03 vs Newer BMW M5

Blaizon

Established Member
Hello all,

I'm new to the boards but have been lurking forever :) I was wondering how stock 03's match up to M5's? I was reading Click Me and this M5 says he left it in 4th around 70 and pulled on the cobra hard. I don't beleive it but I'm wondering what you guys think.

Thanks!

Last edited:

smokey

Established Member
Stock v. stock, should be a driver's race with the obvious edge going to the Cobra. M5s can hit low 13s, maybe even high 12s. Cobra's can hit mid to high 12s, but obviously put in the hands of the wrong driver can easily dip into the 13s. Cobra should win, but ya never know on the street.

Pyro

Established Member
I've raced an M5 about a year ago before the pulley and dyno tune. I pulled pretty good on him. I'd love to see how much I pull on him how.

97RedSnake

Established Member
I clicked on that link. Thought about posting on that site, but i know it would just start some big flame war.

Anyway, that guy is now saying he thinks his brother-in-law's 540i would have beat the Cobra. Either the Cobra wasn't an '03-'04, the Cobra driver wasn't racing, or he didn't know how to drive.

An M5 is an awesome car, and i would love to own one. But this guy is talking like it was a joke how bad he beat that Cobra. My guess is that he raced a '99-'01 Cobra, and just doesn't know the difference.

Either way, he killed a Mustang....good for him. However, i wonder if he will post the story when he runs across one of the guys on here with a pullied and chipped '03? The outcome might be ever so slightly different. :D

Blaizon

Established Member
LOL, if he ran into some of the guys here I'm sure that tone would change quite abit. I felt the same way when I read that post. I'm thinking the cobra was just playing with him if it was a real 03, more than likely it was a 99/01. It would be hard to tell the difference if the driver wasn't up on the sublte changes between the years.

Cal

Established Member
What is the visual difference between the 99/01 and the 03/04?

Blaizon

Established Member
General differences are the rims they're a fatter star patter with a flush face, small decklid spoiler with led. The front bumper is wider down low by the fog lights & of course you will never mistake the sound of the blower!

Pyro

Established Member
...also the little "Supercharged" emblem on the right rear deck lid. (On my car at least:-D )

Wild Bill

Established Member
Sorry to tell ya BMW,but were going after bigger game...Mercedes! When you bring out your 500hp cars,we'll be glad to whip up on you again.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
> Sorry to tell ya BMW,but were going after bigger game...Mercedes!

b-b-b-b-b-b-Bring it :D

FWIW, I used to own a '00 M5 (I know, I know, that Treynor guy has all the toys). It was quick for a 4-door, but given equal drivers a stock Terminator would walk it from a stop or a roll. In the twisties, it would be a very close thing.

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
Originally posted by treynor
Ben ('01 Viper RT/10 [slow], '03 Viper SRT/10 [Liz's "chick car"], '03 MB S600 [boring family sedan

Any chance you're adopting?
:thumbsup:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
> Any chance you're adopting?

I checked with my 5-year-old. He still says "no" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread