'03 vs '04 cobra & warranty issues

Fleck 5

Established Member
Two comments and my reasons for them:

I have always heard that you should never purchase a car the first year it is produced because the manufacturer hasn't had a chance to work out the bugs.

My college buddy works for GM and he criticizes the Cobra because he feels that it was just "slapped together" by Ford and consequently has some issues.

One of the issues I have is the rear suspension. I think my buddy is right in that Ford just threw it in there without much thought. I have had it to the dealership 4 times for a creeking noise in the rear suspension and the noise keeps coming back. The wheel hop is an issue too. We shouldn't have to modify a stock car to eliminate a factory problem. Not only is the wheel hop an issue with the ride quality, but it breaks parts due to to its violent jerking of the drivetrain. I don't want to wait until I break something to fix the problem.

My questions:
What differences are there between the '03 and '04 Cobras the Ford has made to correct issues with the '03's? Didn't they change something in the rear suspension for the wheel hop? I am also having troubles with the hood closing and consquently I have some hairline cracks in the hood. My drivers side door does not line up correctly so ther are chips in the paint of the panel behind the door. I had the computer re-flashed to correct the stalling. The car doesn't start right 20% of the time.

The bottom line:
I want to go back to the dealership and have them upgrade my '03 to '04 specs on any of the problems I am having. I need to know what changes to push for.

a94cobra

Established Member
There isn't a change in the 03 to 04 specs on the IRS. The wheel hop is a problem, but not one the factory is gonna fix.

sam

Established Member
alot of your issues with the irs can be improved the the additions of weld in subframe connectors and the steeda irs subframe brackets. these's brackets from steeda are like 25.00 and from what ive read from members here, they say it really makes the irs more stable. the drivetrain parts used on the cobra are really the best choices that svt made for a mustang. what needed now is a few chassis upgrades that svt did not do.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I'm sure 99% of members here feel your pain on these issues, HOWEVER, this is not the only high power rated car that has issues from the factory and problems with dealers fixing them. Fortunately the Mustang aftermarket is so strong that we can affordably fix these issues. I use mine as a daily driver and only experience drive train slop when I'm in too high of a gear.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
I'm sure 99% of members here feel your pain on these issues, HOWEVER, this is not the only high power rated car that has issues from the factory and problems with dealers fixing them. Fortunately the Mustang aftermarket is so strong that we can affordably fix these issues. I use mine as a daily driver and only experience drive train slop when I'm in too high of a gear.
Good comments. Dealers will not upgrade any car to the current year standards. If they started doing it we'd ALL want it. LOL!

Jay03GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Fleck 5

My college buddy works for GM and he criticizes the Cobra because he feels that it was just "slapped together" by Ford and consequently has some issues.

Slapped together? Show me a mass produced GM motor that has been pushed to 700RWHP as long and as often as an '03 Cobra motor. Yeah, the IRS has wheelhop. For about 300 bucks you can solve that problem, and that includes labor. The '03-04 IRS is far better in this regard as compared to the 99-01. People seem to forget this is still a mustang. You paid 35k for a car that will outperform almost anything on the road regardless of price.

Fleck 5

Established Member
It is always interesting to see things through other eyes. Keep up the comments.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yea Fleck, I'm having a lot of issues with my Cobra as well.......namely the fact that my neck gets sore every time I mash the accelerator!!!

VERY few changes between the 03's and 04's so there's no real remedy there. This Mustang platform was not originally designed to accomodate an IRS like the Vette's was. Ford had to customize an IRS setup for the Cobras.

Users who are viewing this thread