03 VIN numbers are being issued...

eddy z

Established Member
well, my dealer called me yesterday and just said the my car has been pulled for production but did not know vin # nor production date.. Chorme rim option cancelled but not certain on the program from ford on this yet. Pricing still unknown. I ordered my M.Grey 03 vert on 2/9/02.. Dealership, said ;late June early July delivery.. My 98 vert is ready for trade in..

edz

Retired.
Established Member
On the wheel swap, my dealer has told me that it will be $695 and they keep the old wheels, to bad I had them sold for $500 already.

VTTRAPN03

Established Member
I was the first person to order at this dealership : ) A friend of mine ordered 2 days later and hasn't heard anything yet.

mineral03

Established Member
Yes!!!! Just got a call from my dealer, no prices yet, but got my build date May 6th, and my VIN #300088!! i think i ordered mine 2/21. Finallly, some info!!!!

fangstang

Established Member
Thats funny, I ordered mione on 2/11 and have yet to get my call. I left a message today for my salesman to keep me up to date. I hope he calls me tomorrow.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
My dealer said my car won't be built until Mid June! I am pissed! I ordered my black coupe on 2-8-02 and I am getting it in July! wtf!@#$$% They have a black vert that no one ordered coming in before my car does. What is this shit?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
My order was pulled with ::::::gas guzzler tax:::::: appearing for the first time. The SVT Manager is looking into that...:read:

Black Cobra

Established Member
My order was pulled with ::::::gas guzzler tax:::::: appearing for the first time. The SVT Manager is looking into that...

What about the rest of you that have gotten info on your order lately? My dealer checked on this gas guzzler tax back when he called to confirm the chrome wheel deal, he said that the fuel economy was such that they would not have to charge the tax.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
When I spoke w/ my salesman last Monday, he did say there would be a $1000 gas guzzler tax, but that it was (would be) already factored into the price. I got the impression this means if the MSRP of $34,750 for the coupe does get final approval, the $1000 tax is already part of that. (The same would hold for the price of the verts.) Attention Cobrajim9999 - is this correct?

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
question about gas guzzler

On the new cobra's there is a new gas guzzler tax of $1000 it is suppossed to be built into tht price as per svt. The gas guzzler tax was at $2700 till svt engineer's figured out that if they installed an upshift light on the dash and you shifted at that rpm the car would see a 2mpg improvement which saved us all 1700. On the new dashboard you will see a small orange upshift light that I think comes on at 2300ish rpm. The SVT engineer I spoke to knew that the bulb would burn out or accidentally fall out and they just did it to save us all money. Price quoted to us svt dealers is 34750 for coupe's and 38995 for convert. My car should be car number 204 built week of 5/13 ,and my car is a convertible.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the verification and explanation about the shift light, Jim. BTW - under the thread with pictures (on this forum) is that car on page 2 the mineral grey or is that the silver?

Black Cobra

Established Member
Just got an e-mail from my dealer about the gas tax. Bummer.

BTW, if shifting at 2300 save 2mpg, what would shifting at 1800-2000 save? I shift at 2000 routinely in my '98 and I have 3.27:1 gearing in the rear. Hell, with 3.55:1 in the rear you should be able to ease around town shifting at 1800 rpm.

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: question about gas guzzler

Originally posted by COBRAJIM9999
The SVT engineer I spoke to knew that the bulb would burn out or accidentally fall out and they just did it to save us all money.
Why can't they reprogram the computer to make it come on at 6,500RPM? :-D

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Black Cobra
Just got an e-mail from my dealer about the gas tax. Bummer.

BTW, if shifting at 2300 save 2mpg, what would shifting at 1800-2000 save? I shift at 2000 routinely in my '98 and I have 3.27:1 gearing in the rear. Hell, with 3.55:1 in the rear you should be able to ease around town shifting at 1800 rpm.

Sounds logical, but not so - up shifting too low actually raises fuel consumption. For most modern cars, moderately brisk acceleration gets the car up to speed faster and into the fuel economy gear/engine ranges. In the days of carburtion, the imprecise fuel metering resulted in much wasted gas in the mid range, which is why short-shifting and the old "prtend there is an egg between your foot and the pedal" worked. Today, the egg thing still works, but consider it a hard boiled one.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
okay, so pricing looks like 38,995 what about advertising and shipping...

of course, tax.

Didn't I pay tax on this money when I earned it...

Cant I skip the tax - if I tell them I want it "to go"

LOL

favorite line from a movie.... Mad Max
"Speed is only a question of money, how fast do you want to go?"

Rob03

Established Member
Don't dispair catchmecopper...I was told they were looking at a June build for my Zinc Yellow Coupe...They didn't even say early or late June...just June...I was a little pissed myself...I put my order in on Feb 7th...and I could have waited until much later...now it's like waiting for Christmas like a little kid....

Cheers,
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread