03 Termi Vert vs BigBlock stingray vette

gonz03term

Established Member
Well ,

i just got my first victim. A 1968 Stingray Corvette with a built 454 4-speed .. Vette owner estimates 530 crank horsepower.. Anyways , i saw this guy cruising around my town, and he wanted to play.. Two runs from a 25mph roll, i pulled away in first,second and third.. Walked him both times pretty good. Four car lengths from 25-100mph.

From a dead stop, i launched very easy, he spun tires. By the time he stopped spinning, and i hit about 4k on the tach, i walked him like a dog.. To 100mph i had him by 4-5 car lengths.. My brother Ernie was my co-pilot, and the driver Jake had his dad Jeff in his passenger seat.

Well, it was the dad Jeff's vette, and he was not happy he got smoked three times by a Mustang.. But after we pulled over and talked, he realized that whine he was hearing was a Stage V Steggy blower.. 500+rwh. He shook my hand and said that is one badass Cobra. He had never been beat by a convertible before.

This dude does have another Stingray, which he says has 700hp, but we'll see what happens when we run..

Here's a pic of me and Jeff parked in front of my house right after the race..

p1000417j.jpg

This was my first real action. It felt great. And my heart was pounding for at least an hour after the runs..

Big shout out to Danny Swanson at Swansons Performance in Torrance Ca. I love smacking down vettes ! Thanks

Marc "gonz03term"

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
good kill, i will be having a similar race against my buddies small block 69 vette with H/C/I 350 4 spd ahaha but great kill

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
oooooohhhhh nice kill on the classic Sting Ray with the big block!!! I love running vettes more than anything.

gonz03term

Established Member
First Road Kill !

good race, good kill.... must have been horrifying for Vette dude to beat by a "slow" Mustang.. :D

Ohh , thats what he saw in his mirror, just a slow mustang..After we ran, i gave him some advice, look for the irs from the back (exhaust pipes horizontal), snake from the front and side views.. My car is not fast for a Termi, plus it's a vert.. The next Termi he runs might have 600+rwh. It sure was fun though. I have 315/35/17 wheels with fairly new Nitto 555r's . He might of stayed closer with dr's, but when you catch someone on the outskirts of town, no time to change tires... You run them...

When i saw that vette at the four way stop, it was 10 minutes till 7pm . I was in a hurry to get home to watch Ufc 113. I told my bro that if this dude don't wanna play, i'll get home in time. He wants to have some fun, we are gonna be a little late...

It was worth it. When it went from one lane to two lanes, and he cruised at 15mph and moved over to the right lane to make room for me...He was a damn cool dude. Anyways, i just came back from VP race fuels.. I mixed half 100/91 octane.. Not sure it helped any, the car was tuned for 91, and a mild street tune ... next time i'll have my carmera, and take a vid.. Laters

fink46

Established Member
Nice win....... I love hearing how these terminators fair against old muscle cars. Sounds like they terminate the old muscle to. Congrats!

gonz03term

Established Member
Nice win....... I love hearing how these terminators fair against old muscle cars. Sounds like they terminate the old muscle to. Congrats!

Thanks man.. Jake said at first his dad Jeff was pissed off he lost to a Ford.. A slow mustang he must have thought.. It was'nt till i hammered it and he heard the loud whine ,that he realized this was not a 260hp gt .

It's really fun when you line up against an old muscle car, you never know what they have. Some are stupid fast, and some are all show and no go. This dudes vette was somewhere in between.. Really cool vette, i'm just glad i got the kill....

UncleDan

Established Member
Thanks man.. Jake said at first his dad Jeff was pissed off he lost to a Ford.. A slow mustang he must have thought.. It was'nt till i hammered it and he heard the loud whine ,that he realized this was not a 260hp gt . QUOTE]

It seems that a lot of muscle car guys don't realize what is so special about an 03/04 Cobra, that is until you open the hood. I've noticed this a lot already because I got my Cobra fairly recently and of course a lot of my friends/family were excited to see it, but they don't quite understand how serious of a car it is until that hood lifts and you see a jaw dropping powerplant that looks as if the hood wouldn't close if you placed a peice of paper on top of the supercharger.

SixtiesIron

Established Member
Thanks man.. Jake said at first his dad Jeff was pissed off he lost to a Ford.. A slow mustang he must have thought.. It was'nt till i hammered it and he heard the loud whine ,that he realized this was not a 260hp gt . QUOTE]

It seems that a lot of muscle car guys don't realize what is so special about an 03/04 Cobra, that is until you open the hood. I've noticed this a lot already because I got my Cobra fairly recently and of course a lot of my friends/family were excited to see it, but they don't quite understand how serious of a car it is until that hood lifts and you see a jaw dropping powerplant that looks as if the hood wouldn't close if you placed a peice of paper on top of the supercharger.

na, they didn't know, we explianed that termi's are one of those special cars that live in each era.

As a lightning owner i was telling him only a few cars lightning owners think twince about, termi being on of them along with z06, and ziper, and some euro exotica

i also drive a 68 camaro 500+ hp, the difference i explained to those guys is the termi is completely streetable and mild mannered off the boost where as our muscle cars at that power levels can be kinda hard to live with..

ernie
sixties iron

rsilver

Established Member
Race that vette in a modded 69 mustang. Might be a little more fun! I got a 69 427 vette restored to stock specs (my dads car since new), original engine, interior and paint. It makes 336hp to the rear and 370# torque on a mustang dyno, all stock. Lots of fun to drive but nothing compared to my 04 cobra vert at 480hp with mild mods. Cool race though, its fun to see how the old "muscle" car stack up to the new stuff.
We thought they were fast back in the day.........but this stuff out there now is just sick.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member

ehh... depends on the car and depends on the driver, and powerplant...

HOTROD has a awsome event once a year with STOCK and S.T.O.C.K muscle cars...

And there getting 11's and 10's with N/A powerplants with facotry heads block and factory cams and manifolds...

It will be awhile before the classic big block and small block gets taken away from the drag strip...

I had a 74 nova and a 75 camaro...and im onyl 22

And there was no replacement for a carb'd small block under the hood with a cam swap and some gears...i love my cobra, and my mustang, 1 is stupid fast and the other is pretty quick... but you bring a classic bowtie my way, ill trade it in for a second

So much easier to mod, cheaper... open a summit magazine, go to a swap meet or 2 and you can have a 11, 10 second car with very little money...

i had a 180hp nova when i got it... with a 350... i yanked the 350, put a little cam in it, factory small block 70's corvette heads on it, tuned the quadrajet, and was pulling a 14.1 at 104mph... and heres the shock

Open differential, with 2.73's

on street tires...

went from a 18 second to a 14 second car with about 3-400 dollars...

I love american muscle...

These new cars may be better in so many ways, but you have to thank these muscle cars for everything... without them, we never would of known what was fast...

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Nice kill! Ive been die hard chevy most of my life. My dad and i built many many built small blocks for s10s, a chevy luv, 2-1976 4x4 jimmys, yada yada yada. If one blew on wednesday at the track we would have another one built by saturday and back at the track for a few hundred bucks. Then i met a girl with a 2000 gt lol, built that blew it up and now we have the cobra and well there just as fun to work on. Way different then a timing light and turning the distributor a bit lol. Rip cammed 2v, im going to bring you out the back yard one day!!

Avispa

Established Member
Race that vette in a modded 69 mustang. Might be a little more fun! I got a 69 427 vette restored to stock specs (my dads car since new), original engine, interior and paint. It makes 336hp to the rear and 370# torque on a mustang dyno, all stock. Lots of fun to drive but nothing compared to my 04 cobra vert at 480hp with mild mods. Cool race though, its fun to see how the old "muscle" car stack up to the new stuff.
We thought they were fast back in the day.........but this stuff out there now is just sick.

True enough. My '66 427 makes about 360 hp at the tires and is a good 3 to 400 pounds lighter than the Cobra. It will keep up with a stock Terminator. After the Whipple, though, the vette feels like driving a 6 cylinder Falcon.
....and that's with the big pulley on the blower....jeez.

Users who are viewing this thread