspension to, but there are so many choices that throw me off. I was leaning toward Kenny Brown or Maximum Motorsports. BTW, if you dont mind, what did that setup cost you to purchase, and to install? Thanks, Edin:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread