03 vs Newer BMW M5

QuicksilverC5

Established Member
I've raced and driven both.

I'd say a stock Cobra would ever-so-slightly pull up top, but the M5 would already have 2+ cars on launch. They hook up SO much better than 03's or Vettes for that matter.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by QuicksilverC5
I'd say a stock Cobra would ever-so-slightly pull up top, but the M5 would already have 2+ cars on launch.
Riiiiight...

I'll believe Treynor:

Originally posted by treynor
FWIW, I used to own a '00 M5 (I know, I know, that Treynor guy has all the toys). It was quick for a 4-door, but given equal drivers a stock Terminator would walk it from a stop or a roll.

CobraTone

Established Member
Dangit! I have yet to come across either a m3 or m5! I never get any good races!

Although I did roast a guy who thought he was the sh*t in his 300 series. People actually think those cars are fast! :bash:

Tambini

Established Member
i raced an m5 but i had the pulley and chip on. lets just say i jumped on him and never looked back. a better race was when i ran into an e55 AMG. raced from 60 to about 135/140. at 140 his headlights where at my door.

davidmarquis

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
Dangit! I have yet to come across either a m3 or m5! I never get any good races!

Although I did roast a guy who thought he was the sh*t in his 300 series. People actually think those cars are fast! :bash:

Hey man...When I get into Gainesville in August we will have to meet up so you can race an M5. My dad has one and he lets me drive it from time to time when I visit. But till then I'll just sit around here in Korea and wish I was driving that or my truck.

D

CobraTone

Established Member
Originally posted by davidmarquis
Hey man...When I get into Gainesville in August we will have to meet up so you can race an M5. My dad has one and he lets me drive it from time to time when I visit. But till then I'll just sit around here in Korea and wish I was driving that or my truck.

D

Hehe, i hear ya bro. I've been in Germany since beginning of January, but finally heading home next week, so i can get my driving skills, or lack thereof, up to par. We'll definitely meet up when you get back. :beer:

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Originally posted by 97RedSnake
...that guy is now saying he thinks his brother-in-law's 540i would have beat the Cobra.

Well appearently someone in my neighborhood reads that forum. I noticed a late-model silver 540i track me down at a local stop light this morning. I though I noticed him weaving around traffic earlier, but was sure it was some guy running late for his kids soccer practice. We catch the next light together and I'm getting the vibe- that odd feeling that someone close by is in high-anxiety mode while the driver is looking straight ahead with a death grip on the steering wheel. Sure enough, the split second the light turns green he's off :nonono: By the top of 2nd he's about 4 cars back. Then follows at a distance before turning off into a subdivision.

Oh well, at least now there's one BMW forum reader who won't believe everything he reads :burnout:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by Cal
What is the visual difference between the 99/01 and the 03/04?

Two quickest ways....

Double reverse air inlets on the hood....
Spoiler is flush mounted to the rear deck....

I had a Buick Grand National mistake my '03 for an earlier Cobra.... he jumped bad.... even tried 4 times.... got slapped hard all four times.

I would suspect he went home and brushed up on his Snake Recognition. :p

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by ArizonaSnake
Two quickest ways....

Double reverse air inlets on the hood....
Spoiler is flush mounted to the rear deck....
Add body colored side-view mirrors (instead of all black)...

bones

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I matched up with a later model M5 yesterday but couldn't be sure. He didn't have any badges on the car. Just had the look though; lowered with fat tires and no chrome, just black trim. So I won't claim a kill but he tried to pull on me from the light and as soon as he heard the blower whine and the flows kick in he gave up. I tried to ask him what he had at the next light but he wouldn't answer just stared straight ahead. Prolly asking himself what happened.

It's good to be the king!!

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Originally posted by treynor
FWIW, I used to own a '00 M5 (I know, I know, that Treynor guy has all the toys). It was quick for a 4-door, but given equal drivers a stock Terminator would walk it from a stop or a roll. In the twisties, it would be a very close thing.
"Quick for a 4-door?" YOU SOLD THE GREATEST ALL-AROUND CAR EVER MADE?! :bash: Oh, well. :p You could have GIVEN it to me, at least... Whudya mean you wanted money toward your next car?

Enjoy the Vipers... :coolman:

--T.J.

P.S.--IIRC, Car & Driver had the following 0-60 times: '99-'02 M5, 4.8. E48 M3, 4.8. '03-'04 Cobra, 4.5.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Wait for the new M5. It's suppose to be awesome. I got to drive my brother's 2002 M5, and it's quite a car, but for what it cost, you could have two Cobras.

Last edited:

fre

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone

Lol I just ran into one of these on a two lane highway. It was a motorhome, an SUV, the 321i or whatever, and then me last. The SUV went for the pass and was pretty much around the motorhome and then I took off after him and right before I got to the bmw's tail he cut right in front of me and I had to brake pretty hard. So I am going half throttle because he is slow as hell. He passes the motorhome, then the SUV while I have to stay at partial throttle. Needless to say I walk passed him at about 90-100mph. I will admit he did get faster as we got higher up in speed (had to use 70% throttle instead of 50%), but he was a DOG starting off.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'll be watching out for them when they finally show up. They'll have their pick of 7 gears in which to lose :D

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I read in MM&FF that while testing the 03 with bolt ons they saw a M5 there with some crap on it run a best of 12.7 forget the MPH, anyways, nice car but don't see it terrorizing our lovely community.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
I will post over there with an offer to run..I'm about an hour away so we could meet up. Win or loose we shall see what he says...

Rog

Paul Vincent

Established Member
According to AutoWeek, The M5 for '06 has A V10 5.0 liter with 500 hp & 369 lb. of tq @ app. 3900 lbs, 7 speed sequential manual gear box (at $80,000 +).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread